The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anyone have an aftermarket alarm with remote start?installed by themselves?

mitsuturbo

I showed you what i used for a door trigger. If your dash is aleady back in place, or you did not remove it, you can always just pull the cluster and pull that one connector out to tap into the wire. It should be rather simple.

Brunoboy

I got it now thanks, bit my remote start wont start

Brunoboy

Theres no parking brake switch but i just realized i dint hook up two 12v, if its a regular 12v wirwni can hook them up to a constant correct? Or if switch wheres the best place ? I have an autopage c3 rs-730

Quoting alansupra94:
Good information in here.

I need to install an alarm just for the power locks feature, I don't have a key fob anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif never came with my car.

Key Fobs are shiny trinkets. Alarm transmitters arm, disarm, lock and unlock doors, open doors, trunks, windows, etc. Keyless entry transmitters unlock doors. Key fobs don't open doors.

mitsuturbo

Quoting brunoboy:
Theres no parking brake switch but i just realized i dint hook up two 12v, if its a regular 12v wirwni can hook them up to a constant correct? Or if switch wheres the best place ? I have an autopage c3 rs-730

WTF, no parking brake switch? You didn't wire it in, or you don't have one?
All 6g galants came with a parking brake switch.
If you need constant or switched power, there is one of each on the ignition wiring. It's pretty easy to figure out with a power probe or a multi meter.

Brunoboy

Thanks, and i was reading the manual, so far i missed many wires aha, but i will get to it later today, and none hook up tothe parking brake switch.but our brake light switch isthe green wire above the brake pedal correct ?
-shane

Brunoboy

My friend is a professional , he is walking me through it but i want to do it so i learn it

mitsuturbo

Quoting brunoboy:
Thanks, and i was reading the manual, so far i missed many wires aha, but i will get to it later today, and none hook up tothe parking brake switch.but our brake light switch isthe green wire above the brake pedal correct ?
-shane

I'm not certain on that one. I ended up soldering a wire to one of my brake light switch terminals, after checking it with a power probe.
Maybe i wired my "neutral safety switch" wire to the parking brake, since manual cars dont have neutral safety switches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

With remote start you are supposed to run a wire to the parking break, but you can just ground it instead. I ran it in my eclipse... glad I did. I have heard tale of cars being remote started and driving through garage walls. One morning hung over I pushed the remote start button and watched my car lurch forward 3", stop, wait a second, retry. Ummmm hmmm apparently my buddy (DD) did not take it out of gear the night before, and I was too trashed to think about it!

Brunoboy

i grounded every ground except one, and hooked up all power and blah blah, tried to program the remote but no go.........i have no idea. yes I grounded the neutral switch.
-Shane

Quoting brunoboy:
My friend is a professional , he is walking me through it but i want to do it so i learn it

When I first started installing I watched someone else install alarms several times before I even got to do a keyless only install, then I worked my way up from simple installs to remote start, multiple zones etc. etc. You are just jumping into a remote start install. I was saying that maybe it would be better to pay your buddy who is a professional $50 and some beer to install it while you watch. Its kind of like making the leap from changing your oil to rebuilding your engine without so much as reading a book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Brunoboy

Good point, ill ask him later. I jist cant figure out the remote start now , beeper is functional and so is lock unlock and siren.
-shane

jepherz

Staff member
Does this system of yours handle manual transmission? If it does, unless you're using it in automatic mode, it's going to have some procedure to enable the remote starting on it. At least my Compustar does.

Brunoboy

Idk, i was told it would work but who knows what i did for settings, my homies here doing it for me now aha

toybreaker

iconoclast
Shane,

Most "legal" installers won't do a remote start system in a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission.

However, friends always seem to hook us up, whether it's a good idea or not. (One of my installer buddies has a brother that does garage door repairs ... you do the math ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

At any rate, seeing as how you're going to performing your own install on a manual transmission equiped vehicle, you will have to defeat the clutch pedal interlock. (aka unplugging the clutch switch )

Once this is done, the car will turn over on the starter when you request the remote start feature.

That's great to warm up the car on a frosty morning...

... not so great if you just "pocket dialed[/i] the alarm while rubbing up against betty lou in a romantic fashion...

Since you live in the bay area, it is inevitable you will be parking your car in gear at times to hold it on the steep ass hills you guys got out there.

There's not a lot you can do about reporting the shifter position to the alarm ecu without getting crazy with reed switches and the like, so sooner or later, you're going to run into trouble. (I know I have in the past, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif several /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif )

After awhile I learned to throw a few safegaurds into the system.

Many times, the system can be programed to require a very specific sequence in order for the remote start to be enabled.

My favorite is to require the owner to set the hand brake, leave the engine running in neutral, exit the vehicle, arm the alarm system, and then press the remote start button once, killing the motor.

This will shut the engine off in a safe condition and prepare the system to be remote started with no chance of the vehicle being in gear. ( I use two pushes with a pause in between to signal the system to start)

As long as the alarm is not cycled, the system is prepared to be remote started with very little chance you'll be explaining to your insurance agent what happened to your garage door.

jepherz

Staff member
Compustar systems require you to pull the key out of the ignition and get out of the car. As soon as you close the door, the doors are locked and the system is armed/car is shut off. Makes it impossible to do what Toybreaker said :)

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting brunoboy:
I have an autopage c3 rs-730

I'm not familiar with the system Shane is using, so that's why I posted the info that I did.

The clifford stuff that I have used in the past was programable from a laptop using cliffnet, and many configurations were possible.

The configuration I posted is what worked the best for me.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

ohhhh yeah.. once again i forgot about the first thing i do when i get a new manual 4g63 powered car

disconnect the clutch switch

i hate those damn things

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned