The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quoting presterone:
Its funny how a lot of galant and DSM people also have a thing for the Buick gnx

I have seen this too. At the time when the Grand National and Mitsu turbo cars were just coming out I was very intrigued by them not only by how they performed, but how they went about it. Up until that point in my life, I was told by everyone around me that a big V8 was the single way to achieve performance. Cars like the 1989 Plymouth Laser FWD and the Grand National were incredible performers and went about it in a very unothordox way back then. They put all of the mainstream performance cars on notice and I thought that was just mind blowing back then.

the_underdog

Quoting Alpha Male:
I dig that exhaust set up. I really wonder how the valve will sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Thanks Joshua, I wonder too!

the_underdog

Quoting BpuVR4:
the day i went to go buy my first vr4, was an on the spot moment to drive to Des Moines to get the VR4 for 4500, or Detroit to get a 87GN for 8k. I didn't decide until I was almost in the car. I still wonder to this day what would've happened if I just went to get the GN like i originally planned, but both of these cars were my "dream" choices all through high school.

That's pretty wild! Can't go wrong either way, but I would say that (condition being the same between the two) the VR4 is a much nicer car to drive on a regular basis. Driving the GN feels like sitting on a couch in a living room from the 80s - a couch that goes sideways when you punch it at 50mph though, mind you.

the_underdog

Quoting 4G63_GSR:
awesome vids.

btw if your name is tom what's the deal with the "matt" name tag? LOL! JK...

Thanks man!

the_underdog

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago that I thought the Buick GN and the GVR4 were both ugly cars and really didn't see what anyone saw in them. Then all of a sudden cars like these just grew on me and I'd gladly pimp either one. I guess they have an acquired taste.

I can relate, I don't feel like either car is the end-all, but I respect them as a complete package and what they mean historically. In regards to the VR-4 specifically, in my eyes it perfectly captures a time when an automaker entered the market with an incredible lineup of cars just chock full of innovation and performance.

Last edited:

Turbo99

That's because they're a rolling contradiction.

They're sporty, but they're not. They're ugly, but they're good looking. They are, wait a minute is that an intercooler? What is that thing?

strokin4dr

Looking good, as always, Tom!
I cant wait to see what kind of numbers this sleeper is capable of putting out. Should be interesting.

MellowVR4

sweet maf setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Fiascoxl

I want to incorporate my evo maf and pig tail the same exact way on my next CSM swap. Good work as always, keep it coming!

turbohf

Quoting MellowVR4:

i gotta say i was surprised by this. was so betting on SD setup with all map/iat/etc hidden. and just running a gutted MAF/K&N filter.

but i do like. keeping it simple for tuning. please continue sir. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

also. when i was watching this most recent video im not sure what triggered it, probably the shitty OEM injector seals, but you havent mentioned a boost leak test or throttle body rebuild?

92_talon_awd

I was thinking hidden speed density setup too ha! Can't wait to see how much power you get. My girlfriend said she was surprised you didn't clean out the fuel pump area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Awesome work Tom, keep it up.

the_underdog

Quoting strokin4dr:
Looking good, as always, Tom!
I cant wait to see what kind of numbers this sleeper is capable of putting out. Should be interesting.

Thank you Ryan, me too!

the_underdog

Quoting MellowVR4:

Thanks man! I spent so much time on many different instances on that darn thing. I really should have video'd the process as everyone in the video comments, etc. really loves it. I figured folks couldn't care less about how I stuck that maf/filter in there.

the_underdog

Quoting Fiascoxl:
I want to incorporate my evo maf and pig tail the same exact way on my next CSM swap. Good work as always, keep it coming!

Thank you and that'll be cool!

the_underdog

Quoting turbohf:
i gotta say i was surprised by this. was so betting on SD setup with all map/iat/etc hidden. and just running a gutted MAF/K&N filter.

but i do like. keeping it simple for tuning. please continue sir. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

also. when i was watching this most recent video im not sure what triggered it, probably the shitty OEM injector seals, but you havent mentioned a boost leak test or throttle body rebuild?

Thank you Dustin! I came very close to running speed density, but the allure of the MAF was too strong. Boost leak test and other odds and ends will likely appear in a future video. Still got lots to do, ugh!

the_underdog

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
I was thinking hidden speed density setup too ha! Can't wait to see how much power you get. My girlfriend said she was surprised you didn't clean out the fuel pump area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Awesome work Tom, keep it up.

Thanks Dan, I'm real curious too! I'm not expecting anything crazy at this level given the conservative mods, but I'm hoping it'll be easy to tune and reliable. Regarding the gas tank, I really wish I had the time to go through everything like BobDole did in his build thread. Maybe someday! Hope all is well with your car!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned