The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

curtis

oh no there's two of them in the family. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice work nick.

Quote:
Yeah, that could be part of my cooling problem. I don't think it's coming out just yet after the drive back from WG last year in 90* temps. Does it restrict flow to the radiator THAT much? As I stated, with both fans ON for sessions I haven't had any further problems..but the car always runs hot.

You know, maybe I will pull it in the next few months, and just grin and bear the heat in the summer. However it's nice after a long hot day baking at the track to cool off on the drive home. I don't think I'd have made it home on July 3rd (heat stroke issues if you recall) without cold air in my face for the entire trip.

The condensor does inhibit quite a bit of air flow to the radiator, and coupled with a FMIC, the amount of "cool" air the radiator is actually getting is minimal. Especially if the condensor fins are clogged with any type of road debris, (ie leaves pebbles etc.)

JB

i thought double trouble was hot twins? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

blacksheep

Get a cheap carbon hood and spray it white.
Trim rear bumper cover like Curtis did.
Ditch the stock wing and get a trunlid if possible.
If it has 4WS, ABS, PS, cruise, AC - ditch all that sh*t as well. It will clean your engine bay a gazzillion bazillion times.
throw a fuel cell in the bizniatch

Looks awesome.

Last edited:

Keep it green! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like good progress so far.

CP

Just get a NASCAR hood for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't know how they can withstand a 200mph breeze blowing over them. Those things weigh next to nothing, and are flimsy as hell (no bracing that I've ever seen). Why not just cut a piece of aluminum using the stock hood as a template, add a few braces and you're done.

Quote:
Quote:
Keep it green! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like good progress so far.

yuck - white powah!

I mean I have a white one so I keep it white. I would keep that one green since it started life that way and there were only 3 other color choices lol. Thats just me though.

JB

it makes sense tho flying the "cooperate colors" tho...

Last edited:

Holy crap you guys aren't wasting any time. Keep it up & keep us posted. Why did you have to move the cage that far back? Is is due to seating position?

Bimmubishi

Garfield, we're tall and to get the space between the seat back and the harness bars that we're adding that's where it has to be. My car is the same way. Bill's main hoop is over his rear bumper.. tall bastard that he is. (6'7)

atc250r

Staff member
Going to the shop is like going to a f'ing giant convention! It looks really good and it seems you've got the path you want to take pretty well sorted out.

Removing the condensor DEFINITELY made a difference in my car. Just cruising on the highway in cool weather it dropped coolant temps on the logger by about 10*F.

John

CP

Alright, now you've got me searching for the "AC delete" thread in the How To section /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe I can spend a day on that later this month instead of trying to scrape funds together for a $400 radiator that I'd rather spend on some cams or my next set of summer tires.

Ted Andkilde

Quote:

The cooling system should be OK for now. I know these cars can run hot, but after having talked to Alex about this, it should be OK. I know another DSMer who does COM events and with a couple of holes drilled in the thermostat his GSX never gets over 185 degrees. So there are some cheap options I have before shelling out the money for a Koyo or Fluidyne.

Bill could probably TIG up a custom rad for you with oversized end tanks for less dough than a Koyo and it would work better for hillclimbs or the three or four lap runs you'll be making.

Cheers, Ted

jepherz

Staff member
Looks awesome. Keep on taking the pics; we love looking at that stuff.

And ohh yeah, POR15 does rule!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Will something like POR keep rust from coming back through the paint on a crossmember or other parts like that? I have cleaned and painted parts like that, but eventually the rust (surface, appearance rust, not structural) will come back through. Looking for something to stop that.

Polish

Yes, they claim it will. If you completely coat whatever it is. It completely seals the metal.

jepherz

Staff member
Quote:
Will something like POR keep rust from coming back through the paint on a crossmember or other parts like that? I have cleaned and painted parts like that, but eventually the rust (surface, appearance rust, not structural) will come back through. Looking for something to stop that.

I think part of the reason por15 is supposed to stop rust over regular paint is because it creates a much harder surface. I can't say how well it actually prevents rust, as I just used it a few months ago for the first time. We'll see though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned