The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

coyotes

Quoting turbohf:
Tom, thank you. I know lots of this stuff is common knowledge to the GVR4/DSM community, some may not be. but its nice to see/hear it actually happening on video. your car looks amazing and is an inspiration.

those ice cube trays are a great idea and in running to the dollar store right now for some!

Have you never watched Jafro vids?

turbohf

no? was i suppose to?

GSX_TC

Best video yet! Loved the part on the HKS cams haha , was LOL'n my ass off haha. What hotel you gonna be at at the shootout Tom ?

G

Staff member
Awesome video, I think the cams should have had a Japanese accent though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

92_talon_awd

Herro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

minneSNOWta

Hey Tom. Thanks for doing what you do. I was inspired by your videos for sure. Even one of my roommates who is a girl got a good laugh watching. Keep up the good work.

the_underdog

Quoting GVR4kauai:
I'm rockin a baby seat in the back of mine too! lol And I agree tons of room, easy getting in and out. My daughter always wants to ride in it. She actually got mad because she had to ride in the wifes Vdub, she kept screaming I want to ride In daddy's car lol. She also tells me to go faster and she will yell "make boost daddy" lol! She loves it makes her giggle like I do.

Good to see the car coming along nicely. We have done very similiar mods so far so its been cool to watch ya step by step. Keep up the good work and cool videos bro!! I'll make a video of mine soon once I'm done with all the mods and maybe have it painted. Lucky my friends paint shop is right next to my shop. So getting it done won't be a issue at all. Just not sure if I should paint it the stock BG or something else, wanna keep it stealth looking lol.

Thank you sir and I appreciate the support! I'm glad I'm not the only one carrying their kids around in these old beasts, haha! Oh and be very thankful that you have a friend who owns a paint shop. I got some quotes to get my Grand National painted and ouch, my ass is killing me. I need to make friends with a paint shop owner tootsweet! Good luck with your car and I look forward to seeing it!

the_underdog

Quoting transparentdsm:
yet again another victory. i really really like how you swapped out cam shafts and i think im going to have to give that a try myself. i have a set of BC's waiting to be put on and watching this video really makes me want to put them in now.

Thank you sir, I appreciate that! Good luck if you decide to do the cam swap, here are those instructions in case you need them. It feels like I could probably do this stuff in my sleep by now, but I still love to read over and have good instructions close by. RRE Cam Swap Instructions

Allangcr7

Great videos Tom,, they have given me sort of a guide to doing things on my galant. I waited for every video religiously, i looked almost every day for weeks hoping to see the last video with the car running after all those months of hard work.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

the_underdog

Quoting turbohf:
Tom, thank you. I know lots of this stuff is common knowledge to the GVR4/DSM community, some may not be. but its nice to see/hear it actually happening on video. your car looks amazing and is an inspiration.

those ice cube trays are a great idea and in running to the dollar store right now for some!

Thank you Dustin, I appreciate that! I agree and it does feel like lots of the stuff I cover in the videos is second nature, but based on the messages and comments that I often get, to many folks it's the first time they're seeing it. Plus, I don't intend for the videos to be "here's how to do this stuff" but more of a video build diary of my process to reach a goal.

Regarding the ice cube trays, I learned lots of little tidbits like this from the old mechanics I grew up around. I recall seeing them use the ice cube trays at least 30 years ago. I'm getting old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

the_underdog

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
Awesome vid Tom! I just ordered a set of the 3g lifter for mine, I wasn't driving it but once a week or so but recently sold my Rabbit so I'm driving it every day and the racket is driving me nuts haha.

Thank you Dan! It sounds like we have the same car, haha! Yeah, I hoped it would just kinda sorta "heal" itself, but on the bright side, it gave me an excuse to slap those cams in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I hope you're enjoying daily driving yours, I always love when I can drive mine.

the_underdog

Quoting transparentdsm:
if you not trying to remove the camshafts, i have a neat little tool that makes lift changes painless and fast.

click

Yes, that's a good tip!

the_underdog

Quoting Alpha Male:
Tom! I wish you had posted your progress of the waste gate tuning before you changed. I think a montero locking diff air pump or an ARB locking diff air pump would've provided the best of both worlds.

Hi Joshua, I was honestly futzing with the waste gate setup right up until I made this video. Thank you for the suggestion and idea, I considered a simple air pump of some sort and figured there was something out there that I could use, but have been so short on time lately, this was just a fast solution for me. I will likely take another shot at this, as I love the fast opening response of the waste gate vs. the slower electric cutout.

IncorpoRatedX

I mostly wanted you to make it work so that I could do the same later with out having to experiment myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Wanna sell me your wastegate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Tom, I love when you post a video right before I have a bunch of stuff to do to my car.

Tom's Turbo Garage = Best inspiration ever to quit JSB.

Thank you for the very kind words and I'm glad I can help...'cause friends don't let friends JSB! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
Worth watching, tons of info and also entertaining.

Absolutely agree, I love Jafros videos! I've talked to him and he's a super good guy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned