The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch engagement ( more pics )

boostx

why not , its a stock replacement

turbowop

If you use an ACT pressure plate, you should use an ACT disk. Thickness can vary between different disk manufacturers, which can cause....wait for it.... engagement issues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Rausch

Quote:
the TOB with the plastic sleeve that wraps around the shaft (easy there Steve...take a deep breath).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

if both the discs in questions were designed as OE replacements, they 'should' be ok. but as the Whopper stated you would be more likely to have a difference in thickness between manufacturers (manufacturers, not brands, as we know a few are just re branded). This could potentially lead to a higher probability of an engagement issues...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason G.

IIRC the stock discs are slightly thicker then the ACT disc and could causing dragging.
I agree, if you use an ACT pp use the appropriate disc.

boostx

OK
i took out the Exedy and that ACT PP and replace it with another ACT clutch & PP from the Tanny i got. The owner of the tyranny said it shifted like butter in his car.
Now the Tanny is extremely nochey. I adjust out the clutch pedal rod as much as i could, this made it a little better but not much.
One of the shiter cable end on the tranny did not look to good nice so i changed it but one of the new cable i replace it with did not have the adjustment on the console side
There was no change with the new cables installed

this is the original cable it has two adjustment on it

this is the new one with only one adjustment

The next thing i am going to do is change the salve cylinder with a brand new one.

Last edited:

boostx

Got a new slave that did not help.
What are the symptoms if the flywheel step is wrong??????????

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Look under the dash where the clutch master cylinder rod comes through the firewall. Mine was leaking fluid under there and causing all of my shifting problems.

boostx

i am not that lucky , is not leaking :banghead

boostx

Also tried a new 1/4 longer rod with no luck.

boostx

the fork is from the tranny i got and previous owner said the tranny was shifting like butter.
Now its shifting like frozen butter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BoostedAWD91

u might need to replace the master cylinder or rebuild it, that happened to me once and took the master cylinder apart and replace the shaft and internals and it fixed the problem and just did the same with my buddies Galant, it wouldnt disengage correctly and it was the master cylinder

boostx

ok i replace it when i get home
and it does not fix the problem what next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
replace the flywheel..

Last edited:

boostx

would you say this is my problem

strokin4dr

That's what I thought it would be. Are you rebuilding it or replacing it?

squintz13

was there ever an update on this issue....im have the same problems...replaced slave master all lines extended rod when i did the clutch would slip then replaced trans with one i know worked fine and still does not ingage clutch and cant shift or put into gear...

1990ggsxnj

If you cannot put it into gear with the car off, generally this means you have shifter/linkage problems. If you CAN, than it's most likely clutch related. I'm at the place with one of my cars. New used engine with working clutch now doesn't want to disengage in my car. Will see what happens.

656of1000

The trans isn't from a '90 is it? If it is, the shift arm on the trans as well as the cable mounting bracket are different. If you use a '90 trans without changing anything, it will barely shift.

Also, I've had the problem of the shim between the trans and the block breaking in half. I unknowingly installed the trans and tightened it down with only half of the shim there. It caused all sorts of engagement issues because nothing was lined up properly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned