The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird noise (high pitch, faint metal on metal, dog whistle)

James

I recently developed this noise and it's hard to diagnose because it is happening at a lot of different times. At first I thought it was really faint brake squealing but it happens at a idle sometimes. Here's a list of then it has happened.

Note it's from the FRONT PASSENGER side:

Idle when I start the car
At an idle and a blip the gas
Coasting down in gear
Maintaining speed in gear IE 35mph in 3rd gear partial throttle
Braking

Only thing I have done was lightly crush my 1g bov and replace my BOV/UICP gasket.

I did a BLT to see if I could get the sound to happen and got nothing.

MellowVR4

Does it do it when ur cruising at a certain speed? like not letting off gas at all which would actuate the bov.

Diego

When my turbo sh*t out it had a similar sound. I thought as well I had a hung up brake or something. Took it off and apart and the wheel hit the comp housing.

James

Yea I think that would be covered in example2

"Maintaining speed" example: 35mph in third gear. Where I don't really have to be on the gas or completely off it.

James

I hope my 16g isn't shitting out. I only put about 4000 miles on it since buying it on here :/

James

Here's a 8secondnvideo of the noise. This is keeping speed of 25mph in second gear. Just enough throttle to keep the speed, no brakes

Seems like it doesn't want to upload for some reason

Last edited:

Racah15

It's your BOV. Especially if it's a 1g. I've had this happen on my 1g. It sounds like a really high pitched , dog whistle type sound. It's from the BOV valve not closing completely during vacuum situations. So it makes a loud whistle from the valve not closing completely. Take off the BOV vacuum line and plug it on the vacuum side. See if the noise continues. Drive, idle, etc.
IF it doesn't, it's your BOV. Either replace it, or....replace it..
If it does, then it might be your valve. You may have damaged it during crushing. I've seen a few people improperly crush them and it ruins the BOV.

Haha

Oh PS. Your video doesn't work

Last edited:

tyeler18

^^ This guy is dead on. I have a crushed 1g bov on my 1g that does the same thing as well as an uncrushed 1g BOV on my 2g that does it. It was annoying the hell out of me and I finally swapped it out with an ebay greddy I had laying around to see if that was the problem. I pulled the top off the uncrushed bov and the diaphragm had a very slight tear in it. Must've been just enough to cause it to leak.

James

I figured it was bov related since It happened right after I did a small crush. Oh well. 1g bovs are a dime a dozen

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned