The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Remote starter

GVR-4

What brand and model do you guys recommend for a remote starter?

Anything from one of the DEI names, but please don't do it on a manual trans car.

gvr4737

my compustar alarm system has a remote starter...

has alot of other crazy goodies as well like turbo timer, valet mode, weird stuff .

defintly a nice system

Rausch

Quote:
Anything from one of the DEI names, but please don't do it on a manual trans car.

Why not??? i did, and i know many other who have... there are a few ways to get around the clutch switch without cutting it out of the remote start loop. search a bit and see what some of the other members here have used (i remember one with switches on the shifter base keeping the car from starting if the car is in any gear...) whats wrong with that??????????? but yeah any of the DEI are decent.

Rausch

Quote:
I think compustar has mechinizms in place for sticks as well.

some systems do, the trouble is if you use a studder box. thats why some of the other ideas work. they don't interfere with the clutch switches.

A buddy tried to explain that compustar makes you leave the car running, get out, lock the doors with the remote, and then turn off the car with the remote. Then, if any doors are open or alarms tripped, it won't allow you to remote start.

-Josh

GVR-4

Thanks a lot for the replies and info. It's for my wife's Protege5, not the Galant. But the MP5 is still a stick. I'll probably use some switches like Boostx did.

boostx

Quote:
Soemthing wrong with using the e-brake switch?

if its in gear and the e-brake is up it will still try to start..

JNR

Who leaves their car in neutral??

I suppose if you knew it was in neutral, the remote start would be alright (for a manual), but why not just go out there and start it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
(I have lived in cold, wintery climates and remember how cold it can feel in the am, but I don't want to have to remember if it's in gear, lol)

I have trained myself and my wife to use the Parking brake no matter what and Always leave the car in neutral.

If someone else moves my car or I have to park on a hill I simply don't remote start it.

I have never had a problem with it trying to start in gear.

And with most turbo timers it needs to be in neutral or it will kill itself when you let off the clutch... so if you turbo time... i dont see a problem

swade

boostedinaz

Exactly. Turbo timers help inthis situation.

It is just a matter of being careful. If you are not sure if it is in gear don't remote start it.

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
Quote:
Soemthing wrong with using the e-brake switch?

if its in gear and the e-brake is up it will still try to start..

And immediately stall, scaring the crap out of everyone, but probably not doing any significant damage.

jepherz

Staff member
I have a compustar 2wss and it works amazingly. The remotes work further than any other brand, and it has a lot of good features as mentioned above.

With a manual trans, you pull up the ebrake, pull out the keys (car stays running), get out of the car, and shut the door. The alarm then shuts off the car, locks the doors, and arms the system. This way, you're always guaranteed to left it out of gear. If you didn't let the alarm shut off the car, the remote start won't work.

Quote:
Quote:

Why not??? i did, and i know many other who have... there are a few ways to get around the clutch switch without cutting it out of the remote start loop. search a bit and see what some of the other members here have used (i remember one with switches on the shifter base keeping the car from starting if the car is in any gear...) whats wrong with that??????????? but yeah any of the DEI are decent.

Yes, you are correct as with everyone else here. It can be done and has been a million times. My problem is I worked in the car audio/video/security business for 7 years and have seen just about all the worst case scenario's from people installing their own remote start on manual trans cars. It only takes 1 mistake to turn into a potentially huge problem. My shop would refuse to do them on manual trans cars because of the liability. Anywho, did not mean to create such a stir with what I said, I just don't think it is a good idea.

Rausch

gotcha. no worries. i just wanted it to be clear that it can be done, and can be done safely. as long as they are aware of the potentials.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts