The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Civic Radiator

iLLeffeKt vr-4

If you need the space go for it. If not leave it alone. I went with one when I had the galant because my tial wastegate was touching the stock radiator.

Here's my install:

click

thecman02

+1 ^ I have a civic koyo radiator. While it does work I'd rather have as much cooling capacity as possible. I'd get a dual core koyo full size if I had the space.

Gombos

Definitely stay with a stock style rad or the biggest one you can fit. I tested out a civic rad in my old 2g and it couldn't keep up in my application. Even if you used the civic rad, cooler t-stat etc., like turbowop said, this could keep you in a closed loop situation which can cause drivability issues and/or poor MPG.

If you do end up running a civic rad, make sure you have all of your heatshields intact, use a quality fan, and use a fan shroud.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Just keep in mind that the 1g/2g eclipse doesn't have an upper grille like the galant does so that's why it works better on the galant than on the eclipse/talon.

Hondasi88

I never understood or took the time to really read into dsm's and gvr4's with civic radiators. I had a turbo 92 GSR acura with the civic radiator...."Nothing but problems" Dual core/Single core
just a major headache.

That was a 1.7 DOHC vtec compared to the Civic's 1.6 Sohc

OZRally

I went from stock to Honda radiator (space issues) and now using a Scirocco unit. Stock was perfect but I was running into space issues so I jumped to a Honda radiator. I had nothing but problems! I used a 14" puller on all the time and temps would be at 210 and climbing while idling. Right now I'm using the Scirocco radiator with absolutely no issues. Temps have never gone over 200 while sitting for 40 mins in traffic or after highway pulls and back into traffic. I'm using a 12" puller and 10" pusher. The puller is run by a manual switch in emergencies, which has never been used. The 10" pusher is controlled by a separate thermo switch to turn on at 190 and off at 180.

I suggest staying with stock if you have enough room and don't need to upgrade. And if you do then go with an aftermarket 1g unit or Scirocco.
Good luck

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned