The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FNG

manikbastrd

I just got my Gvr4 for a dsm price...very happy...just curious on everyone's opinion on a few things...figured I would ask the gurus here...
looks like 2g maf, what all needs to be done for that, I have heard something about a chip...
running what looks like 2 blue top injectors and two unknown black tops...
PO said something about installing a chip...dsmlink hopefully, but I have 2Step LC right now...
PO said AWS rear pump was leaking...any threads on replacing?
Common things that go wrong or I should do soon?
60K service was done, and Im at 112000 now... 120K soon what do I need to do...
Uhhhh....IDK what else...mostly just saying Hi!
thanks much!!
Manik

It sounds like someone mixed 2 2G 450cc injectors with the original 1G's, not a smart idea. I'm sure they aren't matched very closely.
Pull the cover off the ECU and take a picture of the chip. The ECU is to the right of the glove box, behind the passenger's kick panel. You just remove one 12mm nut and one 12mm bolt, and it slides down out of there.

manikbastrd

did that first thing this morning before I even saw the post lol
found it has a chip...

chip says 75/60/45 KNOCK
550CC 2GMAS
any ideas who makes this or what it actually is?

manikbastrd

It also looks like the caps have been replaced...soldering looks decent(Im an electronics technician)...Im worried about the injectors though...when I pulled the plugs they all appeared to be evenly burnt, and I am not running lean so I dont know what to think.

prove_it

If that chip says 550cc on it, I'm sure that's burned for 550cc injectors, and yes like mentioned before someone mixed 2nd gen injectors with 1st gen injectors. Either way their 450cc and yea that's no good. I bet it's running lean, no doubt about that.

manikbastrd

It smells Rich and I dont have any white smoke...so I am at a complete loss...
So The chip is a Stage Three EPROM chip?

prove_it

Most likely a stage three chip. I would pull the injectors and look for part numbers on the tops and post them here.

Keydiver might be able to chime in on the chip details.

curtis

who the hell would pull a set of injectors and leave the chip in the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

550's should be easy to find. Check the link above for all the specs on the chip

1qkfwd

You should probably find out what's on the chip before buying injectors. 550s will run different deadtimes than what is burned on that chip. Either that or get a chip burned for stock injectors to get you buy. It looks like the guy wanted to keep his 550s and just cramed in there what he had layin around. Before driving it to much either get the right injectors or chip so your not screwin anything up.

manikbastrd

I wanted to get some FIC 650's however I need to run DSMlink or an AFC, I just got the 1Gdsm datalogger kit so I will be able to check for knock etc...I also need a wideband I thinking AEM or LM1/LM2 anyone lookin to sell a wideband by any chance? I am still debating whether to get DSMlink or just an afc and timing controller(I don't know how to tune with link at all)...looks like 550's are next though... Thanks for the help guys! Any suggestions or reccomendations are appreciated. Hopefully I will get all the receipts for the car this week and will be able to figure ou what this guy did with this car lol. Thanks again!
Manik

I would do link, I run v3 and I think it is amazing... It data-logs and you can tune with it and so much more link is not to hard to tune with if your setup is basic. As for wide band I like the LC1, (Because it has programmable out puts) Just my opinion...
And if you do link let me know I will buy back that logger kit. For credit towards link.. As on my site,,
click

Last edited by a moderator:

Quoting manikbastrd:
I wanted to get some FIC 650's however I need to run DSMlink or an AFC, I just got the 1Gdsm datalogger kit so I will be able to check for knock etc...I also need a wideband I thinking AEM or LM1/LM2 anyone lookin to sell a wideband by any chance? I am still debating whether to get DSMlink or just an afc and timing controller(I don't know how to tune with link at all)...looks like 550's are next though... Thanks for the help guys! Any suggestions or reccomendations are appreciated. Hopefully I will get all the receipts for the car this week and will be able to figure ou what this guy did with this car lol. Thanks again!
Manik

If your going to go with dsmlink dont waste your money on 650cc inj, get atleast fic950. If your like most of us you will need bigger inj once the mod bug bites.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts