The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird Engagement Vibration (Clutch/Driveline)

JCorbo25

Background: My clutch was slipping and I knew I didn't have much time left so I babied it a couple thousand miles. One morning, it just started vibrating on engagement. The vibration feels rotational, like half the clutch is gripping or wheel hop. This happens when just doing a slow engagement in 1st/reverse, but I got pretty good at slipping it in at 1,500rpms with little to no vibration.

When I replaced my clutch, half the friction material was missing on the pressure plate side. That made sense given my vibrations... so I rebuilt the transmission, replaced the clutch (ACT2100, new TOB, new ball, new fork), clutch slave has 2,000 miles on it, SS clutch line, both front axles (torn CVs) and tossed it back together.

SAME EXACT VIBRATION. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I'm at a loss now. Could it be driveshaft? rear diff dying? half shaft bearing? Maybe my transmission is flexing on clutch engagement? (I installed all the bolts listed in the vfaq, including the 'rear' bolt) Crank walk?

So Vibration:
Slow engagement 1st (no gas): feels like half the clutch is gripping, very rotational, engine bucks
Slow engagement 1st (mild gas): car jerks forward on the rotation grip (grip, loose, grip, loose)
Slip in 1st at 1,500; sometimes a minor clunk, but engages smooth

No issues on 2nd/3rd/4th/5th.

Still on my list to work on:
Rebuild clutch pedal assembly
Rear Axles

I also have a 2WD-4WD center diff (stock GVR4 tranny)

JCorbo25

FFTEC in Hayward (Dave) rebuilt the transmission. He's a pro.

EHmotorsports

Did you install the bolt that attaches the trans on the back side of the block? I find people leave this bolt out a fair amount.

JCorbo25

Yes, I followed the VFAQ and made sure to install all those bolts (including the back side of block bolt).

transparentdsm

hmm, maybe transfer-case? i had a trans that vibrated, but it had a cracked tab and bad bearings on the 1-2 gear cluster ends.

JCorbo25

It happens in first/reverse, so I doubt it's an internal tranny issue.

What happens when the half-shaft bearing has issues? Maybe the driveshaft needs a rebuild?

Could be transfer-case, fluid looked in decent shape when i drained it. Pull it out and turn it by hand?

JCorbo25

flywheel was resurfaced and stepped to spec. Didn't have any signs of cracks or damage when pulled out.

JCorbo25

Ok, I've been noticing that the issue goes away when it's very cold out. I just got it smogged last week and the alternator died on the way home, so I swapped that last night. This morning, almost no engagement vibration and felt like it was running like a top.

Could this just be fluid thickening up? Just baffles me right now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned