The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

turbohf

Tom, how did you hack my phone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i get notifications that you posts new videos, that i never remember setting anything up for. only yours too. they appear like text messages. kinda cool, then i know what im watching while at lunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you kinda threw me off when you said intercooler upgrade. i was thinking you where gonna rock the stock one and just a hidden meth nozzle on the back/underside of the throttle body elbow. but an intercooler isnt hard to hide behind a stock bumper. i have an IRC/Spearco intercooler that no one ever seems to notice, and didnt even bother to paint this one black like i do on all my Honda's.

the_underdog

Quote:
Tom, how did you hack my phone? i get notifications that you posts new videos, that i never remember setting anything up for. only yours too. they appear like text messages. kinda cool, then i know what im watching while at lunch

you kinda threw me off when you said intercooler upgrade. i was thinking you where gonna rock the stock one and just a hidden meth nozzle on the back/underside of the throttle body elbow. but an intercooler isnt hard to hide behind a stock bumper. i have an IRC/Spearco intercooler that no one ever seems to notice, and didnt even bother to paint this one black like i do on all my Honda's.

Hi Dustin and thanks for checking them out! I hacked your phone by uplinking to the comsat, relaying the station ID to the junction carrier, and then assimilating the signal via standard carrier communication protocols. So, in short...you're welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I could've got away with a DSM side mount size intercooler, as I ran deep into the 12s in my Mirage back in the day with one using plain old water injection and very few mods. The Galant one is just too darn small and can't possibly flow very well. Look for the full details in the new video that I'll be posting tomorrow.

the_underdog

Hi All,

Here's the latest video where we ditch the tiny factory intercooler for something a bit bigger. Thanks for checking it out!

Street Sleeper Intercooler Upgrade | YouTube

IMG_2136.jpg

turbowop

MOAR STEALTH!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Great vid! Will be interesting to see how the stock IC hoses work out. I figured you would at least do some larger hard pipes painted black and routed in stock configuration.

MellowVR4

Great video! you stealthy yooouu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

manikbastrd

Dude I love the videos! I have to say I was a little sad to see the stock soft pipes fo back on...Maybe you can do some kind of over wrap on a hard pipe...

coyotes

I've seen people make good numbers through small IC pipes. For some reason 4g63 guys love massive ICs and piping, while I've seen Supers make 800+ on an IC half the size. KA24DE guys run small IC pipes and can put down 400+.

turbowop

But they can likely put down more with proper sized piping. 2.5" isn't really that big, IMO. Even 2.25" would be an awesome upgrade over the stock piping. Especially for a turbo that can flow 51 lbs/min.

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
that's some sneaky sh*t. cool video!

Haha, thanks man! I must say as much as I love sleepers, it's weird to put so much time and work into a car and visually there's no difference after it's all bolted back together. I mean heck, I'm used to seeing a shiny pipe or something for cryin' out loud!

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
MOAR STEALTH!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Great vid! Will be interesting to see how the stock IC hoses work out. I figured you would at least do some larger hard pipes painted black and routed in stock configuration.

Haha, thank you Mark! I'm really curious to see how they perform too. I am considering the small/stock piping an experiment and have low expectations. I fully anticipate having to whip up some larger "stock appearing" piping as you've mentioned.

the_underdog

Quoting MellowVR4:
Great video! you stealthy yooouu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Haha, thank you sir!

the_underdog

Quoting manikbastrd:
Dude I love the videos! I have to say I was a little sad to see the stock soft pipes fo back on...Maybe you can do some kind of over wrap on a hard pipe...

Thank you! I am really just experimenting with exactly how far I can take the "stock appearing" mantra. Regarding wrapping pipes to appear stock, I recall a video on YouTube about the Nissan GTR where they were interviewing a Nissan Exec or something. He built a super sleeper R32 Skyline and ran hard piping inside the stock rubber pipes for a completely stock appearance, but high HP capability. I thought that seemed darn intriguing.

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
I've seen people make good numbers through small IC pipes. For some reason 4g63 guys love massive ICs and piping, while I've seen Supers make 800+ on an IC half the size. KA24DE guys run small IC pipes and can put down 400+.

I've seen it done as well in the past. I am totally anticipating having to upgrade the piping someday, but wanted to see what I could accomplish as is. I thought it was promising that the Galant used so much hard piping from the factory. I'm just as curious as everyone else!

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
But they can likely put down more with proper sized piping. 2.5" isn't really that big, IMO. Even 2.25" would be an awesome upgrade over the stock piping. Especially for a turbo that can flow 51 lbs/min.

Yes, absolutely. The stock VR-4 piping uses plenty of good, smooth steel bends but the inner diameter is small! I hope I'm not corking up the turbo too bad, but I am totally prepared to make all new, higher flowing piping if these don't work out.

turbohf

when i did my piping i tried to make it sleeper'ish/not stand out. its all 2.5" pipe, so its not OEM. but at a glance by someone that doesnt know? it may go unnoticed.

but i got to say i love how your setup played out. looks awesome. just hope it performs. i have ran pieced together setups with differing sizes before, but that was way back in the day, probably 02? when i turboed my first honda. and it wasnt powerful. but when i turboed my last Integra (and actually will be doing the same on my current) i started off with 2" off the turbo and it ran all the way to the intercooler, but then went to 2.5 all the rest of the way. worked before, so no problem doing it again.
also, the end tanks on the intercooler expand out and bottle neck...your just adding a little more piping before that happens...so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

love how you pointed out the clamp that needed painted. happens to me every time i swear! test fit it all tons of times, paint it all. then last time the bumper goes on, you swapped a clamp or its facing the other way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

keep up the good work, will be saying tuned in for sure!

coyotes

I think you will be ok Tom. You have to make some compromises in order to stay sleeper, smaller piping won't be that hard of a hit in the long run. In the stock setup it's the awful design of the OEM intercooler that ruins things.

GSX_TC

Been waiting for this next video, and was not disappointed. What you do is soo cool tom, you should be on tv doing this, that's how good and professional it looks. I'm just glad you gave a Galant VR4 the time of the day to do all this too. And the part on the video of how is anything better then installing a new turbo? Noo!!! Was freakin hilarious!! Omg dude I was laughing my ass off at work watching that haha.

the_underdog

Quoting turbohf:
when i did my piping i tried to make it sleeper'ish/not stand out. its all 2.5" pipe, so its not OEM. but at a glance by someone that doesnt know? it may go unnoticed.

but i got to say i love how your setup played out. looks awesome. just hope it performs. i have ran pieced together setups with differing sizes before, but that was way back in the day, probably 02? when i turboed my first honda. and it wasnt powerful. but when i turboed my last Integra (and actually will be doing the same on my current) i started off with 2" off the turbo and it ran all the way to the intercooler, but then went to 2.5 all the rest of the way. worked before, so no problem doing it again.
also, the end tanks on the intercooler expand out and bottle neck...your just adding a little more piping before that happens...so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

love how you pointed out the clamp that needed painted. happens to me every time i swear! test fit it all tons of times, paint it all. then last time the bumper goes on, you swapped a clamp or its facing the other way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

keep up the good work, will be saying tuned in for sure!

Thanks again Dustin and yes, very true about the clamp pointing the wrong way. I swear, the harder I try to put the clamp on in the desired direction, the more often it jumps off and reverses itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
I think you will be ok Tom. You have to make some compromises in order to stay sleeper, smaller piping won't be that hard of a hit in the long run. In the stock setup it's the awful design of the OEM intercooler that ruins things.

Thanks man, I'm hoping so! I know I'll have some bugs to work out given the various little compromises here and there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts