The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car won’t start. Need help!!

mk2davis

Keep us informed about progress.

GVR41380

You need to ensure the ECU isn't damaged as @gvr4ever points out- If the caps are bad it explains a lot.

That said, I've seen a CAS go bad before where it was fine until the car warmed up and then it started reporting extremely erratic data (i.e. 11k+ RPM at idle, etc). I would not replace it until you get into the ECU and confirm what's actually wrong.

If the ISC driver on the ECU is smoked (also possible given the symptoms), don't plug the ecu in after getting it repaired until you verify the ISC isn't bad. I've had the FIAV leak into the ISC, short it, and kill two ECUs in a row before I checked, you don't want that evil on you :D
How do I make sure the ISC is not bad? You’re talking about the ISC on the throttle body correct? Or do you mean the ISC driver inside the ECU?

GVR41380

Here is a picture of the ecu that was in my car. The caps look good but I can’t tell what I’m looking at for the drivers part. Maybe someone can see something I don’t.

IMG_4943.jpeg

IMG_4942.jpeg

mk2davis

I don't think it's the problem, but both sides of that board seem a bit unclean. Maybe a paint brush; I don't know what if any chemicals to use?

GVR41380

I found a spare ISC Sensor that I had in my parts pile, don't know if it's good or bad, so anyway I took off the one that was on the car and swapped in the other ISC, and yet again the car will start up for a brief couple of seconds and then stall off, like the fuel just shuts off. Then I unplugged the ISC from the connector and same thing happens. so im just not going to mess with the car until i get the new ECMLink Cable in the mail, should be here on Wednesday the 7th. Until then I will post what I gather with the data from DSM Link.

mk2davis

And?

GVR41380

Just seen this.It sounds like a dead MAP sensor or a fuel pump issue
I’ve changed the map sensor and the fuel pump is only 2 years old, it’s a walbro 525 Hellcat with the require kit, I’ve gone through the wires on the fuel pump and the relay is new and I checked and cleaned the grounds so still at a lost, I should have the new ECM link cable today fingers crossed that I can get more data from Link when it arrives today, stay tuned

GVR41380

Okay so today the new cable came in and I plugged it in and it works! Well the cable works and I can now log and look into the ECU, but seems like my tune is gone and the ecu some how reset itself. So now I’m going to try and learn how to use ecmLink. I got the car started up and my wideband was reading 7 so I turned it off I’m smelling a bunch of fuel, I am going to need help configuring the ecu inputs. Anyone here know anything about dsmlink for speed density??

turbofonz

So if your tune is gone, that's also likely why the car doesn't run. Between SD not being setup , injectors not scaled correctly, etc.. it's not gonna run

Imback

The ecu resets when you try to start it with low voltage. I would go on the ecmlink forums and also there wiki has a simple rundown of how it works. If you don't want to wait you can just have someone remote tune it for you.

GVR41380

The ecu resets when you try to start it with low voltage. I would go on the ecmlink forums and also there wiki has a simple rundown of how it works. If you don't want to wait you can just have someone remote tune it for you.
This makes sense. I tried to start the car with an almost dead battery a month ago, so I then bought a new battery, I reached out to my tuner who tuned my car back in 2020. Thanks for this information I would of never guessed that.

GVR41380

Okay so I got into Link on the laptop and I scaled the injectors and set up the correct size injectors and now the car runs great! Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it!

gvr4ever

Just curious... How far off were the injectors? I'd thought it would either run rich or lean, but I wouldn't have thought, not at all.

GVR41380

The injector size was at 450 I believe before I had to change them, the car was running really lean to the point where it would start and stay running for about 3 seconds tops.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts