The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

4Grim

Took a couple quick picks of my OMP belts mounted. Just have to buy the harness bar now.

Last edited:

4Grim

Mount them where the stock lap belts bolt up to. I just need to buy the eyebolts to hook them up.

transparentdsm

ok sweet, my harnesses already have the clip part so i just need to buy the eyebolts. is that the harness bar from number3? i really like it alot, how is it for passangers in the back seat though? i wont have people in there often, but from time to time there will be people back there.

turbowop

It's like a roller coaster seat for people in the back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif But yeah, that's one of the bars that Harry made.

transparentdsm

so i took my CAS off today to replace the gasket on it and i notice that there is a gap in the camshaft cap, so i pull off my valve cover and ugh ohhh, every single cam-cap was unbolted and looser then finger tight, they werent even touching the caps. the only ones tightened down to spec was the two caps that are right by the timing belt. so i tightened them up installed the CAS turned the car on and vroom -18 inhg, im pumped. i need to get some help now setting the timing because the CAS was off, redo the base idle and then start tuning. also my phantom overheating problem resurfaced, i think it may be another air bubble, after the car reached 219 today i shut it off and heard a small hiss, there was a crack in one line and two pin holes in another line. i think i need to rewire the 6 plug harness also because every time it gets touched it either turns off the fans or makes them run full time.

desant78

dude you must be so stoked fixing your vaccuum issue! Keep up the hard work!

transparentdsm

yeah for sure. im finally able to relax a bit, i've been super stressed over this not able to really do anything because i knew there was a issue that had to be fixed. now i can actually move forward. i also removed 5 of the caps to make sure that nothings was ruined by running the car with lose caps, there weren't any marks. thank goodness for that.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

so getting my parts for sale together and going through boxes and ran across a meth kit that i had bought a while back. now im trying to debate on weather to use it or sell it. i really want to use it, but it needs some things and i need to spend like 150$ to get the kit in my car the way i want it. i could technically install it the way it is, but i wouldn't be happy and i would have to use the washer fluid bottle and i would have to mount the whole thing in the engine bay. i want to mount this in my trunk, keep everything hidden and not look like i have a meth kit in my car. anyone who has meth experience please help me make a decision.

transparentdsm

so i ordered all the parts to finish the meth kit in my car the way i want to install it. im just waiting for the package to come in the mail. today i did some cleaning up of the engine bay. installed a set of PTE 780cc injectors with all new o-rings, the front grill, spark plug cover, cut then painted the bracket and relocated the coil pack, put the clear HKS timing belt cover on and installed my fog lights. i have a heat shield that i painted black and im going to make some brackets for it to fit over the forced performance manifold. i hope to install that tomorrow. here are pictures of what i did today. i only have 1 fog light in just to see how it looks for the time being. i think they might be to small. what about you guys?

got up real early this morning and started getting things done. finished up the heat shield and bracket and installed it.

i also had a spare heat shield that was half rusted all the bolt holes were to bit for bolts so i cut it up for an o2 housing/alternator heat shield. its hidden so i dont mind it looking bad.

while i was at it i made a bracket for the electronic boost controller thats controlled by ECMLink.

and the final product.

im done under the hood for a while. im really really happy with how everything came out. i have the rest of the meth kit on the way, but im probably going to hold off on using it for a while as id like to get the car tuned and running real well and enjoy it for a while before i start playing around again. now i just need to get the harness bar and put the passenger seat in and the car is done.

even though its never done and im actually moving the gauges into the glove box now and working on building a carputer to straight run link all the time and have a constant datalog going and use that as my gauges.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

got all the meth stuff in the mail the other day and i had some free time this morning and decided where to mount the bottle. i put it here.

still trying to figure out where to put the pump, im thinking i might make some brackets and put it here.

if anyone has a better place or a different idea, let me know.

transparentdsm

so i tried a few spots, this is what i liked the most and found easy to run the lines.

carpet tucked under and around the pump

and the routing of the hoses.

i haven't run any of the lines yet. not sure when im going to, but i really wanted to do the trunk portion.

transparentdsm

so,moving time is coming close and i have gotten this thing almost completely finished. i have had the car running for the last week or so now and everything is perfect. no leaks, no noises, solid 145 psi across the boards, pulled the plugs today and they were perfect after 1000 miles, perfect vacuum, pulls super hard and feels great. all of the hard work and careful planing and taking my time was more than worth it. i don't think i could be happier. now i just have to rebuild the driveshaft, do inner tie rod end, boots, put in a cat, get an alignment and have my wideband bung welded in.

transparentdsm

so car started to make some noise, got worse and worse, hoping it would hold out till i could get to phils(dynastylsd) place, then yesterday while pushing my clutch pedal down it felt chunky. so i woke up this morning and pulled the trans out of the car.

after an hour and 20 minutes

here is what i found.

as you can see the collar or sleeve broke off and was laying on the input shaft and just getting torn up something horrible.

while i was pulling the transmission out, the throw out bearing fell out in 2 pieces and im not sure if it can be seen, but the retainer clip is bent and won't stay in throw out bearing.

here is a little bit of the metal shavings that were left on the pressure plate and the starter.

thankfully the pressure plate and the clutch disc were still in perfect condition and the flywheel is still good. i ordered a new OEM throw out bearing and retainer clip, 3 bottles of mt-90 and 1 bottle of 75w90 redline gear oil. i was planning on bringing the transmission out to phil tonight and having him replace the bellhousing and check everything over, but my dad found a trans for 300 locally. im going to pick that up, install it in the car and hopefully be good to go. then bring the broken transmission out to phil(dynastylsd) and have him hold on to the transmission for a little bit while i save up the funds and buy a rebuild kit, new double syncro 2nd gear set, evo 3 5th gear set and a few other little odds and end for the transmission, then have him build me one beautiful transmission and then ship it out to me.

LIV4PSI

The curse of having 3 running VR4s finally struck. Glad to hear you find a new transmission so fast

transparentdsm

yeah, but its all good. going to get the trans tonight and then just waiting on jnz for some parts and fluid. im just happy this happened now and not while i was driving across country in two weeks.

transparentdsm

went and picked up the transmission last night, in the dark... stupid. i got home brought it down stairs to my other trans to change parts, inspect, clean and other little things. well it turns out that the transmission sat for to long and will not go into 5/R. i looked inside the hole where the reverse switch sits and the shaft there is like rusted solid. thankfully the guy gave me his word on it and im going today to get my money back. now im on the hunt again. he has the transmission that i want, and i think we all want, laying in his house. the switchable awd/fwd jdm transmission, i didnt want to spend the money, but i might see if i can persuade him with some of the parts that i have for sale.

edit: got the trans to shift and everything and took the rear cover off to inspect, a little bit dirt, but all good..

Last edited:

transparentdsm

cleaned the trans out and up ran fluid through it a few times to clean everything out and were back up and running. threw my back out putting the trans in, but i can still walk so were all good. all good and happy, also brand new oem throw out bearing.

transparentdsm

about 350 miles with the new transmission and were doing good. the car has been such a dream, i also replaced the inner tie rods, boots, outer tie rods. put prothane bushings in the lower control arms, then gave everything a really good cleaning, car is real clean underneath now, cant wait to get it to the shop to put it in the air, weld in a wideband bung, rebuild the driveshaft, put new tires on, take some underbody shot of the car because of the rust-freeness of the car and then go get it aligned.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts