The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

OldHairyBastard

Are you guys going to do in car vids like on the hill climb events for the whole season? It would make for a nice series from start to finish to see all of the adjustments that needed to be made along with maybe some upgrades and differences of same as the year rolls on.

Doug

CP

Hopefully Nick and I can get some follow-the-leader footage at some point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll just need to figure out how the hell to edit and post my video. The few laps that I have posted were at random since I don't know how to use the software.

Bimmubishi

Cy, sorry I meant the 9-10 weekend. : ) I guess I'm getting excited. I'm definitely going to run an in car camera this year but I'm going to mount it in a better place than last year so the roll cage diagonal isn't in the way.

As far as Nick's car goes- we mounted the Tein top mounts. We're going to shoot for -3 front and -1 rear camber for the first event, zero toe f+r, then make changes as we see fit from there. He's resigned to using the AGX and mystery spring combination for the first event. The car made 200whp @19psi the other day on the dyno which is good for a standard motor. I think we can make more power down the road without much problem. (A stock STI makes 207 on our dyno) and Nick's car is far lighter. I have to go help someone but I'll post more later.

skivittlerjimb

I'm signed up for April 9 at NHIS, but I'm getting more and more doubtful it will be with the new car, as my cage builder has yet to give me dates for the work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Luckily the old car hasn't been raided for parts just yet. I'll likely just throw the Azenis back on it, get it inspected, change out the critcal fluids (brakes, engine oil, tranny oil), get a fresh alignment, and run with that.

Looking forward to it, and to seeing two other GVR4s on the track as well.

-Jim B.
280/1000- waiting patiently to play
1432/2000- still got some fight in her

CP

Sweet Jim! You're welcome to stay here on Sunday night if you want to. NHIS is an 80 minute drive north up I93 for me. Try to watch as much track footage as you can between now and then. It helps if you've already got the course memorized before you get there.

Al: I ran -2.6* front and -1.5* rear camber last year and am going to keep it the same this year; 0 toe all around. I've got the Whiteline caster bushings to put on still, and will do that before I take the car to Direct Tire for its alignment in a few weeks.

I can't wait to see you guys at the track in a month!

Bimmubishi

I think we're going to stay at the Ramada Inn up the street. Something went wrong with Bill's payment to COM so he can't drive on Sat, just Sunday.

Gordian79

I just realize that this car was far sale awhile back.By the time i was ready to buy the owner decided to keep it for ice racing.is this the same owner?

skivittlerjimb

2900 lbs. is fantastic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif That's 300+ lbs. lighter than a stock Evo 8 or 9 or STi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I'm guessing there's some dyno. tuning time and possibly some corner-weighting still in the works?

I'm pretty bummed I'm probably not going to have the new car ready for NHIS. Not that 1432 needs that much done to it to make it ready, just the normal spring prep. stuff, but I'd hoped to have moved on by now. Oh well. All in due time. Still need to email the COM folks to make sure they won't have any issue with switching to Street Touring. Other than no cat. and an MBC, 1432 is pretty much set up the way an ST GVR4 would be for COM's rules. I'm hopeful they'll be lenient on a newbie who's only doing the instruction day. Getting pretty psyched up for it.

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

If you're only doing the first day it doesnt matter what class you've registered for. Only during the time trials would people get snooty and potential protest you. Dont worry about the classifaction right now, epecially if you're only doing the first day.

Im so pumped that the car is under 3k lbs! Its just feels so rewarding having spent so much time shaving and striping weight off of the car. Once I manage to afford and find some EVO MR bilsteins I plan on getting some ground controls and then a corner balance is in order. Id like to take some weight off of the driver's side front corner and try to even out the front a bit more.

BTW, there is a half tank of gas in the car right now too.

CP

Nice job Nick! I bailed on the cage idea after talking with a few shops, and have decided that this isn't the right car to prep for full out track duty. So I'm in the same boat as Jim. To be honest, I could care less about the time trial part of the event. So I'll have to see what sort of reaction I get for Street Prepared from the tech inspectors.

I finally brought my camera home after having left it at the shop all week. Last week Al finished the intake piping in its entirety. Really all that was left to be done was the by-pass valve tubing, and then I scotch-brited all the tubing after wards.
DSC00084.jpg

I received my Odyssey Dry Cell battery and made/mounted a battery box for it.
DSC00086.jpg

And the biggest achievement of last week has to be the exhaust system. Its pretty much all the tubing from Al's old evoII exhaust, which is a 2.5" mandrel bent and now custom fit to the Galant. I'm also using Al's old Vibrant straight through muffler. Its so quite at idle and sounds so bad ass when all spooled up. The throttle response and smooth time is incredible.
DSC00088.jpg

Lastly this is a little custom tid-bit I made because the clock wouldn't clip in and stay in.
DSC00091.jpg

I need to get the tires mounted, and get the car aligned. Also the brake ducting comes in this week sometime, so I have to figure that out. Also, I received my ACT 6 puck clutch disc in the mail the other day. The other disc was slipping on the dyno, it never really got broken in, its a shame, it was brand new.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

How'd you get the center vents out, or was it like that when you bought the car? I've got gauges coming that I was planning to put there.

Bimmubishi

Cy, a lot of the stuff was done by our friend Sammy, who owned the car before Nick. He ripped em out with a set of pliers I think. The engine looks not so finished but it's in really good shape. We're doing a new clutch disk this weekend (or sometime before the first event)

Over this season and next year we'll do all the stuff to make it look the part, finish work, paint, metal coating etc.

So as the local racers know, NHIS was canceled due to snow; and the up coming Watkins Glen might suffer the same fate if the weather doesn't improve. But the car was pretty much ready to go for a shake down week end. It was extremely disappointing for everyone, as we had all worked long hour prepping the cars. The Galant got a few new goodies thrown on, with a few more to add on.

I managed to get the brake ducts installed, and I really wanted to see if they made a difference or not.
DSC00114.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

I also install the Hawk HT-10 pads with a full system flush with Motul 600 fluid.

By chance, I came across a setup of 225/45/17 Hoosiers that have a couple of weekends left on them. Luckily, I run the Honda on 17" wheels. . . So the Galant now has the Honda wheels and the Honda is rollin' on the Gold Sparco Gravel wheels.
DSC00118.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

After having driven the car on the street for a couple minutes, I started to agree with Al when he said that the shifter throw was too long. I liked the height of the shifter, but the throw was comparable to a jeep wrangler. So after a brief compromise, we decided to cut the shifter rod, but raise the shifter base. Thus keeping the height, but shortening the throw. It feels 100% better.
DSC00120.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention that we also got myself a EVO IX MR Bilstein setup! Alex already installed the rears for me, which are installed in the above pics. The fronts aren't in yet because I'm trying to figure out some springs. Ive been talking to the friendly folks at Ground Control about helping me out with a custom setup. Ive decided to go pretty stiff with the springs. I'm thinking 10kg/mm up front and 7kg/mm in the rear. I know the Bilsteins can be re-valved, so when they blow out, it wont be so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

rheckert

Its not pretty but it sure looks like it will be a track warrior! I like it a lot. Looks like it will be a blast.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned