The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Motor Won't Turn Over

CarRacer

Finished up swapping in the rebuilt motor today. Tried to get it fired up and didn't have any luck.

The starter just clicks. I pulled the starter and jumped power to it. Starter spun fine. I double checked my grounds and everything is fine.

I tried to turn the motor over with a breaker bar and it wouldn't budge. The starter is engaging, but the motor is bound up and will not turn. The motor turned over fine when I was doing the timing belt installation. I didn't try to rotate it after installing the tranny.

I've resigned myself to pulling the tranny and seeing if that frees it up. I think the game plan is to pull the tranny, get the downpipe back on and try firing up the motor without the transmission.

Any simple fixes I may be missing?

turbowop

How you gonna fire up the motor without the transmission? That's what the starter mounts to. Unless you have a spare bell housing you can bolt on temporarily.

GVR4_1057

Does the clutch actuate properly? Did you change flywheels?

CarRacer

Crap. You're right. Well, the motor doesn't turn over regardless, so it's coming out. I guess I'll just double check the clutch alignment with the tool and see what shakes out.

CarRacer

New fidanza clutch and flywheel. Clutch did work, I freshly bled it with an air powered bleeder.

GVR4_1057

Could it be a FWD flywheel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

CarRacer

That's what I thought too at first. I tried turning over the motor with a breaker bar and it wouldn't budge.

Could a misaligned clutch disk caught between the pp and crank bind up the motor?

GVR4_1057

Maybe try loosening your transmission mounting bolts a bit and slide it 1/2" or so away from the engine and try to rotate it again.

Did you shim the clutch fork? I did this one time with to thick of a washer, and the fork locked the clutch in place.

CarRacer

All good suggestions so far, I appreciate them.

I'm 110% positive the timing marks are correct. I also turned over the motor a number of times before installing the tranny. Very possible mistake though.

I honestly don't remember if I shimmer the pivot ball or not. I know I was on the fence about doing so. I purchased a new fork, so I think I figured I was good and didn't. I remember having the pivot ball out, so I may have put a washer in there. There's been a lot to keep track of in this build and it's happened over a long time period too.

Terry Posten

Did you spin the motor over after the flywheel was torqued down?

Maybe the disk is not sitting on the crank right.

fivestardsm

Well did you leave the Balance Shafts in? If so, did you possibly leave your screwdiver or wahat ever in the inspection hole? Or possibly put a bolt that was to long?

Might want to check.

fivestardsm

Also, did the motor spin freely when you rebuilt it? Did you rebuild it?

rgeier11

Is the transmission in gear? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarRacer

I did rebuild the motor myself. Stock OEM type rebuild. Replaced rings and bearings. No balance shafts. I turned the motor while getting the timing belt installed. Turned over fine.

I didn't turn it over after installing tranny or clutch though. The motor did sit for a period of weeks after timing component install. I didn't touch the shifter cables at all, other than removing from the tranny mount.

I'm assuming something in the clutch/tranny installation is messed up.

I like it when someone posts about how they fixed a problem they had posted about for everyone else's future reference. Im sure it will help everyone in the long run and cut down on unnecessary posts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned