The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First start using speed density...is it possible?

SmoothCustomer

So here's the deal. I'm getting link v3, and all of my speed density stuff all at once and I'm wondering if it will be possible to set it up so that when I do the first start of my car (after pulling the engine) I can be running speed density. Basically I'm trying to save the trouble of having to go with a stock battery, intake and intercooler that I'm just going to replace almost immediately anyway. Thanks in advance for any advice.

broxma

You can run Speed density almost out of the box on an Evo ECU. You need the IAT and the MAP sensor. They wire in to existing wires on the harness and the SD maps are already available over at EvoM.

/brox

SmoothCustomer

Quoting donniekak:
You do not want to run rich and dump fuel into fresh cylinder bores. It will ruin a build.

Ok, this is what I was worried about, but the engine isn't getting rebuilt, just a new HG and timing belt. Is it still not worth the risk?

belize1334

I should think that if the engine is stock-ish that the base-tune would be close enough for start-up. You might be slightly rich or lean but if you leave the close-loop functionality in place then the fuel trims should keep everything in check until you get it dialed in.

prove_it

If I were you I would make the switch to speed density after the break in and your sure it's running right. Dialing in V3 to speed density with out any old logs to build the volumetric efficiency table takes time. It's much easier to switch if you still have a MAF sensor to make readings from.

You need to remember that in order to properly seat the rings you will need to get into the throttle and make some power. Doing so will put you in open loop and you could have issues with that. I would just build all your piping and set it up for speed density, but when you go to start it put a MAF on the turbo inlet and follow DSMlinks guide for setting up the table using a MAF sensor.

It really shouldn't that much work to protect your new engine.

belize1334

^^ He JUST said that the engine ISN'T rebuilt... it's just HG and timing belt.

ktmrider

Just my 0.02, minimize the amount of multiple alterations.

Yes it makes sense to do things all at once however if/when a problem arises troubleshooting is waaaaay easier.

donkeylips

True, but everything is an alteration since he's never seen the car run before. He bought it as a shell(I'm his brother). Running a stock setup at first might be simpler though. He can borrow the stock intake stuff from 497 if he needs it.

ktmrider

^^ Then DEFINITELY run the stock setup first!

prove_it

Like I said it is way easier to set-up the VE table if you have the MAF installed. Way more fool proof too.

Sorry missed the part about just some head work.

Scientist

I'm doing it with Jackal on my freshly built motor.
NO need to get the Evo ECU. Jackal is more of a straightforward setup since you're utilizing the stock ecu

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned