The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

transparentdsm

So today is going to be starting day for the car. I got the car about 6 months ago now and it started out as 1687, it had a knocking motor and a weird feeling trans with a blown out clutch. the car was hurting. I pulled the motor and drivetrain, front and rear seats, headliner and really cleaned out the car and engine bay. I had a good motor in my basement, i had a sheppard stage one transmission in a car i recently crashed with a broken tab on it that i had welded, bought a set of EVO8 seats with Curtis brackets and a new headliner off ebay. I then started to collect parts, got a evo3 gt 16g turbo, EVO8 injectors and intercooler, greddy type s BOV, prosport boost, oil pressure and a/f wideband, blitz turbo timer, removed the rear wing, running s/d now on ecmlink(found it in the ecu) had no idea it was in there, got a new clutch, Thule roof rack, stainless steel battery box in trunk and the 3" exhaust off 1375. While i was collecting these parts i ran across 138/2000 badge for sale and had to pick it up. the number means a lot to me as i grew up with the misfits as my neighbors. i grew up with the bass player jerry onlys son and still to this day is one of my best friends and ive always been a huge misfits fan. i even have a tattoo of the skull on my arm. i plan i putting a misfits skull on the front mount with some spray paint. im still working on the car, had a few last little things to finish up but wanted to start the thread now.... the only things i plan to do from here are add the JDM vented hood, then remove all the seats one more time take the carpet, seat belts and the rear deck carpet out and dye them black. putting 6 new speakers, an amp for them and possibly 1 10" JL audio sub. then i may possibly while the seats and carpet are out, change the headliner again to a darker grey or maybe a black. So you saw the before pictures now its time for the after pictures...also a few of my dog because he rocks.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

lookin good brotha! i love the way those Evo 8 seats look on the wingless BG car! the suede shifter boot is sweet too!

i think the puppy likes it too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

transparentdsm

thank you Phil i really like the way it looks. i think it looks even better in person. i also plan on putting fog lights back in it eventually. im thinking like jeep fog lights... 3"x5" hella lights or something... get some serious night vision.

transparentdsm

so had the car running for about 10 seconds just to make sure it would start and i turned it right off. now i have a few little things left... like put on the exhaust, get my IAT sensor bung welded to the throttle body elbow, charge the A/C, install the new BISS, utilize the driveshaft rebuild kit i have bought, install the new inner tie rod ends & boots, new rear kyb agx struts and a tune. very excited... hope the car makes a lot of power out of the very small mods it does have..

transparentdsm

So yesterday was another day of tuning and driving. well i was about 15 or so miles from my house tuning the car, when the battery light comes on. then the check engine light(coolant temp over 230) so i pull over to the side and the car shuts down. i open the hood to find a small electrical fire, caused by an exhaust leak. the exhaust leak was directly on the alternater and its wires. it melted the wires down and grounded them to one another causing my ignition fuse to blow and not allowing my car to restart. i was stuck on the side of the road for about 15 minutes before i could get my hand in there and separate the two melted together wires. i finally am able to limp my car back home. i get it home and open the hood and take a look. the coolant fan got caught in the shroud and broke the fan off the motor causing the car to not cool down and just overheat. so now i have to pull that whole area apart and start all over again.... although i must say it was a lot of fun to drive and the little tuning i could do made a great amount of difference. just hope to hve it actually running one of these weeks..

Last edited:

Redwood

hell yea man sucks that it fucked up there for a bit, but glad to see that its not that big of a problem to have you back on the road soon..

transparentdsm

So yesterday I was driving home from work and i think i actually thought of the name of my car...

Dorothy

Not like from wizard of oz, but from twister because she is a tin can filled with balls.

transparentdsm

So I have been home the last few days not feeling well and every day I try to get a little bit of the car fixed. Yesterday I finally got the exhaust back together and finished heat wrapping some stuff and got to take the car for a drive to the gas station, about 14 miles away and the car got a good breaking in. I filled the gas tank and got to drive it around a bit. The car was so much fun to drive and after a few minutes it cleared its self up a bit and smoothed out. I got to capture some data logs and do some non-WOT tuning. Very happy with the car, except when I go over 80% throttle the car overheats a bit. Today I'm going to try to get a little more tuning done on the car and have the last few things finished up, like retighten the impossible to get to exhaust manifold bolt behind the power steering pump, fix the oil that is leaking out from the CAS area, put in the custom floor mats, connect the wideband to the EGR Temp input and connect the clutch switch.

Then once all of that is done and the car is drivable, I'll be adding the final cosmetic's to the car. I have 93 clear headlights, a JDM vented hood, a hidden rear windshield antenna, repaint the hood, repaint the roof, repaint the roof rails, repaint the trunk lid, new MMC badge, new VR-4 badge, 4WS door stickers and a real good cleaning.

Last edited:

theevozero

I'm surprised no one else has said anything, but, whats the deal with the china bay turbo?

Otherwise, this car looks clean, aside from the fire.

transparentdsm

Thats a real evo 3 gt big 16g turbo, here is the number stamped on it 49178-01(47)0, nothing fake about it. And as for the fire, it didn't burn anything on the car, just some wires melted and some black soot on the block. Now all of it is cleaned up and you would never tell anything happened. except for the soot still on the block...

desant78

sweet good progress for MOD! keep it up!

LIV4PSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
Thats a real evo 3 gt big 16g turbo

EVO 3 turbos don't say EVO or GT on them, that is the dead give away of an Ebay turbo. Or at least an Ebay housing.

There is no such thing as an EVO 3 GT big 16g turbo. There are small 16gs, big 16gs, and EVO III 16gs.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

click this is a EVO III GT big 16g turbo and here is another link of someone buying one brand new and taking out of the box click, i thought it was MHI, i am mistaken.. but for 300$ and the reviews i have read on it being good were enough for me.. and if it blows up ill just have to find something better.

On another note, LIV4PSI i just checked out your build thread and bravo, your car looks great. have you gone to the track with it or the dyno? im just wondering if you have any numbers.

Last edited:

brisvr4

The GT turbo out of Taiwan is a pretty well made turbo but there is nothing in it from Mitsubishi.
Even their website that you linked to states that they manufacture every part of it.
It should still last you for a decent timeframe though!

transparentdsm

i thought it was an MHI because the hot side has a mitsu logo stamped in it and the compressor housing has the right kinda stamp on it. i wasnt saying it was a MHI i was proving it isn't an ebay/china knock off junk. it's no MHI but its built to hold up like one and besides the evo III GT stamp looks almost the same as a MHI

LIV4PSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
click this is a EVO III GT big 16g turbo and here is another link of someone buying one brand new and taking out of the box click, i thought it was MHI, i am mistaken.. but for 300$ and the reviews i have read on it being good were enough for me.. and if it blows up ill just have to find something better.

On another note, LIV4PSI i just checked out your build thread and bravo, your car looks great. have you gone to the track with it or the dyno? im just wondering if you have any numbers.

That turbo has been around for years. While it is considered a knock off, some people have had good luck with them. I hope you have success with it as well.

As for my car, thanks for the kind words. I don't have any numbers yet. I have gotten it to a reliable car I can drive, but its still a long way from belonging on a track. I plan on doing things right, and once.

transparentdsm

thank you, i got the turbo from BrunoBoy who used it for a while and then before he sold it to me he rebuilt it. not because it was blown but because he had a rebuild kit and was getting out of the game and wanted all his stuff gone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned