The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Remote starter

toybreaker

iconoclast
One of the more important things to remember is that nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently talented idiot.

I know I'd find a way to start/run my car off a cliff with a remote starting system that relied on me having my sh*t together every time I used it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Programing in a specific shutdown procedure seems to work really well, as it requires the vehicle to be running, in neutral, with the e-brake on, and then the doors will lock, and the system shuts the motor off. As long as the vehicle isn't disturbed, doors opened etc, even I couldn't screw up the remote start operation.

Orrrr, could I?

One thing to consider is that the putting the handbrake on in freezing weather can potentially leave you stranded with the e-brake cables frozen in the on position. These cars are getting old, and the little booties on the cables back at the brake calipers are starting to deteriorate. This allows water to run down the cables, where it collects. Add cold weather, and you'll be putting some serious coin in the swear jar.

New e-brake cables are available from jnz tuning, and are fairly cheap.

Cheap bastards like myself repair the booties with some rtv and some creativity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

After, I learn the hard way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

G

Staff member
Quote:
Quote:
Something wrong with using the e-brake switch?

if its in gear and the e-brake is up it will still try to start..

that's the whole point of using the e-brake switch, i have done this before. if the e-brake is not up it won't start if hooked up properly. also i have seen high end installers put sensors and or micro switches on either the shifter assembly or the actual gear selector on the tranny to make sure it is in neutral or no starty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

GVR-4

Thanks for all the info; it has helped a lot.

Does anyone have any other suggestions than DEI. I want to keep it under ~$100, but I don't want a piece of junk either.

jepherz

Staff member
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Something wrong with using the e-brake switch?

if its in gear and the e-brake is up it will still try to start..

that's the whole point of using the e-brake switch, i have done this before. if the e-brake is not up it won't start if hooked up properly. also i have seen high end installers put sensors and or micro switches on either the shifter assembly or the actual gear selector on the tranny to make sure it is in neutral or no starty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And if it's in gear??? The whole point to NOT installing a system NOT made to go on a manual transmission is prevent that one 'mistake' from happening. I don't care how smart you are, nobody is perfect, and if it's possible to start the car in gear, it will eventually happen.

boostx

i have mine install for about 1 year now and have not have any accidentally starting, and in the winter in NYC i user it every morning ( i was spending more on gas ) and there is lots of morning when i tried to start it and i would not start ...
The only thing i say is you must periodically check your the safety system to make sure they works.

91GSR

wow...this is wuite a resurrection...i was wondering if anyone has got a remote start/keyless entry ont heir vr4?

mountaineerjeff

bring it back from 06 lol
yeah im in the same boat, I want something that can start my car, I can use to lock/unlock the doors, and use as a turbo timer.

vegeta1170

I got a clifford matrix alarm on my Galant. It has turbo timer and remote start. I use them both and never have had a problem. I even park my car in the garage. I just picked up a remote start unit @ Circuit City for $40 for my Odyssey. I haven't installed it yet but I see them all the time on customers vehicles.

91GSR

im not as big on the starter, just want the keyless entry. sooner or later ill upgrade to one with a turbo timer and all that but i really dont think its necessary right now.

broke down

I used a remote starter on a manual trans for years. I just got in the habit of putting it in neutral with the parking brake on. Never had a single problem. I've heard of people using a proximity (megnetic) switch on the shifter, so if it's in gear the switch will not allow it to work.

steve

I wouldn't do it unless you have it setup with a switch as described above. You can say "I always park it in neutral with the brake on" etc etc, but there are always strange situations that come up, and they can end up changing lives forever. :/

91GSR

but as i said. i dont really want the remote start. i had a buddy accidentally run his car into the side of his house because he forgot...i just want keyless entry, and possibly an AM alarm. from what ive read the stock alarm is sh*t. basically i wanna know if its possible, and if it is possible if someone has done a write up on it. boostx had a link but its brokded

G

Staff member
All you have to do is use the switch in your e-brake. If it's not engaged it won't start. Wired correctly of course.

91GSR

GET OFF THE REMOTE START ALREADY...i know the topic is remote starter but i didnt start the thread. i just wanna know about the damn locks lol

steve

Maybe you should have started a thread, about the topic that you're interested in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

91GSR

i ddint wanna get flamed for not searching for an existing thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ill start a new one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JSchleim18

^^^IF you decide to get the turbo timer feature it's going to have remote start no matter what. But I'd say get anything Viper/Clifford/Python...Directed Electronics makes em all

turborichvr4

yeah but dont get new viper like the 5707 this alarm suck we hate them with a passion at best buy if you could get your hand on a 5900 you are better off now i advice you to get the auto page it is a better alarm an the range on it it a true one mile range good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned