The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knocking/rattling noise on the Front Driver Side

SiennaLover69

Like the title says, im hearing a kind of rattling or clunking noise in the front driver side of the car. I only hear it when I dont have my foot on the gas or the brake. The noise stops when I gas/brake. And I can feel it when my foot is lightly on the gas/brake if that makes sense.
I searched around but didnt find anything exactly like this (either on the passenger side, or the clunking occurs when the gas is applied), so if I missed something, my bad and please point me in the right direction. I've had my gvr4 for a couple years now and im still a bit of a car noob lol.

Thanks!

Noobsauce

If your suspention is loose I would jack the front up and see if anything clunks when you wiggle the wheels.
Grab the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle. If you start hearing or feeling any clunks have someone look at the ball joints and or tierods to see what's loose.

SiennaLover69

Alright, I jacked up my car and checked the tires, but no dice, I didnt hear anything. I only hear it when the car is moving and when I dont have the gas or brake pressed. Also I dont think I hear it when im making a turn or anything. Ill try to give recording it a shot.

dammitjim

Does it only happen when you are coasting? Clutch in or out? Does it happen when the car is idling at a stop?

SiennaLover69

I can hear it only when im coasting, I dont think I hear it when the clutch is in, only when its out. And I dont hear anything when im just sitting there idling.

vtecds1

Do you have a fmic? I can hear the piping rattling against something when decelerating.

desant78

When i pushed my clutch pedal in i heard the throw out bearing...it appeared from inside the car to be on the driver side.i could have a friend push the clutch in and hear it easily. Hope that helps, good luck!

SiennaLover69

I dont have an fmic. Everything on this car is completely stock, I have not done anything to this car yet.
I know, thats too bad, ive got a couple people who can help me out with this but I work all weekend! And im trying to learn as I go haha.
But yeah, Ill try the clutch pedal thing when I get a chance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned