The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Finally getting my Galant... build of 490/2000

Romanova

Most of you have probably forgotten or simply don't know... my Galant has been in storage in WA to the tune of $85 a month since I abruptly left WA in January 2005. Well, now that I have a house and the money to get it, I'm finally doing so. Just got a one way plane ticket from Houston to Spokane and reserved a Budget truck and trailer to get the Galant down as well as all the boxes of parts that I have for it.

Won't be until 7/21/09, but expect a fully detailed trip update as me and my old man attempt to drive non stop. Upon arrival, 490/2000 will take up residency and become a jack stand baller as the motor is removed and everything is cleaned/replaced bumper to bumper.

Brighter days are coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good news Tyler. Make that trip fun and worthwhile, as the memory can be a great one doing something like that. I still remember fondly when my friend and I drove my 510 back from California in the 80's.

Depending on which way you head back, if you felt like stoppin in Vancouver for a beer and checking out a couple other VR-4's my and some friends could meet up with you.

Romanova

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Depending on which way you head back, if you felt like stoppin in Vancouver for a beer and checking out a couple other VR-4's my and some friends could meet up with you.

Vancouver, Spokane, and Houston don't really work so well... thanks for the generous offer though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Romanova

As she sits now...

SSPX0013.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Romanova

bump_cover2.gif

Bump! Several more week to the most epic road trip in history! So anxious! Any tips or tricks to towing a car on a trailer? Be my first attempt...

Romanova

Plane leaves tomorrow morning. Just picked up a set of Evo 9 rims... should be here upon return with the car. Yay!

Romanova

You can have them, but you have to go to Spokane for them. The tires are still good and plenty of stud left IIRC...

curtis

Have a good trip...congrats on seeing the car.

Quoting Romanova:

.... Any tips or tricks to towing a car on a trailer? Be my first attempt...

I haven't ever towed a car but I have towed a loaded 20' RV many times. A few things that you probably already knew or would find out real quick, increase following distance ten fold since you probably weigh a combined weight of somewhere north of 8500 lbs.

Try to use momentum from downhill to climb large grades. Helps with gas and puts less strain on the motor if you get a running start. Most people don't do this, they = reTARDED. Ever notice how it seems most motorists panic at the increased speed their vehicle picks up towards the bottom of the hill, then they brake and lose their momentum, thus having to step on the accelerator and get going again = FAIL.

Does the trailer have electric brakes and is your truck set up for it? I almost always had the brake in my lap and would often grab it to manually control the trailer brake when aproaching a red light, traffic, or coasting down heavy descends etc. That = less wear on your tow rig brakes. Not sure you care since its rented but it makes for a better and safer drive. You are also less likely to jack knife this way since the rear vehicle is braking.

Of course beware of semi suction. No this is not when your girlfriend/wife other gives you a tired lazy blowjob leaving you with blue balls.

Other than those few tips, rock on.

Terry Posten

The trailer wheels are a lot wider than the truck. Watch gas pump barriers, guard rails, people on curbs, etc..

Check straps at every stop. They will loosen over time.

Romanova

Made it back in one piece. Update to come soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Romanova

Ok, lets talk roadtrip. First of all, KC... I was hating on you when I drove through Iowa. There, now that we got that out of the way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So me and the old man flew up to Spokane from Houston on Tuesday at the ass crack of dawn. We were up at 3am and on the plane at 6am. I checked my pistol in my bag and surprisingly, it was very easy. We did some flying and got to Spokane at 11am. By 1pm we had the Budget rental truck and car trailer. The truck was fine, though the trailer was a cancerous piece of sh*t. The chains were sh*t, the ramp was sh*t. Ugh.

trip2.jpg

At the storage place, I got the Galant, which hadn't seen daylight since November of 2007. I hooked up the Odessey battery and... nothing. So we jumped it and it fired right up, though it wasn't too happy about it. Keep in mind I parked the car in January 2005 so the car was dirty as f*** and still rocking Turbowop's old snow tires which were pretty much flat. Took us an hour to get her on the trailer, which was a cancerous piece of sh*t.

trip.jpg

Spent the rest of the day loading up some other sh*t. Had mountains of parts at my mom's house that I had totally forgot about (soon to be listed on classifieds). I met up my some buddies and drank some beers and enjoyed small town Spokane life for awhile. It's honestly been forever and a day since I saw some good old fashioned white trash. Felt good. We hit the road on Wednesday at 7:30am. Driving driving driving. Driving through Montana sucked in this truck and the cancerous piece of sh*t trailer. Gas mileage was in the single digits. Lots of passes to drive up.

trip3.jpg

Every time we filled up it was $60... and we filled up about 8 times during the trip. Nothing exciting here really. We just drove and drove and drove. Straight through to Houston, only stopping for gas. Roughly 38 hours of driving... 2400 miles. The trailer broke in Dallas (Ken Inn, where the f*** were you?). The jack portion gave up and started dragging, making for a nice sparkler show. I had some baby blankets in the Galant and so we rigged up some ghettoness until we got to a store where I got some rope. Cancerous piece of sh*t.

We rolled into Houston at 3:30am on Friday. The Galant got a much needed wash and is now tucked away in the garage. Most an uneventful trip, though we did see some beautiful country. Please watch this space as the project gets into full swing now!

Oh yeah, wasted about $6500 in storage, truck rental, plane tickets, and gas. WTF was I thinking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned