The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my new VR4 91 896 summit white *UPDATED WITH PICS*

Ian M

By runner,that means inside the manifold. I'd want to see what exactly I was dealing with.

It appears that someone already changed out the stud in the exhaust housing for four bolts,so getting the manifold off is super easy..as long as none of the studs break,then you are drilling. Start soaking,you might luck out. There is a gasket between the head and block,and one between the manifold and exhaust housing.

Not a bad idea pick up some new studs and nuts,and turbo bolts and concave washers (the turbo bolts like to work loose if you re-use the washers) just to be safe.

91GSR

im gonna go out and work on it tonight, weather permnitting. i need to get this car up and running before my apt complex decides it is abandoned and tows it away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

91GSR

so as soon as my taxe3s come im getting a few things for 897. im gonna replace the steering wheel if i can find a decent one, since mines all ate up, gonna get the fuel line replaced (wanted to go with SS, but i think for now ill go stock and upgrade everything later). gonna get new turbo bolts, manifold studs, and ex mani gasket. i am shopping for a timing belt kit. i dont want to source everything seperately. i would like to go with a kevlar belt. from what ive heard they last longer with more abuse. SBR has a kit for around 350 with kevlar belt, tensioner/pulley and idler pully. is this a decent deal? i dont know how much these things usually cost and i dont wanna go spending money i dont have to that could be spent on other, more fun things.

also im getting a couple things to put to the side for later isntallation. namely an EGR blockoff plate, FIAV blockoff plate, boost gauge and oil pressure gage. when i get my AFPR the gauge will come with it. any other gauges i should look into?

StarionESIR

Grab a EGR blockoff plate from any 1G DSM with the 1.8L NT motor. They all have them, and they're either really cheap, or free.

91GSR

already getting one. i dont have too many junk yards close to me so i have to buy one. im not going to install it until i get the car running tho.

91GSR

so i went out today to put the hood from the vr4 onto my GSR...had a mishap with the hoodpins so its toast. bent the hood back into some semblance of originality and laid it across the front of the vr4. just so nothing gets in the engine bay. how come nobody told me that changing a hood latch cable was such a pain in the ass...it took me like 2 hours to do all of that. anyway after that was done i started messing with that bolt thats in the exhaust manifold. its stuck. just wobbles around in the hole, doesnt come out or tighten down. im just going t remove the exhaust manifold and get another one. i wanna get a stock one but on the other hand i know ill be upgrading. would it make much of a difference if i upgrade to an E3 ex mani before i do anything else to the car? before i even get it running? the studs are toast so i have to replace those anyway. the turbo bolts are seized as well so thats going to be fun. anyway just an update on what ive been doing.

also while i was working i was listening to my radio and killed the battery in the GSR...damnit

464/2K

does the car even run?t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

91GSR

nope. my kinda vehicle lol. i like taking something that most people think would be useless and turn it into something amazing. the only thing wrong with it as far as i can see is the ECU. and that is with terry right now getting fixed.

on another note...i was out at the local race spot last night (abandoned roads, no pedestrians, no traffic) and i was puttin down some decent times with the GSR. only 2 seconds slower than an s2k...i was surprised. i was coming in after my last run, gettin ready to go home, when i found a curb >< DOH!! i bent BOTH of my lower control arms. car got towed. gt it out today and have been trying to get the bent ones out. took me almost 2 hours to get the drivers side out. yeah its that bent. ill get some pics once i get the good ones out and the bad ones so u can see a comparison. needless to say im ridin the shoe leather express and carpoolin for about a week or so. on a bright note i can be a candidate for the JSB cru now :p

464/2K

So can you explain to me why you are trying to replace parts on a car that possibly doesnt even run?

91GSR

im replacing the parts to make it run. why would i not replace parts to make the vr4 run? im replacing parts on the GSR right now cuz i broke it lol. i didnt see it cuz i just wasnt paying attention and revelling in my amazing run...then it hit me...literally.

464/2k: read the whole thread for any info you might want

464/2K

yeah but you should find the route problem instead of doing all kinds of sh*t to the vr4. find out if it even starts. see if the thing even cranks by hand.

91GSR

i already have...this is all in the thread...ive already checked eerything and just need to get the ecu back in and the valve cover replaced. thats all i can see is wrong. for obvious reasons im gonna do the timing belt and all fluids just for good measure but other than that the car is straight

91GSR

updates: bought a bunch of new parts for both cars. got ARP SS manifold studs and turbo bolts, new timing belt kit, boost gauge, shaved valve cover, 1g TEL shifter/boot, my ECU is fixed and on its way back to me, new tie rods/ends with control arms and stabilizer bar linkages, jdm fmic, and a walbro 255 that will be installed at a later date once the car is running. aeromotive fuel filter with SS -6AN feeder line kit. and just to be a show off i got a clear timing belt cover too. the control arm swap is going good, bout half done id say. drivers side is complete and just a few more bolts to get off to get the pass off on the gsr. im stoked to start doing some real work on the vr4 and get her on the road.

Everyone's flaming u on your car. Take my advice, don't get aftermarket parts just yet if the vehicle it's self can not perform even stock standards. I purchased my summit white 92 Feb 1. I ran with some minor problems, mainly leaking issues with coolant and exhaust. I started replacing components that would fail around this time and ended up this past week doing a complete head job. You'll never know the extend of engine damage until you take apart your engine. I'm with you on the whole car rarity thing, but don't blow all your money without knowing first if it runs. Hope to meet up with you one day, I'm slowly rebuilding my gvr4.

91GSR

the only aftermarket parts im putting on the car right now is the fuel feeder line. and that isnt going to effect anything. everything else is being set to the side until the car i sin tip top shape then im going to mod things. i dont car if i get flamed for the car...i get it all the time for just owning a gsr...im used to it. im gonna do what i feel will make my car work...and if i fail then ill try and try and try til it runs and works. i dont care what people say they "think" i should do. i go by results.

464/2K

why would you do that when plenty of us have been threw this same damn trail. we are only helping you so your life isn't so miserable owning a GVR4. we want you to enjoy the car not hate it before you can even drive it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

91GSR

i enjoyed this car before i even owned it. i will never hate a car that makes me work on it to get it the way i want it. how else would i make it MY car

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned