The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quote:
great video. always looking forward to the new videos. gives me inspiration to work on 1039.

Thanks man, I appreciate you saying that. Have fun wrenching on 1039!

MellowVR4

Nice video, I hate those cartoon'ish instructions also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

89Mirageman

Another awesome video Tom. The cartoon instructions took me back 25 years when I built a Kyosho Rampage RC car that I got one Christmas as a kid.

Also when you bolted the first caliper back on I was thinking to myself, there's no way that he's not going to clean that thing up and paint it. Glad to see that you did.

turbowop

I think I used the same blank rotors on 503 when I did its brakes. Unfortunately, without a coating on the non-friction surfaces, they got rusty and ugly real fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif When I put new rear rotors on 1051 not long ago, I purchased some that had a black coating on all non-friction surfaces. So far, so good.

SSGdave

dear sweet baby jesus... I NEED A SET OF THESE!

the_underdog

Quoting MellowVR4:
Nice video, I hate those cartoon'ish instructions also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks man! Oh and I got a huge dose of them today too. Opened up my chainsaw manual and there were five full pages of "danger toons." This was my favorite. Homie is goin down son!!

treetwoone.jpg

Last edited:

the_underdog

Quoting 89Mirageman:
Another awesome video Tom. The cartoon instructions took me back 25 years when I built a Kyosho Rampage RC car that I got one Christmas as a kid.

Also when you bolted the first caliper back on I was thinking to myself, there's no way that he's not going to clean that thing up and paint it. Glad to see that you did.

Thank you sir! I would love to do so much more detail work than I'm doing. Ideally I'd remove the calipers, have them powder coated a factory looking finish, rebuild them, install new brake lines, etc. etc. I just have almost no time for garage stuff these days due to work and such. Regarding the "instruct-o-toons" I'm now on a quest to find as many of these cartoony instructions as I can. These are my two favorites from the 1991 Talon owner's manual:

What!?! I can't tow a camper with my turbocharged sports coupe? That's it, first thing Monday morning I'm going straight to the dealership to demand an explanation.

dsm_redneck.jpg

Every time you do a one wheel rear wheel drive burnout in a puddle, the little living creature that is your rear differential feels anxiety and great pain.

lsd_headache.jpg

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
I think I used the same blank rotors on 503 when I did its brakes. Unfortunately, without a coating on the non-friction surfaces, they got rusty and ugly real fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif When I put new rear rotors on 1051 not long ago, I purchased some that had a black coating on all non-friction surfaces. So far, so good.

Hey Mark! Dangit, I need more time to do more detail work. I painted the non-friction surfaces on my old turbo Miata rotors and they stayed perfect, no rust at all. Regarding the VR-4, I saw the ones with the black coating online and didn't get them for some reason. Not sure if they were sold out or the description was lacking, but I passed on them. Thanks for telling me about these. I have zero miles on my new rotors as of now, but ripping them off to paint them sounds about as much fun as hitting myself in the nizz-uts with a whiffle ball bat.

the_underdog

Quoting SSGdave:
dear sweet baby jesus... I NEED A SET OF THESE!

Oh definitely, they're super nice. Now I'll look like a real dummy- kicking my feet together for a minute or so to make sure that I don't soil my awesome new floor mats.

GSX_TC

Thanks for another great video! These are so cool to watch!

transparentdsm

car came together great and is amazing, can't wait to see dyno and 1/4 mile numbers

edit: how do you like those kumho autocross/street tires you have in the garage? i just recently put them on my car and so far im extremely impressed.

Last edited:

Brianawd

Great vid.
Just a fyi. I have broken in a act clutch per their instructions and also put one in and never did their break in. Took the car right to the track about 2hrs after install. Both clutches lasted me the same amount of time. After that I no longer break in a clutch. I just bolt it in and go. Never have had a issue.

bobdole

Love watching your video's Tom. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

coyotes

Great stuff. I wish I could afford ECMlink at this time, it seems so useful, even for a mostly stock car like mine.

IncorpoRatedX

Great video, can't wait to hear how that valve sounds opened up.

I've got the same set up in mind, a little less powerful, but very much stock appearing and sounding, retain all my creature comforts and still be a fun car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned