The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1900 - 'GOLFBALL' build - 2.4-AUTO-NITROUS.... Street car?

2of9

awesome progress. I was bored at work and read pages 1-4. Love to see these kinds of builds, especially that of a GVR4! Splendid job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

GolfBall

Quoting onesickcrx:
You got a hell of a setup but why 3 bolt rear and axels?

budget build... 3bolt rear is what it had so its what i got for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting Blown1:
Nice choice on the turbo my boy runs the same one on his 10sec DD evo maybe the DBB version though.
Out of curiosty though why didnt you mount the fuel cell under the car or at least do something like this

yeah i havn't heard anything bad about the 6262's so far. i was gonna do that and then decided i wanna drive it so kinda just mounted it in there for now. i will chop out the trunk and do it proper down the road.

Quote:
Wow. All that work to weld up a 3bolt rear once you brake a axle you fu-ked. You will never get the chunk of axle out. You would have been better off just putting in a 4bolt now.

all what work... 20 min to pull the diff and an hour to weld it up? save me the time and money of gettin a 4 bolt and gets it ready to race for now.... when it brakes i can then deal with gettin a 4 bolt.

mitsuturbo

A welded 3 bolt will probably last a hell of a lot longer than a stock open diff 3 bolt. At least the torque will be distributed evenly between them. Also, with a welded center, that should alleviate some stress on both rear axles as well.

belize1334

I would be worried about high pressure drop running that much air through a dual-pass intercooler.

mitsuturbo

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
If they can handle the turning, they should hold up pretty well under some torque, if everything else is equally distributed.

I did manage to snap 13 3 bolt axles before i finally got a 4bolt rear end. I beat the sh*t out of some 4bolts and never broke one yet.

GolfBall

Quoting belize1334:
I would be worried about high pressure drop running that much air through a dual-pass intercooler.

where my head is at exactly... its the next thing on the list to get upgraded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting turbowop:
3bolt axles aren't going to like parking lot turning with a welded diff.

yeah it seems to be fine so far but haven't done any launches yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif hahah

finished catch can pics...

P9221101.jpg

P9221104.jpg

P9221102.jpg

Street Surgeon

FastJetta,

Gotta give you some props man, I'm not sure how much 4G63 experience you had but I really like the fact that you just dive right in and make it work. If it messes up, you just replace or fix it! Too many people (myself included) just overanalyze things to the point of retardedness but you just make it work. Good stuff man keep it up, and nice vid w/the viper too.

Galantvr41062

So what is the hold up on the 4 bolt rear end? They are a dime a dozen now days, do not say AWS because you can have a 4 bolt and AWS.

~John

GolfBall

Quote:
So what is the hold up on the 4 bolt rear end? They are a dime a dozen now days, do not say AWS because you can have a 4 bolt and AWS.

i just had the 3 bolt so im making it work. when it breaks i will go search for a 4 bolt. i deff could car less about the aws. this is a straight line car for sure. aws is just more weight i dont want. a lot of the 4 bolt rear ends i saw weren't all that cheap.

Olson

Just went through the whole thread and I have to say its full of win. Love it home grown down to the basics power and no bull sh*t.

GolfBall

went to the track tonight...

link

was fun and did a really gentle 13.7 at 120... but sadly broke my trans...

so pulled my trans out tonight to see what the damage was form breaking at the track....

P9281137.jpg

P9281136.jpg

P9281125.jpg

P9281135.jpg

P9281134.jpg

P9281131.jpg

P9281130.jpg

P9281129.jpg

P9281128.jpg

P9281127.jpg

P9281126.jpg

P9281124.jpg

P9281132.jpg

so guess im not rebuilding this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif new built tranny FTW

GolfBall

really not positive what happened... i had a missed shift 1-2 first run... but who knows when it actually broke. i mean the trans had 175,000 miles on it so : )

i got a new trans in the works. HE HE

Street Surgeon

What fluid were you running in that trans if you don't mind my asking?

mitsuturbo

I've seen that shitty slider blow up far too many times. I have NO idea why they went to that flimsy piece of sh*t in the later model transmissions.

GolfBall

Quoting Street Surgeon:
What fluid were you running in that trans if you don't mind my asking?

90% syncromesh with 10% lucas i believe was the mix i was running... in the new trans i think im gonna go straight redline.

mitsuturbo

In the new trans, make sure you dont have that same piece of crap 3/4 assembly.
The earlier models have a MUCH stronger slider, and do not have a record of going kaboom like yours did.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned