The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Calculating Flow.

cheekychimp

How do you calculate flow to enable you to match your turbo to a given engine build?

I remember a while back I was recommended NOT to run an EVO III 16G on a 2.3 litre because it wouldn't flow enough air for the stroker. But what about something like FPs 68HTA? It seems it would spool ridiculously quickly and at 47lbs of max flow would hold on a little longer. Is there any way to calculate at what RPMs it would get overrun?

I realize that there is always going to be a compromise between spool up and flow and it's inevitable that if you want to take maximum advantage of the 8000 to 9000 rpms power band in a drag car, you are going to be limited to a turbo that probably won't spool before about 4000 rpms.

But what about a street car? It seems to me that the 68HTA on a 2.3 litre ought to perform similarly to an EVO III 16G on a 2.0 litre. The advantage being that spool up on the 68HTA is not supposed to suffer.

Thoughts comments?

Last edited:

cheekychimp

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Damn! Arguably the most informative two word post I have ever seen. Where the hell has that page been hiding? THAT Sir has been bookmarked. I'll be back in a few days. Time to make a lot of coffee!

Thanks Muskrat.

H05TYL

tis a really good read for sure - every turbo car should come with a copy of that in the glovebox.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned