The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

CP

I used to use some stuff on my Explorer about a decade ago. There was a seam below both rear doors on the rocker panel that typically rusted out on those trucks. After a thorough sanding, I applied some goopy stuff that actually ate the rust and dried black in color. I want to say it was called Restore, but I think that's what I was putting in the engine at each oil change. Sorry I forgot the name of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but it's out there and easy to find.

blacksheep

I always wondered this as well:

for example: If a quarter panel is rusting and a section is fixed - will applying POR over it prevent any more rusting?

Also, with it being thick (goopy) and all - Is there any sound insulation properties? I wonder how well it will work for door panels etc...

Quote:

Bill could probably TIG up a custom rad for you with oversized end tanks for less dough than a Koyo and it would work better for hillclimbs or the three or four lap runs you'll be making.

Cheers, Ted

In due time maybe. Id like to see how it does before going "all out" on everything.

And as far as you guys asking about the POR 15 paint. Polish had it pretty much nailed. When it dries, it seals up the metal, (given you covered the whole area) and when its does, its really hard to chip or crack it. Alex lives by this stuff, and he got me hooked too. Everything I take off of the car, if I know that its going to have time to dry, Ill paint it. Its perfect for repaired metal, as some one had mentioned.

http://www.por15.com/

Also, Blacksheep, its not very "goopy" when its in the can. Once it starts to dry it gets much thicker. But the when you're actaully painting something it goes on rather smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polish

It's not goopy at all, it's just like paint. I don't know how much it would help with noise though. It does look nice if you paint it cleanly on. It will pretty much self level and dry to a nice smooth finish.

CP

Which is exactly what you don't want when you're driving a wet session and you're feet won't stay in front of the pedals. I'm sure you could mix some sand in for a bit of traction for shoes.

Quote:
Which is exactly what you don't want when you're driving a wet session and you're feet won't stay in front of the pedals. I'm sure you could mix some sand in for a bit of traction for shoes.

That, Ive found, can be solved with a bit of grip tape, similar to the stuff on skateboards. I started to get it under the pedals, but I never got around to finishing it. A textured paint would work also I'd think.

Rausch

if i remember correctly the POR 15, or maybe a similar product by the same company??, works best with a part that was rusted to some degree, i believe the chemicals react with the oxidation to for a hardened layer that seals the part. we did an old nova with that stuff about 10 yrs ago, and after the wash, the parts look like they did the day it was painted. mind you it does not get driven too often, but often enough to warrant rust in other places that had to be taken care of...

The tubing came in the other day for the passenger side harness. Alex welded it in for me while I was at work and I painted it yesterday afternoon. Today I got the harnesses mounted and adjusted. And then I made my way down to Besso's house to pick up a couple goodies from him.

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC0042.jpg

I picked up an uncut front bumper from Besso and a CF trunk lid. The got the lid on right after I got back to the shop.

cftrunk2.jpg

cftrunk.jpg

I had to cut the trunk springs off. The trunk was ready to jump right over the car with them hooked up and half the weight on them.

Im going back tomorrow to put the bumper on.

It was nice of you to stop by today. Wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif that trunk looks good on there. She is really starting to come around. I wanna see the front bumper money shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW you can just peel the chrome trim strip form your old bumper and put it on the new one. It is easy and only takes a couple seconds. You might need to just put some new tape on the backing

Besso, thanks again for the bumper and stuff. thankfully, everything made it home alright. I thought the towels might fly away a couple times, but eveything made it just fine.

And Ill take some pics of the oil cooler setup tomorrow for you, ercp98. I have to take pics of the FMIC piping for someone else on the board too.

kcpaz

I would kill for one of those trunk lids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I wish I could find one

JB

Quote:
I have to take pics of the FMIC piping for someone else on the board too.

That would be me. Got any off the car by any chance?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
damn that thing is coming along. guys always grinding up there.
keep up the good work!

Quote:
Quote:
I have to take pics of the FMIC piping for someone else on the board too.

That would be me. Got any off the car by any chance?

Maybe. Some of the piping will be coming out to polish and correct the fitment. Ill snap a few picks.

CP

Looking good. I like the clear center tails. I've got that piece at home, and may slap it on the car soon. It came from a base model that I was pillaging for a month or two at the end of the summer at the junkyard on Rt128 in Waltham.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned