The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tax time. I wanna build an engine.

OMFGeofffff

So I want to put around $1200 towards building a new engine. I would LIKE a stroker but I can make do with a 2.0. In the end I would like to see between 400hp and 500hp. Basically I want a really fast street car. I plan on getting a hx35 and sticking with the stock exhaust housing and using a T3 manifold(I know one is divided and the other isn't). I can deal with supporting mods myself I just need some input on engine components.

Current mod list:

FMIC, Walbro 255, AFPR, 2g MAF, civic half rad, Boost gauge, and wideband.

Soon to come:

3" exhaust, ~1150cc injectors, tuning(either jackal, dsmlink, or evo 8 ecu), T3 mani, HX35.....

I know a lot of people come on here with hopes and dreams and expect to acheive a goal like mine very easy. I don't see it that way. I know it's going to take me a decent amount of time to research and gather all the right parts for my needs. I'm just trying to get a game plan going here. My first thoughts are deciding whether a 2.3 build is within my budget. I know I'm not giving you guys anything to go off of here. I expect $1200 might not be enough but I plan on my things secondhand if possible to save some money.

PS: I have a 1st gen 7bolt engine in my car right now. What are my options of rebuilding it instead of just buying a bare 6bolt? Can I use a 2g head? Would I need a galant 4g64 crank if I decided to go 2.3l? How's the 2.3 1g/2g 7bolts with crankwalk?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions I'm just pumped to actually start doing some major things to my car. I've been driving and enjoying it for the last year and now it's time to go bigger.

2of9

hey geoff! check this thread out click

some pretty good info there. I'd suggest getting a 6 bolt block somewhere locally, i know there are some here locally lol...just gotta look i guess. Man, it didnt seem like too long ago that I saw some very well built 6-bolt long blocks are going for a killer deal locally though. Good luck man.

OMFGeofffff

Thanks for the link. I plan on getting the block last since I would have to build this in my buddies garage. The least amount of time spent in his garage the less bitching I have to hear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So basically gather pistons, rods, crank, bearings, rings etc then find a block to put it in.

onesickcrx

I think the 1150's aren't going to cut it I am sorry to say. I would do a 2.0 liter with some decent compression like 10:1 and good set of rods... I am not a stroker fan. I would also go with DSMLINK... hope this helps a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

to run e85 your going to need a 3rd more injector. meaning if you have 550cc now on hx35 youll need like 1650cc to run e85.

TylerAdamson

Hahahahah what? Those 1150's should be good for close to 500hp on e85 depending on base fuel pressure. As for the motor, just buy the best you can afford. I personally like the higher compression 2.0l over strokers, but I like a high revving motor. As for internals, I'd got with either a Wiseco HD or Arias pistons mated to Pauter or Manley I-beams. But those are just my personal preferences.

Make sure to shop around for a reputable and reliable machine shop. Not sure how soon you're planning on starting this, but this is a machine shops busy season, all of the racers are getting their motors rebuilt for the coming spring.

OMFGeofffff

Do the 2.4 expo crankshafts fit in a 4g63? I know the actual block is different but can't find a clear answer on the crank.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned