The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Really annoyed by brake noise!!

Well, I just can't figure out what is making all this noise on my driver side wheel! I know the noise is very clear and loud coming from the front rotor, but I have already replaced the pads (old axxis pads were still super meaty!), rotors all around a year ago. Does drilled rotors warp? I thought my caliper was stuck after only one of the pistons came out but I was able to clamp one of the pistons and other side came out no problem. I still think the problem is the caliper but how do I tell? Can't hear it on high speed but noise is crazy obvious during low speed, turning, and braking. Sometimes its better, sometimes it just terrible loud! Any brake experts out there, please provide hints or what I should check next?

SouthCaliVR4

wheel brg.

Edit; To add to my rather brief initial reply. Yes any rotor can warp, this would be felt as a vibration when braking or excessive run-out pushing the pads too far back & giving a spongy pedal feel.

The wheel brg will growl at first then develop play, enough play & you hit the run-out issue again. A loose axle nut will also do this.

Run it in gear on a hoist or jack stands. Use a longish screwdriver as a stethoscope at the bottom part of the knuckle. If it's bad it will be louder than the other side or the rears. They're much louder under load.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

maybe theres air in the line, try to re-bleed that caliper.

SouthCaliVR4

^^^For a noise? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Common man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

GSX_TC

caliper could have air in it causing it to stick man. doesnt hurt to try it. its not like it cost him anything

SouthCaliVR4

won't help to try either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Or you can explain to me how air in the line could possibly cause the (Expletive) caliper to hang up?

AnotherNewb

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
^^^For a noise? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Common man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif He had to get his two posts in this thread some how. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

happened to my buddys talon before we set off to ohio. Re- bleeding it stopped it.

SouthCaliVR4

OP also check your backing plate, may be rubbing the rotor. I almost forgot that one.

GSX_TC you're full of that which supports plant growth here, recognise & get over yourself.

AnotherNewb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSX_TC

get over myself? whats the hells your problem dude, im just trying to help somebody out! how about you try not being an asshole. if thats even godamn possible for you geez

SouthCaliVR4

Look, I'm seriously trying not to hack up this guys thread but I'll say it one more time, air in a caliper cannot cause it to lock up. To add; your anecdotal evidence is either completely falsified or you have an insufficient understanding of what you witnessed. either way it's time to stop defending this particular, loosing, position.

Or in other simpler terms, Get over yourself.

AnotherNewb

Everytime I hit refresh this thread keeps getting better.

Have you tried applying some anti-seize to the back of the brake pads? Also there is a spray, the name escapes me, that I have used successfully. The spray dries kind of tacky.

Fun fact, all brakes make a noise, but normally its at a frequency that is not audible

1st try at the fix: Ok, I was getting consistent louse noise from my driver side brake. I thought it was metal on metal so i got some new pads and replaced them. (again, previous pads still looked brand new) noise gone for a bit.
2nd attempt: Took off everything and looked everything over carefully! made sure the plate on the hub wasn't scratching the rotor. Used flathead to move the shield from rotor. didnt work! still noise.
3rd: Took everything apart! At this point I was thinking that it was my calipler. (took it off and had my wife press the brake pedal. only one of the pistons went in. Other one moved a little but did not come out! (so I put clamp on the good side and was able to push out the piston by pressing on the brake). After couple of repitition, hoping the pistons are free, I put everything back. Still down the road I go and noise is still there!
I am still thinking its caliper but maybe the drilled rotor? it has to be one of these! when I apply brake, noise is definately louder and noticeable. without braking, going slow, I turn the steering wheel, noise is much louder. Sometimes, when I drive straight, noise goes away.
I can tell a warped rotor, but I put a light and gave a good look at it! ran my finger through it and everything seems to be normal(both side of the rotor looks good!)

I have the COP coming to fix the high rpm misfire, adjusted the BISS and clean the ISC to fix the idle problem (have extra black ISC coming just incase) only thing left is the brake, I dont't feel like getting a caliper unless I know this is the problem. But its not frozen! Should both come out together nice and even? what if only one piston comes out? other one keep gettting stuck? whats the deal?

PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC
I did bleed the caliper but i will check that out next time I get the caliper off again. Is there an upgrade calipers to GVR4? Not looking to replace to big brake kits, I was asking more like Gen2 or 3 calipers would work on GVR4's?

SouthCaliVR4

Standard rotors are cheap, try throwing one on & see if the noise changes or goes away.

is the noise a high pitched squeal or a low growl. if it's the latter definitely inspect the wheel brgs.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Are the small metal clips still on the caliper bracket? The ones that put tension on the pads? Also are the boots around the pistons torn or anything? You can remove the caliper and put a block of wood in it, this keeps the pistons from blowing out and killing you. Shoot a little compressed air in the hole where the brake line goes and it will push both pistons out. Again make sure you have something thick in there to keep them from coming all the way out. Also make sure that the bolts/pins are in the right spot as they are different. One will have an L on the head and the other will have a G. There will be an L & G on the caliper as well. Be sure they slide into the bracket easily, you might have to clean the dirt/rust out and grease the pins and make sure they are free.

If I'm correct, once the pressure is put on one of the caliper pistons, other one should come out as well right? I'm thinking maybe that my caliper is just fine. I will take out the drilled rotor (doesnt require turning and hoping that it never warp) and make sure all is well. I know I had a defective rotor with burnt marks on the rotor before and I had to get the rotor replaced. I doubt this is the case with drilled rotors?

SouthCaliVR4

whichever piston has the least resistance will move while the other sits. it's not a good indicator the piston/caliper is bad.

conquesttsi

This is hard to diagnose w/o really hearing the noise. Do you still have rusty old heat shields? Are the brakes working ok other than the noise? Feel anything in the wheel as you brake..(ie. Vibrations, Pulling to one side or the other. These aren't cheapie chinese ebay rotors are they? If you took it apart how does the rotor look on the surface, any discoloration or gouges on either side. How is the pad wear?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned