The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Insuring your Galant for what it's actually worth

slugsgomoo

I need to get the collector insurance going, but right now I'm kind of waiting since my only ticket falls off my record in March, and I figure that can't hurt. Car is mostly put away for the nasty season anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

transparentdsm

once i get the car painted ill be going through this process as well. hopefully by then it will be a little easier to deal with as it won't be for at least a year and a half. no more winter driving for the car though. they just changed from sand to sand/salt so the car is put away.

GSX_TC

Very informative thread, thanks Brett. Pm sent.

Kibby

I went to nationwide after state farm doubled my insurance for an accident they didnt pay for. My wife put a small scratch on a truck and we paid for it but because it happened they raised the rate. State farm also had the galant insured as a regualar galant and my crx was insured as a civic. Switched to nationwide and their database insures the vehicle down the the specific model. Plus it got more than cut in half. The galant is insured for like 4g costs like 10 a month. I dont think ill be getting the insurance you have as I plan to blast her down the 1320 lol. They also offer a policy where I can insure a historic vehicle for almost any amount depending on how much I want it to be. My civic vx is insured for 4g, I know its not worth that much and they said I could take it even higher if I wanted.

idreamidrive

I am just finding this information as I recently went through this song and dance, and would like to add additional info.

Most insurance companies require a additional car for each driver in the household. They will not make an exception to this rule. My wife and I both work at the same place, and it is a block from our house, and we walk to work. Even though this is the case, they will not insure you unless each person has a car, not a vehicle, but a car. I have a motorcycle that is insured, but they won't consider that as an acceptable form of transportation. We have two cars, gvr4 and another, so to get the insurance we would want we would have to acquire another car to get it fully insured. Also, even if it is just you driving the car, but you have other people of driving age in your household, they take them as drivers of that car. I got a quote from hagerty for $15k coverage of just myself for around $300 for the year, but after going through the whole process of their questions, it ballooned to $1400 a year as they factored in the other driver(s).

Most insurance companies will only let you drive your car like 300 miles for the super cheap insurance, and you have to be with the car at all times. You use your car to run some errands on the weekend and something happens to it while you are inside the store, that might be not covered. You need to read ALL the fine print.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned