The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A different engine configuration ... constructive comments please!

cheekychimp

Quoting turboaddict:
all of this is great in theory but it is alot of work for just running a 16g. in my mirage I am dropping boost from 35psi to 25psi beginning at 6500 and 10psi of boost lost by anything north of 7000rpm. Also please don't mess with the amg manifold if you are going to run an evo3/2g head just use the evo3 intake manifold(and for god sake sell the amg to me:). also you are going to loose some bottom end with the longer rod. (if I under stand your setup of stock pistons, and aftermarket rods) the reason is the rod angle with the longer rod is not as great and thus torque goes down. this is how you can rev higher; to regain this people were going with the 92-94mm crank to overcome the loss and then some.

Again I am not trying to piss on your campfire but a stock 2.0 will be perfectly fine with what you are trying to accomplish and last for a long time. (it seems that you are trying to hard. or just think too much about what could be (as most of us do). I myself dream of a 4g61t with 11-1 compression on E85 for power and mpg's.

I think you make some very good points and I think you are quite correct that at the end of the day, for what I want, the stock rebuild option will work just fine. I feel very strongly however that even though the "don't fix what ain't broke!' philosophy has a lot of merit, if no-one had deviated from the tried and tested path many years ago we would all be using EVO III 16G manifolds and turbos, there would be no strokers or super long rod motors, and this board would have long since become very boring.

Often the end conclusion of discussions like this is far less significant than the information that is spawned as a result of them. I've never heard of a Hyundai Sonata. I don't think I've ever seen one in Asia. But in fact if I want to see the effects of the AMG Cyclone mated to a 2G head this offers me a perfect opportunity to try it out and it's completely reversible. That sort of info is actually pretty awesome.

Also we tend to look at these threads individually, when in fact quite often the information in one can be cross referenced with that of another. Perhaps building a 1.8 litre super long rod 4G64/4G63 hybrid turbo engine doesn't have a great deal of merit, but it has given me a lot of ideas nonetheless. Jeff mentioned above that even taking into account the trade offs a lot of these engines would probably still perform better than a stock 2.0 litre. My 2WD 1.8 Galant GLS in the UK puts out a pathetic 89 hp. There are a lot of insurance liabilities for increasing capacity above that of the stock 1.8 litre capacity over there. But I bet a 4G61 crank in a 4G64 block an AMG Cyclone Manifold and AMG head (plus fuel injection and an 8800 rpm redline) would make close to 150 hp with a decent header and exhaust! I also highly doubt that even if I went for the 1.7 litre 4G61/4G63 combo that the bottom end would be any more soggy than that of the 89 hp stock 4G37.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

exactly
one other thing that you have to remember is that i was planning this engine for a FWD car, where torque isnt needed and top end was a focus for me. the only reason I thought to bring it up was your thought on revs and top end. I believe that the 61/63 combo is a great idea. the side loadings on the pistons will be much lower than a 63. while still being able to use cheap pistons, and u can even use the rods from the 2.1 builds so they are available as well.

as far as awd goes. from what i have learned about strokers, and I have decided to do a long rod 2.4 for my galant. but it will have different goals than I had for the mirage.

turboaddict

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quoting turboaddict:
all of this is great in theory but it is alot of work for just running a 16g. in my mirage I am dropping boost from 35psi to 25psi beginning at 6500 and 10psi of boost lost by anything north of 7000rpm. Also please don't mess with the amg manifold if you are going to run an evo3/2g head just use the evo3 intake manifold(and for god sake sell the amg to me:). also you are going to loose some bottom end with the longer rod. (if I under stand your setup of stock pistons, and aftermarket rods) the reason is the rod angle with the longer rod is not as great and thus torque goes down. this is how you can rev higher; to regain this people were going with the 92-94mm crank to overcome the loss and then some.

Again I am not trying to piss on your campfire but a stock 2.0 will be perfectly fine with what you are trying to accomplish and last for a long time. (it seems that you are trying to hard. or just think too much about what could be (as most of us do). I myself dream of a 4g61t with 11-1 compression on E85 for power and mpg's.

I think you make some very good points and I think you are quite correct that at the end of the day, for what I want, the stock rebuild option will work just fine. I feel very strongly however that even though the "don't fix what ain't broke!' philosophy has a lot of merit, if no-one had deviated from the tried and tested path many years ago we would all be using EVO III 16G manifolds and turbos, there would be no strokers or super long rod motors, and this board would have long since become very boring.

Often the end conclusion of discussions like this is far less significant than the information that is spawned as a result of them. I've never heard of a Hyundai Sonata. I don't think I've ever seen one in Asia. But in fact if I want to see the effects of the AMG Cyclone mated to a 2G head this offers me a perfect opportunity to try it out and it's completely reversible. That sort of info is actually pretty awesome.

Also we tend to look at these threads individually, when in fact quite often the information in one can be cross referenced with that of another. Perhaps building a 1.8 litre super long rod 4G64/4G63 hybrid turbo engine doesn't have a great deal of merit, but it has given me a lot of ideas nonetheless. Jeff mentioned above that even taking into account the trade offs a lot of these engines would probably still perform better than a stock 2.0 litre. My 2WD 1.8 Galant GLS in the UK puts out a pathetic 89 hp. There are a lot of insurance liabilities for increasing capacity above that of the stock 1.8 litre capacity over there. But I bet a 4G61 crank in a 4G64 block an AMG Cyclone Manifold and AMG head (plus fuel injection and an 8800 rpm redline) would make close to 150 hp with a decent header and exhaust! I also highly doubt that even if I went for the 1.7 litre 4G61/4G63 combo that the bottom end would be any more soggy than that of the 89 hp stock 4G37.

I agree and as I said I dont want to to stifle anyone's ideas but at the same time spending a bunch of money to get not that great of a return on investment doesn't make sense or cents. I love bench racing and look forward to others ideas. If you were trying to go crazy with this setup I would probably say something different, but if you are only looking for 400whp or less this just seems like alot of extra work. also something you way want to consider is a higher silicon content after market piston, these are harder and dont grow nearly as much, they act more like a stock piston, this may be another answer for ya.

as for the comment about the amg manifold I was just taking a shot I have been looking for one of these for forever with zero luck:-(

what do you have for fuel where your at? is an ethanol base around or no? this may be a avenue to look down for different out of the box thinking. As I said I really want an 11-1 compresstion 1.6liter motor on just e85 and see how far I can this set up. anyway good luck with whatever you decide to try and if I cn think of anything else I will be sure to post it up. I also look forward to seeing the build;-)

cheekychimp

Quote:
what do you have for fuel where your at?

Well the Shell V-Power is supposed to be 98 octane but I have heard stories of 98 being quoted when in fact it is not the RON rating at all so I don't know. There are no ethanol based fuels here at all, however all our taxis and minibuses now run on LPG. Years ago people said LPG (or propane) had a 110 octane value but I have never really heard of anyone making big power on LPG, so again I am not sure.

I did think of putting a big LPG tank in the trunk and cutting a second gas lid in the quarter panel (propane injection with propane fill ups at every gas stop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif)

mountaineerjeff

if you mix 20% V-power with 80% Techron it will give your mitsubishi the power of V-tech

cheekychimp

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif LMFAO ... that would upset the Type R LOL.

mountaineerjeff

well see vtech is pretty much the same as a turbo (if you ask a honda guy) so basically your vr4 could be twin charged.

so much for constructive comments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting cheekychimp:
I feel very strongly however that even though the "don't fix what ain't broke!' philosophy has a lot of merit, if no-one had deviated from the tried and tested path many years ago we would all be using EVO III 16G manifolds and turbos, there would be no strokers or super long rod motors, and this board would have long since become very boring.

Amen. I say buck the system. Many things that are now considered the norm were once some crazy idea. COP, twin disc clutches, AWD, overhead cams, 6 speed trannies, and much more are all realized ideas.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned