The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1755 Lives on.... Build Thread!

turbophein

haha nice try, no i just haven't figured out what to do with it yet, it won't polish up anymore, its pitted, i thought about painting it, but it will need some serious filler and sanding to make straight/flat again. we'll see what i do with it.

turbophein

well i have updated in a while, my T-belt snapped last april. its been sitting all summer, i started working on her again 2 weeks ago. here's a pic of how the motor looked when it blew...

SSPX0915.jpg

turbophein

Ok so i been doing a lot the last week, i bought the 92 tsi donor car, both motors got pulled from the cars. i pulled off both trannys and clutch/flywheel setup, i removed the 4-bolt rear from the talon, 90% done removing the galant rear, 1 more bolt, it was a pita so i moved onto something different, start back fresh on it today. the motor is pretty clean looks like it had a fresh head job recently, and even some freeze plugs on the bottom end, new Gates t-belt and OEM water pump, even looks like a new oil pump front case.

SSPX0121.jpg

SSPX0123.jpg

SSPX0125.jpg

SSPX0126.jpg

SSPX0127.jpg

SSPX0128.jpg

SSPX0130.jpg

SSPX0131.jpg

SSPX0132.jpg

turbophein

ok so i been cleaning up the motor all day here are some pics from before and after

SSPX0133.jpg

SSPX0134.jpg

SSPX0135.jpg

SSPX0137.jpg

SSPX0138.jpg

SSPX0147.jpg

SSPX0148.jpg

turbophein

ok so here is what i have been doing.

After degreasing the engine...

POR 15 the block and brackets
Installed HKS 264/272
Installed 3g Lifters
Installed BSEK used a mirage spacer instead of BS sprocket
all new gaskets (except head gasket)
All new OEM timing components
POR 15 the engine bay rust spots
Installed, new ball joints, tie rods and sway bar links
cleaned and painted everything
installed my IM after cleaning it out good (so much crap in there) same with the intake ports

here is some pics

SSPX0151.jpg

SSPX0192.jpg

SSPX0183.jpg

SSPX0194.jpg

SSPX0172.jpg

SSPX0174.jpg

SSPX0191.jpg

SSPX0197.jpg

SSPX0199.jpg

turbophein

look at my under hood pics a couple posts up, the blue should all tie in nicely, and it won't even be seen until i get a clear timing cover

IncorpoRatedX

STOP WITH THE BLUE!

Other than that, lookin good.

turbophein

Quoting salisbury:
how does the color matched valve cover hold up to heat?

Held up fine! no problems. this thread needs a update! will do it right now...

turbophein

Ok so there has been a bunch of stuff going on since my last update, i have been installing a bunch of goodies from the parts VR4 i bought, saved lots of money this way!

Ro-Ja Light Weight Wheels 17x7 34 lbs each with tire, the blue lug nuts are being replaced with black ones, before you guys start commenting
ACT 2600 Clutch
Used Shep trans
KYB AGX's
way better/newer exhaust
nice J-Pipe
Braided oil feed line

Also got a new Alternator and Starter for shits and giggles.

SSPX0005.jpg

SSPX0003.jpg

SSPX0001.jpg

SSPX0006.jpg

SSPX0007.jpg

SSPX0012.jpg

Last edited:

turbophein

a couple months later, i have a bunch of new parts that i need to install.

i got a dual stage Boost controller
AEM Blue Fuel Rail, gauge and afpr
Real injen 2g Intake that i need to take the paint off
Rebuilt TB
FP Manifold (being ceramic coated with a 7cm hotside)
Like new EVO III 16g Turbo
I also got a FP 18g cartridge and hotside, sent out a stock compressor housing and Cartridge to FP and got it machined for the 18g and checked for play. well within specs.
Blue spark plug cover (plan on making a vr4 plate to cover the Hayame probably my vr4 #, also the valvecover is going to be painted a wrinkle semi gloss black)

SSPX0119.jpg

SSPX0123-1.jpg

SSPX0376.jpg

SSPX0375.jpg

SSPX0377.jpg

SSPX0331-1.jpg

SSPX0310.jpg

SSPX0312.jpg

Last edited:

turbophein

just got this stuff back a few days ago, and have been doing some stuff the last couple of weeks.

i just got my turbo parts back from the ceramic coater they look great, can't wait to get them on, they all look new again! i had both the evo 16g and 18g hotsides coated, i don't know what i want to use yet, most likely the 18g.

i also been tearing into the galant like a mad man, dyed the headliner and visors Black, installing a oil cooler with earls fittings, new boost controller, new temp gauge, new oil pressure gauge, replaced my dash with a nicer one (not unglued) new shifter bushings, got a FP 18g Turbo, swapped out the interior for some nicer/softer seats from my parts vr4,found some type of short shifter, and pretty much a lot of cleaning up, tucking wires, make everything legit!

SSPX0599.jpg

SSPX0600.jpg

SSPX0601.jpg

SSPX0602.jpg

SSPX0433.jpg

SSPX0495.jpg

SSPX0447.jpg

SSPX0454.jpg

SSPX0449.jpg

SSPX0440.jpg

Last edited:

4thStroke

Whatd you use to dye the headliner? I tried using Rit, but it washed out completely. I assumed it wasnt going to work on the visors, either, so I sprayed them with black upholstery paint. I ended up reskinning the headliner with a micro suede like material I found at Jo-Anne's Fabrics.

turbophein

well after figuring out i had a broken ringland, i rebuilt the motor. was fairly easy to do inside the car/engine bay. new rod bearings, piston & rings, hone'd the cyl's, copper manifold gasket, and a oem headgasket. i also bought a carbon fiber hood. the car runs great so far, i have almost 50 miles on it. i cleaned it up and took some pics

SSPX0853.jpg

SSPX0861.jpg

SSPX0877.jpg

SSPX0875.jpg

SSPX0870.jpg

SSPX0871.jpg

SSPX0866.jpg

SSPX0868.jpg

SSPX0863.jpg

SSPX0683.jpg

Awesome build man. Love the attention to detail you have. Beautiful car. Check out my build and let me know what yah think if you get time

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned