The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noise: Only when driving straight and turning to the left

alansupra94

I have noticed that there is this loud noise and vibration that occurs only when I am turning to the left and going straight. When I turn right, its all nice and normal. This starts at 10mph and gets progressively louder and louder. I don't think it can be the axles because I just cleaned and replaced the boots. I know the normal DSM fix is turn up the radio but mine is not installed right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. I also have noticed that my alignment is obviously off but could that be the problem? Power steering but then why only in one direction and only when moving?

I will try and get a video of the noise as best I can.

Thanks,
Alan

CLIFFS: Vibration and noise that occurs when driving straight and turning left. Vibration and noise Increases with speed (above 10mph). Alignment is off already.

Last edited:

DR1665

No sh*t? Same boat, methinks.

Dull rumble audible above about 45mph. Gets louder, but not really. Like a damaged tire, without the vibration.
Constant while going straight or when the road curves left, silent when the road curves right.
Alignment is a bit off, pulls to the left. Might be some tire wear on the front left. Nothing remarkable.

I thought a wheel bearing would be a bit more tinny; more metal-to-metal, and certainly noticeable at slower speeds. All the same, had the front end up in the air yesterday for an oil change, and both front wheels seemed solid. Nothing appears loose, bent, torn, crooked, or otherwise DSM.

Just throwing it out there.

alansupra94

Quoting Muskrat:
Wheel bearings would be my first guess.

Going to sound weird but I am going to say sweet! I already have to pull the hubs out to swap in the ABS sensors and was planning to do the bearings anyways.

My next question is it possible to fail inspection because of the wheel bearing vibration/noise?

alansupra94

Quoting DR1665:
No sh*t? Same boat, methinks.

Dull rumble audible above about 45mph. Gets louder, but not really. Like a damaged tire, without the vibration.
Constant while going straight or when the road curves left, silent when the road curves right.
Alignment is a bit off, pulls to the left. Might be some tire wear on the front left. Nothing remarkable.

I thought a wheel bearing would be a bit more tinny; more metal-to-metal, and certainly noticeable at slower speeds. All the same, had the front end up in the air yesterday for an oil change, and both front wheels seemed solid. Nothing appears loose, bent, torn, crooked, or otherwise DSM.

Just throwing it out there.

I have a vibration that is VERY noticeable in the steering wheel which had be leaning to wheel bearing. Not sure whats in your boat.

SouthCaliVR4

wheel brg won't always be loose when noisy. when I worked for Mazda we had a run of 626's come through that had noisy brgs with no play, they sat at the port long enough for the races to get rust spots & would growl when driving but had no other symptoms. My drivers side on #825 is doing the same thing right now & has been for a couple months. It's on my list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

While I wouldn't go doing any 100mph freeway runs I doubt it would cause you fail any state inspection.

steve

Quoting alansupra94:
Quoting Muskrat:
Wheel bearings would be my first guess.

Going to sound weird but I am going to say sweet! I already have to pull the hubs out to swap in the ABS sensors and was planning to do the bearings anyways.

My next question is it possible to fail inspection because of the wheel bearing vibration/noise?

There's no more safety inspection in NJ, just emissions.

alansupra94

I am aware of that Steve but it seems that not ALL DMV places will let things go unnoticed. Plus I don't like giving them a reason to be a douche.

In the end, I might just take it to a gas station where I know the guy will be a nice dude.

Thanks,
Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned