The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

transparentdsm

So i decided to find this vacuum leak. I hooked a boost leak tester up and it was coming from the BOV area. i decided that since have to fix that, that i would take all of the intercooler piping off, rescuer the intercooler core to the car, swapped the a/c fan for a slim fan, cut out the front bumper and support so you can see the intercooler and the misfits skull that i spray painted on there, do a bit of a wire tuck on the pass side, spray all the intercooler piping black, cruise control delete cable, swap some things on the 93 clear headlights and clean some other things in the engine bay. i will be taking pictures as i start to put it back together. really excited because it looks a lot cleaner already and will make things under the hood a bit more discrete.

here is what i did to the headlights.

i took the headlights i had in the car and baked them and separated them, then did the same to my new 93 clear lenses i had. the inside chrome was peeling so bad in the 93 ones that i used the chrome from the stock ones, but i removed the deflectors from the low beam section. i really like the way they came out. i also repainted the top of them black.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

got some of the piping installed this morning and started to wrap up the wire tuck.

hope you all like it, i personally think its coming along really nice, im happy with it.

just finished the wire tuck and installed almost the rest of the piping aside from one 45 degree coupler.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

so im still waiting on a bunch of parts. i need the intake cone i ordered and the last 45 degree coupler that was shipped out to me wrong. here is how she looks now that i pulled all my intercooler piping and finished some of my under the hood stuff. almost done and very excited. i also did some what of a wire tuck and what i think is a pretty neat intake routing setup, the intake cone is going to sit in the last picture right where the side mount would be on a 1g. i need to take better pictures of that though.. hopefully this weekend after i get the parts and put it together. so i can take pictures of the finally finished and complete car.

transparentdsm

finished up the intake routing and installed the filter.

now im in the process of figuring out how to get air to flow in and out of there.

still waiting on the damn coupler.....

LIV4PSI

Progress is looking good. I love the way black intercooler piping looks, I always have. You can tell you take pride in your work.

If I could make one small suggestion, there are zip ties that are specifically made to mount slim line fans. They are cheap and would look much better than the bracket you have.

transparentdsm

the last time i used those fan zip ties it ripped the fins off my radiator, thats why i made these brackets. now that there mocked up im going to take them off and clean and paint them.

LIV4PSI

That's good to know I guess. I always use the zip ties for my fans, I would be pissed it is messed up my radiator. I've only ever slightly bent a few fins, but I will keep my eye on them.

How long before you think you will have it running?

transparentdsm

im literally waiting on one 45 degree coupler, then put it all back together, then i can turn the car on. the coupler was supposed to be here today, but no luck on that. i actually have already had the car running, i just wasn't happy with the first round of doing the intercooler piping so i decided to pull it all apart and take another stab at it and improve the crap out of the way it looks. im hoping ill have the coupler on monday.

DynastyLCD

looks great, Shane! i like the black piping and intercooler!

normally i HATE when people write/paint on the FMIC.... but i love the Misfits logo on the black Evo FMIC! must be the punk-ass teenager in me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

transparentdsm

it was kid in me that made me do it, plus i thought it was gonna look awesome. now for the intake airflow solution. here it is along with the front bumper put back on. i think it looks pretty freaking good.

now i just need that coupler and i have to take out the pass headlight and redo that because after it rained the lens is fogged. you all can see it... grrr..

Last edited:

transparentdsm

oh sad days.... walked outside to move the vr4 onto the patio to do some work and found out that my sunroof is broken/leaking as i sat down in my seat.. leaked really really bad, like im hoping it didnt ruin my evo seats as the suede is soaked and the foam underneath soaked straight through and left a giant puddle on the floor. since finding this(yesterday) i have tarped the car, removed and threw out the brand new headliner that got ruined, all the seats, the carpet, all the trim plastics and im thinking about removing the auto seatbelts and getting harnesses since everything is apart.... ugh im so upset/disappointed/deterred about this whole project now, i mean im not going to stop or loose interest in it, but i may set it to the side in my shed for a while(like a year, maybe less, who knows) and just get a stock 1g once my brother-in-law give me the last 400$ he owes me fro 1365 and i give it to him.

LIV4PSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
im stuck on the VR4 forever.... i have found a certain comfort in these older cars. 90-92 dsm's and Galant awd's they dont look like there crazy fast cars and when you show people what you really have there jaws drop.... there sleek looking, easy to work on(at least to me) and get really fast with the right mods.

Just a reminder. Don't give up, its only water. We all want to set our cars on fire sometimes, its part of being a GVR4 owner.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Oh, don't you worry, im not planning on giving up, just taking a break from the heartache of every time i get close to being done something else goes bad. I think my mind and body need a stress brake from the car for a bit and my wallet could DEFINITELY use a little rest himself. I just want something that runs and drives and needs little to no maintenance, like the bone stock 1g i just found for 1500, or if i could find a GVR-4 bone stock for 2000 or so.

On a side note, yesterday while finishing pulling the whole interior i found the cause of my leak... not a big deal, a piece of plastic on the bottom where the water catcher is separated from the rest of the unit from it being loose and shacking around to much.. so im going to remove all the screws add lock-tite and reinstall, put RTV on the spots where it was leaking water and then wait for it to pour rain here before i reinstall a single thing, or hose the crap out of the roof.

LIV4PSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
I just want something that runs and drives and needs little to no maintenance, like the bone stock 1g i just found for 1500, or if i could find a GVR-4 bone stock for 2000 or so.

Reliable and no maintenance should never be in the same sentence as a $1500 DSM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Buy a Honda

transparentdsm

little to no maintenance to me is different. as long as i don't have to pull the motor or do a head gasket that is little maintenance(swapping out a clutch is little maintenance to me also), if i don't have to remove the timing side or change out a water pump thats no maintenance to me. i don't count the little things like fuel filters/socks/pumps or fluid changes/flushings, spark plugs, wires, any of that stuff. that is like have to do stuff. That should already be done and before even thinking about driving it consistently... like i said these cars are easy for me to work on.

transparentdsm

So now i need some help, i need some sunroof help. mine is shot and leaking and its not stock, its aftermarket. i really really need some ideas, im thinking something like this click but i really don't know, should i maybe weld i metal piece in there and make it non-sunroof again. i wish no one ever touched this things roof from the beginning. ugh.. someone please help me make a decision.

LIV4PSI

I have a stock sunroof parts car. The roof itself was leaking from rust, and it was epoxied to seal it off. I could hook you up with it for cheap. It might be easier to retrofit stock parts.

I vote get rid of the sunroof altogether, but I have no idea how much any of this costs. Body work isn't my specialty.

transparentdsm

im not worried about the work all so much, i will have the car sent to my boys in patterson, nj if i decide to have the sunroof removed and patched. they do good cheap work.

LIV- can you do me a favor and check the dimension of the stock sunroof, the one in the car is 34" x 18 1/2" (that is the outside trim ring that sits on the roof it's self.) id like to go with a non-sunfoor, but i would have to buy the new headliner and then the whole car will need to be repainted. i don't know... let me know a price on everything and your only in ohio so lets figure out what shipping is and maybe ill just get in a car and drive out there, pick it up in my fiencees wagon.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned