The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quoting GSX_TC:
Been waiting for this next video, and was not disappointed. What you do is soo cool tom, you should be on tv doing this, that's how good and professional it looks. I'm just glad you gave a Galant VR4 the time of the day to do all this too. And the part on the video of how is anything better then installing a new turbo? Noo!!! Was freakin hilarious!! Omg dude I was laughing my ass off at work watching that haha.

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you look forward to them! I appreciate all of the kind words and I just can't help throwing in the goofball jokes and stuff. Most of that stuff comes out of me talking to myself while I work. If something makes me giggle I write it down. LOTS of my weird thoughts never make it in though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

manikbastrd

Quoting the_underdog:
Quoting manikbastrd:
Dude I love the videos! I have to say I was a little sad to see the stock soft pipes fo back on...Maybe you can do some kind of over wrap on a hard pipe...

Thank you! I am really just experimenting with exactly how far I can take the "stock appearing" mantra. Regarding wrapping pipes to appear stock, I recall a video on YouTube about the Nissan GTR where they were interviewing a Nissan Exec or something. He built a super sleeper R32 Skyline and ran hard piping inside the stock rubber pipes for a completely stock appearance, but high HP capability. I thought that seemed darn intriguing.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking.

fuel

I come here only to keep tabs on this thread for updates!

89Mirageman

The drawing at the beginning and the Ebay poetry thing had me rolling. Another great video Tom, I think I'll just give my TV away and wait for updates on your projects. They're always much better than anything else that's on.

fuel

just watched the video - interesting approach with the wastegate valve! I had a 7G JDM Galant which had the 2.0L 6A12 MIVEC-MD V6 engine (200 ponies!) and the factory rear muffler had a bypass pipe with a valve in it actuated by a cable operated modulator that received constant vacuum from the inlet manifold (a small hard pipe was run along the brake lines to the rear) and a solenoid triggered by the ECU when to open the valve (I presume at wide open throttle). The good news is when you unplugged the solenoid, the valve would stay open and the rear muffler was bypassed at all times. Made for a lovely noise at idle or when you gave it a stab of the throttle.

BpuVR4

Quoting the_underdog:
Regarding wrapping pipes to appear stock, I recall a video on YouTube about the Nissan GTR where they were interviewing a Nissan Exec or something. He built a super sleeper R32 Skyline and ran hard piping inside the stock rubber pipes for a completely stock appearance, but high HP capability. I thought that seemed darn intriguing.

not sure why i'm so impressed/surprised that an exec is such an enthusiast to do that, but i sure am...that and jealous of the R32

the_underdog

Quoting fuel:
I come here only to keep tabs on this thread for updates!

Thank you sir!

the_underdog

Quoting 89Mirageman:
The drawing at the beginning and the Ebay poetry thing had me rolling. Another great video Tom, I think I'll just give my TV away and wait for updates on your projects. They're always much better than anything else that's on.

Thank you as always for the kind support my friend! I hear ya about the TV. I mainly watch online stuff now, especially when it comes to car related shows/videos.

the_underdog

Quoting fuel:
just watched the video - interesting approach with the wastegate valve! I had a 7G JDM Galant which had the 2.0L 6A12 MIVEC-MD V6 engine (200 ponies!) and the factory rear muffler had a bypass pipe with a valve in it actuated by a cable operated modulator that received constant vacuum from the inlet manifold (a small hard pipe was run along the brake lines to the rear) and a solenoid triggered by the ECU when to open the valve (I presume at wide open throttle). The good news is when you unplugged the solenoid, the valve would stay open and the rear muffler was bypassed at all times. Made for a lovely noise at idle or when you gave it a stab of the throttle.

No way!! We would never get something this cool here in the US. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Thank you for sharing that!

the_underdog

Quoting transparentdsm:
i just watched the intercooler and exhaust back to back. perfect way to spend my morning before a nice day of golf.

Thank you for saying that and I hope you had a good one out on the course!

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
More great work, Tom!

Thank you Mark!

IncorpoRatedX

I dig that exhaust set up. I really wonder how the valve will sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BpuVR4

Quoting presterone:
Its funny how a lot of galant and DSM people also have a thing for the Buick gnx

the day i went to go buy my first vr4, was an on the spot moment to drive to Des Moines to get the VR4 for 4500, or Detroit to get a 87GN for 8k. I didn't decide until I was almost in the car. I still wonder to this day what would've happened if I just went to get the GN like i originally planned, but both of these cars were my "dream" choices all through high school.

Last edited:

4G63_GSR

awesome vids.

btw if your name is tom what's the deal with the "matt" name tag? LOL! JK...

89Mirageman

It wasn't that long ago that I thought the Buick GN and the GVR4 were both ugly cars and really didn't see what anyone saw in them. Then all of a sudden cars like these just grew on me and I'd gladly pimp either one. I guess they have an acquired taste.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned