The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my new VR4 91 896 summit white *UPDATED WITH PICS*

dsmless

to check the turbo just take the intake hose off of it and use your fingers to move the shaft ina dn out and up and down a little up and down is ok but no in and out should be felt, try spinning it a little making sure its not rough if you can get a mirror in there inspect the compressor blades if there al bent up then it ingested something if they look fine then your good, but you dont need to remove the turbo tto do that sometimes the bolts will come out stripped or break in the turbo threads so if you can get away without removing it then better, if you have a shop vac shove the air blowing side into the compressor inlet and pressurise the whole intake/intercooler side, with a bottle of soapy water check all the connections and throttle body for leaks, well luck

GIjoe

Congrats!!!! Im glad you could find one so fast and that you gave up on the gsr build!!!
I hope everything works out well with the car!
Take good care of it and have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
Looks nice, how is the under body rust?

91GSR

havent inspected much under the car, but i lifted up the trunk carpet and the whole body is good back there. going to auto zone later today to buy all the fluids i need and when i lift the car up to change the oil and everything tomorrow i will get some pics and let y'all know. sendin my ECU out on wednesday to terry. ill be getting that back around the end of the month. hopefully by mid march ill have it running. as long as i dont find anything else wrong with it. oh i was wondering if anyone has a pic of the stock engine setup so i can make sure i put all the piping and intake back in correctly. the MAF and intake piping are in the back seat right now. from what i can tell the guy was trying to dig around under the hood and find out what was wrong when it was the ECU the whole time.

464/2K

You should make sure the car starts before you replace everything...... Because it may need a full overhaul... Which means all new fluids. Gotta think before you spend your money in things that dont need to be done. If it starts and sounds good then go ahead and change everything. Fuel shouldnt go bad after 6months.... It may be "bad" but it wont corrode the lines and tank. That takes years of sitting to eat sh*t.

Ian M

Quote:

if you have a shop vac shove the air blowing side into the compressor inlet and pressurise the whole intake/intercooler side, with a bottle of soapy water check all the connections and throttle body for leaks, well luck

You won't be able to make enough pressure with a shop vac to find leaks unless they are HUGE. Compressed air is the way to do it.

Since you are just taking the previous owners word that it's been sitting only 6 months,putting some fresh gas in it probably wouldnt be a bad idea. It's cheap enough fo a couple gallons. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank to drain the old.

Last edited:

91GSR

thats what im gonna do. im not gonna flush the whole fuel system. im just gonna drain the gas thats in there and put fresh in there. i know for a fact that the car doesnt start...the ECU was ate up by the capacitors. i went and got some synchromesh today so i can do the tranny fluid tomorrow. also got some castrol high milage so i can do the oil (thats the stuff i put in my GSR and it works great). got some antifreeze so i can flush the radiator and some brake fluid in case it needs it. also got a car cover to prevent any more dust and dirt build up. i dont like how dirty and grimy it is, but i cant do much about it right now. there is no car wash in my apt complex and i dont wanna buy a bucket and sponge...im just too lazy and its just too cold. hopefully after tomorrow it will have all fresh fluids in it waiting for my ecu to come back to start it up. should i do the timing belt before i try starting it? im going to do the crank turn thing, but the timing belt looks alright to at least get the car going and change it when i have enough money to get a really nice kevlar belt and do the tensioner as well. any more advice anyone has to get me on the road to success is welcome. i cant wait to start sinkin my teeth into this bish

91GSR

so i was out digging around in my car and found a few good and a few bad things. first with the bad so that all the good makes u feel better :p

bad: i think one of the seals in the turbo might be blown. there is burnt oil CAKED onto the bottom of the turbo and all down the bottom of the oil pan.

bad: there is a bit of rust on the frame. not a whole lot, nothing that will cause huge problems, but it will have to be delt with.

bad: the fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail has been cut. it needs to be replaced.

bad: everything is horribly dirty...im covered in junk right now lol

now on to the things that make me smile

good: absolutely ZERO shaft play in all directions on the turbo

good: the throttle body is perfectly clean on the inside. see...

good: the guy i bought it from said that it has a full 2.5" cat back exhaust, turns out i have a full 2.5" turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat. and none of it is rusted or anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

there isnt any oil in the intake piping...so im not exactly sure about the seals i have a couple questions too. number one...whats with this bolt that is in the exhust manifold? its not tight or anything and i cant get it out.

also...is this a 1g or 2g throttle body elbow? im gonna get a 2g if this isnt it. i dont really know what the differences in looks are.

evo8ya

The extra bolt in the manifold is prob where a EGT probe was mounted at one point. If it doesn't leak, I would just leave it alone.

The elbow is a 1g. If you do put a 2G elbow on there you'll have to make a adaptor for the upper I/C piping because the 1G piping is smaller than a 2G.

All in all, good find though. Gl with it

Diego

Quoting 91GSR:
goopy #4 spark plug

i had the same lookin oil residue on my #1 cylinder when i changed out the plugs to see if that was my starting problem.. well its not. but why is the oil gettin on the plugs? like his and mine?

91GSR

so if i replace the elbow i have to replace all the intake piping? that bolt in the manifold is just bouncing around in there. i cant get it out, but it wont tighten down either. i have no idea what it is...

91GSR

ok so since im going to redo the fuel system anyway...since the current lines are probably a little rusty and i wanna upgrade anyway. will it effect the engine too much if i upgrade the whole system now to 6An lines? im talkin all the way from the pump up to the filter, changing the filter out to an AM one then from the filter to the rail. this way later on i can add on an AFPR without worrying about the rest of the fuel system looking cool too lol. i can get everything from SBR for about 300 bucks. and its an upgrade i wanna do anyway and it needs to be done since the fuel lines been cut. ideas? advice?

dsmless

mines a -6 an from tank to filter next time we get together check it out very simple setup hit me up i got some stuff you could use, oh and check that the lights all work properly as wellas the electronics,

91GSR

when i picked up the car the guy stuck a battery pack in it so i could roll down the windows to get it on and off the trailer. the wipers work, all the internal electronics work (windows, locks, dash lights, seat belts) but i didnt try to turn on the headlights. im gonna wait til my income taxes come back and buy an optima. im not going cheap on anything for this car. only the best for the vr4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian M

Quoting 91GSR:
so if i replace the elbow i have to replace all the intake piping? that bolt in the manifold is just bouncing around in there. i cant get it out, but it wont tighten down either. i have no idea what it is...

The stock piping is about "1 7/8,which is what the stock 1g elbow diameter is. Generally,"2 1/4 or "2 1/2 is what you would upgrade to. Unless you are into jerry rigging it (sounds like you are not),I would just port out the casting flash inside and run it until you upgrade the pipes and IC.

Can you see if that bolt protrudes into the manifold runner?

91GSR

manifold runner? i felt under the manifold and i can tell it doesnt go all the way thru. and i know how bad the bolts can be if u take it off. im thinkin ill shoot it with some WD40 a couple few times over the next couple days then this weekend see if i can try and get it out again. my big plan right now since i have to wait for my ECU to come back is the rims/tires. i have the stock rims and brand new tires (less than 300 miles) from my GSR that im going to sand down and repaint for the vr4. only 3 of the stock wagon wheels came with the car so ill be selling them just for a little extra coin to throw back into the build.

StarionESIR

If I were you, id address that mystery bolt issue first. If there is a nut on the backside of it (inside the runner) and that decides to come off, it will go right into the turbo and it will be ruined.

ktmrider

^^ +1.
Like mentioned that mani was likely tapped for an EGT probe ( altho #1 is the better choice IIRC ).
Anyhow someone wanted that probe and just shoved a bolt in the hole to cover it. Worst case find another 2g or newer manifold to avoid leaks.

91GSR

is changing out a manifold hard? i would guess that u just unbolt it, put the new one on with a new gasket right? the only thing im worried about is breaking the olts between the turbo/manifold or even the manifold bolts. i have been crazy busy this week with work and this volunteer crap im doing plus my wife had a dr appt in DC yesterday...blegh i wanna go work on my car and relax lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned