The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

14bCrazy

Hey!!! Is this car done yet. I should be in Hong Kong in a few weeks and I want to ride in it!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not kidding about being there by the way.

curtis

There you go Paul your first volunteer to help work on the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Paul's mechanic has went belly up and project is on hold for the moment. We're discussing on shipping the car to a non disclosed hiding spot in the US /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif for a final build free for all then ship back. It's all in planning stages now if we need help from anyone expect Pm's to be flowing. His car needs to be finished and all the parts in one pile instead of all over the world.

Oh Paul... T said get it here and the tuning problems could be cured after its completed we could also get the car on a trailer and to a dyno either far north or down south from here just dependent on which port it would be leaving from. I need to get a PM of to you just been busy sorry.

cheekychimp

I spoke to some people at the end of last week. My only concern at the moment is the fact that I cannot insure anything on the car for anything other than total loss at "market value". Given that I was told to expect the car to be sitting in the open at the dock for three days in the States, THAT is a big worry. Anyone could smash a window and walk off with anything that was put in with the car for installation at your end. Likewise any wannabe DSM Mechanics who fancied taking a few intercooler pipes, a turbo or whatever could probably be done in thirty minutes.

The only good thing is the car looks like crap from the outside so wouldn't be that obvious perhaps.

Anyway let me get the ball rolling and speak to a few other people. If anyone is reading this and is either a Customs Officer or knows one or even works at a dock, I'd really appreciate it if they'd say something or even offer to help offer the car a bit of security from when it lands until it reaches our trusted board members.

BTW Curtis (and Thomas), Aaron, John, Chris and all the others I haven't really said enough yet so I might as well say it publicly now! THANK YOU!

The problems I have had with this car have literally brought me to tears. This really has lifted such a weight from my mind even if we aren't quite there yet. I so want to finish this car.

turbowop

Did I miss something? Where is the car right now? Does Curtis have your car? WTF is going on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

curtis

Car is outside Paul's place in HK, part of his parts are with it and others are stored at his old mechanics place then I have a crate of stuff here.

Paul I think the best thing to do is get a mil van /18 wheeler trailer with no wheels/ cargo box or whatever you want to call it. Build a shelf in the rear above where the trunk would be load it up with boxes then back the car in then do the same above the hood area and brace and bolt so nothing moves. Then if there's any space left go spend a few thousand at a junkyard on anything HKDM/JDM etc and load the bastard up. All that stuff could be sold off here/ebay/dsm trader/supra sites /240 sites etc. This would recoop the money you spent at the yards and would pay for the car and your parts voyage across the water. By being in a sealed container with a band on the lock that can't be broken its secured and insured and any dsm guy at the port at long beach would think its a cargo container full of rubber dog sh*t. (I know you've seen Top Gun) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif It's funny you should mention that...

944af64b1b9996a.jpg

JB

Quoting curtis:
By being in a sealed container with a band on the lock that can't be broken its secured and insured and any dsm guy at the port at long beach would think its a cargo container full of rubber dog sh*t. (I know you've seen Top Gun) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I see what you did there.

cheekychimp

Well the car runs, thanks to Brian's information regarding the 'bum' timing mark on the fluidampr pulley. A few other setbacks caused some rethinking. The Koyo rad won't fit with the big turbo, so I had to have something custom done. Working with Iceman on a plug n play harness for the M&W CDI box and COP.

But this little project has got me excited. I have been looking for a touchscreen monitor for the onboard PC and DSMLink software because I didn't like the 7 inch screens. After long research and numerous failed attempts to find something that fit finally I have found this: -

The plan is to build a custom flat black aluminium bezel for the screen so it fills that aperture perfectly, which it almost does already. The controller board will be secured to the back of the screen and the button panel installed under a custom plate in the coin tray right below the screen. Done properly it should be very clean, hopefully not ricey and just functional. Big 8.9" transreflective display (visible/readable in direct sunlight) with a touchscreen. This will allow DSMLink or ECMLink to be hardwired and additionally it will allow the PC to become a media player for music/videos as well as allowing mobile internet connection and satnav via Google earth.

I know some people don't wholly agree with the in-car PC but to me it is a far more functional setup for tuning than a lap top on the passenger seat and the other functionality is just taking advantage of what is available rather than having to mount a CD player in the glovebox, satnav on the windshield and post to galantvr4.org from a cellphone.

BTW the console is just a hacked mock up I sent the company for fitment.

RedTwo

Curses! I was about to claim the 'ultimate street galant' title with squatters rights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
So this thing must be almost ready, so maybe finished in time for the weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Is that location going to make it hard to use the touch screen? The gear stick might be in the way for some of the lower half

turboflanagan

That is awesome bro!

Although I was hoping that I would have to pay Curtis a visit when the car came over here.

Or is that still part of your plan?

cheekychimp

I guess if you were in first, third or fifth your hand might obstruct the screen a bit, but conversely in those positions your hand is going to be conveniently located to touch the touchscreen. In all honesty though I think trying to do stuff on the computer whilst driving would be bloody dangerous. I actually have a Griffin Powermate which I want to install for stuff like scrolling through playlists because I think that will make it as safe for playing music as any MP3 type player in that location.

Generally though there is a fair bit of distance between the shifter and the screen, more so with a shorter shifter.

img.php

Peter, getting the car to Curtis is still the plan. It isn't as easy as I had hoped, but doable subject to cost. The big problem is customs apparently frowns upon you using the car as a 'shipping container' which means anything not attached to the car prior to shipping is subject to seizure and confiscation. Now I guess you can argue if the vehicle is being sent over for the purpose of modification (making it exempt from tax) that stuff like speakers and amps etc are included in order that they can be installed and attached, but i don't know how that will fly. Anyway the idea is to do as much as possible here and have Curtis tidy stuff up.

jasonvr4

Ok, So its been a long time since we have seen the progress on your Vehicle !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

So tell us something new !!! Is it nearly complete?? have you done anything new??

regards Jasonvr4

and all the other members on this website wondering were your at with this build!!!!

cheekychimp

Well the car won't be coming to the States anytime soon unfortunately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. The shipping companies are charging $8,000-USD to ship a container one way to the States. Either they just don't want to do it or they are trying it on. I'm talking with Curtis and trying to decide what the best plan of action is now. The idea was originally to get everything fabricated first and ship everything at the same time. Unfortunately what has happened is that the crate that was built to ship everything is now occupying much of the middle of his workshop. This is making it very difficult for Curtis to get his own car into the workshop properly to do all the measuring and test fitting for some of the fabrication work. I think we'll just have to bite the bullet and ship that crate first to get it out of his hair and give him room to work. There are also one or two pieces in the crate which I am now going to need anyway since it looks like a lot of parts will have to be installed at this end.

On a positive note, the car does run. As we speak, flanges are being made/welded for the exhaust. It's a nice exhaust but everything was slip fit (and leaked!) It was either clamps or flanges and I decided on flanges.

Things left to do before she drives include plumbing/welding in a recirculation fitting for the intake pipe, fitting some boost control and fitting the rear sub-frame bushings to see if that is the cause of our noisy rear end issues (I am praying it is the solid bushings and not a drive train or rear LSD issue!!!).

The twin port actuator and bracket has been machined to fit on the turbo and we had gaskets custom made here. All the oil lines and fittings have now been sourced/modified and installed.

After that it comes down essentially to wiring in gauges, electronics etc, fitting the interior, bodywork and paint.

So mechanically, 90% of it is done but there is a still a lot of electronics and wiring that needs doing.

Paul.

JB

Glad to see some progress on this car Paul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

Crate has been moved out of the shop area and next to the door. That wasn't an easy task. Everything in the shop including the car had to go out then back in in pieces. Had a couple people slow down like i was getting ready for a yard sale. Stuff in the crate has been reboxed/inventoried/and banded up. Other stuff has been built and and down to the small stuff now.

Finished the trunk panel assembly today and need to find a box large enough for the bottom section and and the smaller panels. Its my own built aluminum erector set its all assembled with rivnuts and stainless button head machine screws. Paul has a bunch of fancy toys that will go under this in the spare tire hole and the side pieces are for the battery and the other side is for the meth tank. Still have a little work left to do but didn't want to pull it all the way down and have to reassemble everything from the ground up again.

Paul I left the task of putting on grey 3M double sided tape for your final install after you see where all the toys will mount. And also didn't drill the 4 holes on the back edge where the phillips sheetmetal screws lock the factory plastic pieces down was afraid they wouldn't line up in your car.

Oh and if you want the storage hole wrapped in suede send me a PM, I know you have a package tray and other stuff in the interior around the rear seats that needs to be addressed and didn't want you to run out. I can take it in the living room and unroll it and see what we have left if your wondering. Just yell back before I get it disassembled and boxed up.

Raw metal

Wrapped in suede

cheekychimp

About bloody time you got your finger out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That looks really, really nice. I PM'd you to say I think I'll keep the storage area bare metal. I know stuff might slide around a bit in there and get a bit noisy but I'd like to keep that space to chuck anything I don't want to mess up the nice part of the trunk. You know, tools, wet umbrellas, dirty shoes, flip flops from the beach, frozen stuff from the supermarket etc etc etc

I think those metal edges need to be black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You just couldn't resist the aviation/rallyesque stainless drilled metal could you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I like the safety and security aspects of this as well. I know it isn't and wouldn't qualify as a firewall but having the battery and meth tank isolated and that large metal sheet between the trunk and the rear seats is till awesome and whilst getting into the speaker/amplifier area will be a pain if anything breaks later on at least no-one can just undo four screws yank the RCAs and walk off with a $1000 amp now.

Last edited:

CmanorVr4

Damn Curtis,,,that trunk space is just SICK!! Incredible job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

curtis

Thanks Jason

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN ANYWAY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned