The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo x turbo install now updated with 2.3 stroker build

dsmless

Bumping this back up.
- starting back on this project, made a custom manifold and will start on a 2.3 stroker build this week

CutlassJim

I have something similar in the pipeline of the infinite future. Any tips on how you did the collector into the TS flange? I was contemplating equal length runners and I noticed you said Eff it. Any reason why beside ease of construction?

dsmless

Equal length runners were my first idea but due to the limited radiator to head to hood clearance I chose to run it similar to the factory evo X manifold routing. As it sits Im still using the over the manifold intercooler piping, and dont really want to redue my piping. Maybe if I go water to air intercooling.

The runner I merged two 90 degree elbows and welded that to the evo turbo inlet flange, then joined two straight sections merged at a 13 degree and chopped the end off to match the other turbo inlet. Its a pain to get the cuts right and tacked. You can kinda see in the pictures. Next time Im just going to run individual pipes then merge out into the 1/4-2/3 runners

dsmless

After welding I had to port the runners to get a smooth transition. And 1/4 were welded to 2/3 on one side due to the room

prove_it

RRGHHH get this done already, lol. I can't wait to see finished project.

dsmless

I have been running the stock evo X turbo (15g) with the welded cast manifold for sometime now, I never dynoed it as it woukd be a waste of money for that setup. It pulls very good for the 15 psi, thru the auto trans. But i feel that this built 2.0 has no balls out of a stop, it does load up the converter with 5psi in about 3 seconds on the foot brake. With the billet 20g on the tdo6 TS housing it falls on its face if I dont load it up. So will see how the stroker helps out

dsmless

Started the 2.3 buildup today, just the standard ross pistons, eagle rods and a 2.4 sonata crank.
-ross piston rings
-total seal main and rod bearings
-2g head that has a slight port/polish
-arp thru out
-comp cams 10300
-oem mitsu timing components

Last edited:

belize1334

It'd be nice if someone like fp would make a cast manifold for this conversion. I bet there'd be a lot of people interested in a bolt on solution for an MHI twin scroll turbo.

dsmless

Yeah it be a great idea, I guess it all comes down to a price game. "Why buy (X) manifold and (X) O2 housing to run evo8/9/10 turbo if I can pay xxx for a 16g, 20g and so on".

Im also making a mock up for turbo manifold build for a evo8/9 to a gvr4 before I move out to california and thus sell my garage fab shop.

Well on with progress.
-got the 2.3 buttoned up, will take the temostat housing and oil fikter housing from my current motor when I remove that one.

As my gay sits

dsmless

For some reason my oictures keep getting rotated, will try out a rotation lock on the camera, Im using my iphone/ipad to upload these

dsmless

Had some spare fittings that I snagged from work so decided to make a way over kill catch can setup, overall pretty happy with how it came out

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif for a recirculated crank vent box.

dsmless

Thanks man, it uses a -10 line to go to the intake pipe for the turbo inlet, its stuffed with stainless steel scotch pads. Hopefully that takes care of most vapors. My plan was to originally hook that line up to the exhaust pipe with a slash cut pipe to create a vacumn under WOT, and thus suck all that crankcase pressure and expell it out the exhaust. I maybstill use that idea if I see oil residue in my intake pipe

As it sits

marvinmadman

Am I just missing the suction line in the pic? Looks awesome BTW

EHmotorsports

yeah I do not see the line as well. will need one for this to work properly.

dsmless

Heres the line thats in question, has a baffle that boxes the fitting in so it does not suck up any oil caught in the bottom of the can/box. The fitting in the intake is slash cut to creat a vacumn

G

Staff member
You would have so much more room if you would ditch that radiator.

dsmless

I have thought about loosing the radiator and do an afco, im still running r12 ac, have a big ass trans cooler for the autobox. The stock unit ran constant 210* on my aftermarket water temp gauge with ac on. With this larger aluminum unit Im at 190* with AC on. So looks like this rad is staying

G

Staff member
190 is easy with an affco.

slugsgomoo

unless you have a bunch of sh*t in front of it, tbh if it fits, and your temps are solid, stick with what works.

I'm working on how to engineer my afco to keep the car cooler, when I'm moving it's fine, but when the car is stopped in traffic it's definitely a problem.

Don't take my advice though, I'm actually running an afco, I didn't read about it on the interwebs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned