The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Civic Radiator

MegaSuiter

Just blew my radiator at work last night.... How long does it take to take out the old radiator and install a civic/ebay one. Anyone recommend it? Or just stay with the stock huge radiator?

citymunky

2 hose clamps, 4 bolts. Not that long to remove.

The whole swap should be a few hours with bleeding the air out of th system. If the t-stat is old I would replace that also.

Xcelerate

Stay with stock. Honda engines are small, non turbo, aluminum and open deck so it doesn't need much to cool down and doesn't create much heat. 4g63 engine is cast block, close decked, small coolant holes, and turbo. You definitely need a bigger radiator and bigger front opening to cool this beast down

vtecds1

Does not take long at all, you just have to fab a bracket. Look at the civic radiator threads, especially mine before attempting to install one.

Brunoboy

Quoting Xcelerate:
Stay with stock. Honda engines are small, non turbo, aluminum and open deck so it doesn't need much to cool down and doesn't create much heat. 4g63 engine is cast block, close decked, small coolant holes, and turbo. You definitely need a bigger radiator and bigger front opening to cool this beast down

people here and DSM owners are running civic Radiators for space with no issues.

MegaSuiter

So from what I have read I buy a radiator and 14 inch fan, Drill holes in the support, Get rubber grommets when I can, and irregardless if I connect the sensor it will work? Just have the fan on 100% of the time.

citymunky

I wired a Power/ECO switch to my control my fan. (On/Off)

Mine had small posts on the bottom of the radiator that I stuck into the stock location with a rubber donut and made a bracket for the top. Done deal.

turbowop

Unless you absolutely need the space, why install a Civic radiator? Stock radiators for our application can even be found in stock in my podunk town, so they're not hard to source, and they're fairly cheap to boot.

4thStroke

Are you bored and looking for something to do?

There is no reason to change the style of the radiator if you do not need more space unless you just want to create work for yourself.

mr.mitsu

I run a push and puller fan with no issues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif controlled by my AC switch

Dsm and civic rad hoses are different diameters so I made an adapter out of some pipe to reduce leaks.

Good luck

rdomeck

Stay with the stock one! The Civic one holds more....Maybe, but it has less surface area to cool it down, so the capacity improvement really isn't!!!! Would you take a piece of cardboard and cover half of your stock radiator and expect it to cool the same? Keep it stock.

vtecds1

Quoting MegaSuiter:
Thought it would be cheaper and easier to work with, plus I have read about cars running 15 degrees cooler!

All depends on your set up. Are you running a FMIC? Do you still have the AC condenser? I had both and my temps were higher than what I would of liked them to be. This was around the fall season too...I could only imagine what the temps would of been in the hot summer months. If you are set on a civic radiator, make sure you get the highest rated cfm fan that can fit(14" might be the limit).

MegaSuiter

No AC no big fmic, so I think it will be fine. With a 14 inch fan I don't think the surface area would matter than much. Plus plenty of people are running them with no problems.

turbowop

Your car shouldn't be running 15 degrees cooler due to a radiator change. Temperature is controlled by the thermostat, and running that cool will keep the ECU in "warmup" mode all the time anyway. There is no benefit.

FWIW, in 1051 I have about the biggest intercooler you can fit, and I still have AC. All on the stock radiator. Driving the car around the summer it's just fine, and it gets into the upper 90's, lower triple digits for a month here in Eastern WA.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts