The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Creaking Noise

So I got in my Galant to drive to my friends house last night and when I put it in 1st it made a little clunk. I didn't think much of it and I proceded down the street. When I stopped at the stop sign at the end of the block the car creaked a little, I thought it was the break because they were wet due to rain. Then when I went to go again it seemed a little sluggish and didn't feel right. At this point I decided to turn around and park it. I did a three point turn and when I put it in reverse it my a loud groan/creaking noise. I drove it back down the block and it seemed ok but I left it and drove my truck. So today after work I did the same little drive to see if the noise miraculously went away. It didn't. The only difference today is it didn't seem sluggish and felt fine, also no more clunking, but the creaking noise was still there and it got worse. So I brought it home and pulled in the garage. I checked all the u-joint and half-shaft, they all seemed fine, no play in them. I checked the oil, it was a little low so I topped it off (I have a oil leak). Then I proceeded to back out of the garage. This time the car made the noise louder than ever. It only does it in reverse though, not in 1st (didn't check the other gears, I kinda don't wanna drive it). Then I got out to move stuff out off my way so I could pull back in the garage and when I sat back in my car it made the creaking noise. Then while sitting in the car I rocked it side to side and it would creak when leaning to the left. After I pulled it back into the garage I went to the rear of the car and bounced it a bit, and it again made the creaking noise. If I had to compare the noise to anything I would compare it to a creaky hardwood floor or a creaky door. I'm not sure what it is but I am sure it is coming from the drivers side rear of the car. I do have a video that I could email to someone or post on youtube later tonight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Muskrat

Use paragraphs. Please. I'll be happy to answer your question if you make it easy to read.

So I got in my Galant to drive to my friends house last night and when I put it in 1st it made a little clunk. I didn't think much of it and I proceded down the street. When I stopped at the stop sign at the end of the block the car creaked a little, I thought it was the breaks because they were wet due to rain. Then when I went to go again it seemed a little sluggish and didn't feel right. At this point I decided to turn around and park it. I did a three point turn and when I put it in reverse it my a loud groan/creaking noise. I drove it back down the block and it seemed ok but I left it at home and drove my truck.

So today after work I did the same little drive to see if the noise miraculously went away. It didn't. The only difference today is it didn't seem sluggish and felt fine, also no more clunking, but the creaking noise was still there and it got worse. So I brought it home and pulled in the garage.

I checked all the u-joint and half-shaft, they all seemed fine, no play in them. I checked the oil, it was a little low so I topped it off (I have a oil leak). Then I proceeded to back out of the garage. This time the car made the noise louder than ever. It only does it in reverse though, not in 1st (didn't check the other gears, I kinda don't wanna drive it). Then I got out to move stuff out off my way so I could pull back in the garage and when I sat back in my car it made the creaking noise. Then while sitting in the car I rocked it side to side and it would creak when leaning to the left. After I pulled it back into the garage I went to the rear of the car and bounced it a bit, and it again made the creaking noise. If I had to compare the noise to anything I would compare it to a creaky hardwood floor or a creaky door. I'm not sure what it is but I am sure it is coming from the drivers side rear of the car. I do have a video that I could email to someone or post on youtube later tonight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry about the first right up, I admit it was rather hard to read. Thanks a lot for the help.

Also, here is a link to the video on youtube. Galant Video

Last edited by a moderator:

Muskrat

That's much better. Blocks of text are really hard to read.

Sounds like something with your suspension. Is your spring correctly seated? Check all your bushings. Maybe get under there while a friend bounces on the suspension (all 4 tires on the ground!)

Edit: Just saw the video. Check your brakes - stuck caliper and/or worn pad is my guess.

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
Try what muskrat said first. I would also suggest taking a look over all of your brakes/calipers/wheel bearings etc. as well and make sure the are all tight and without abnormal wear. For some reason that horrendous sound reminds me of a brake shield scraping or when my brake pad dislodged/exploded it did that...
-shamus

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned