The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

transparentdsm

So i went to the dyno, we used a dynojet. my wastegate is acting funky and wouldn't stabilize over 20 psi so i tuned it to 20 psi and still got a great number, IMO. i made 324 HP and 360 TQ, 790/1000 made 330 HP and 329 TQ and Steves Corvette made 606 HP and 535 TQ. it was a fun day.

here is a link: click click on my channel to see Ben and Steves cars on the dyno.

transparentdsm

so i have changed a few things on the car. i got a punishment racing o2 housing and a 38mm tial wastegate and turned the boost up to 25 psi. car runs awesome, i could still play with the tune a bit though. im really happy as of now, but i want to be closer to the 400 awhp range. the next plans are to add some 272 cams and reinstall the meth system, i will also be doing a gates racing belt with all new timing components. after that im hoping i can get on the dyno and put down close to 400.

last night i was out and i made a second gear pull and this happened. im just super happy i was able to remove it with ease.

89Patches

That's impressive! Never seen anything like that before, well when the engine is running.

BTW I like your choice of wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

transparentdsm

I think i might have over torqued them, but they have been in the car for over 1000 miles, so im baffled as to how it happened so far down the road. i thankfully had a set of new plugs laying around and a local DSM'er had a set of MSD 8.5mm wires so i got those and the car is up and running again and happier then when it was on the 7mm wires. i might go out today and do some light tuning on the car.

thanks guys, i really like these rims too. all 4 are pretty clean, a little bit of a scuff on 1 rim. i got them for 200$ locally a few months back and they are actually what made me go to 5 lug.

transparentdsm

things have been great with the car till the other day when i went out and the turbo sounded like a super charger from -3 to 5 psi then normal till full boost. no smoke, no leaks, a lot of in and out and side to side shaft play. car still runs fine and turbo hasn't hit anything and all the fins look good. so i have had a little pile of parts off to the side and i think its time for them. JMF SMIM, S90 3" throttle body, tial 50mm Q bov, PTE SCM6152E, BC 272 cams, Gates kevlar timing belt with all new timing components and i might do my meth kit and a 90 OFH and add an oil cooler into the car. should have most of it done today, pictures will come later.

well starting point

intake and TB

Last edited:

transparentdsm

and i ended today without doing the turbo, ofh or meth kit.

here is the new turbo

and everything i did today, i also went back to my HKS clear timing cover

so i tried out using a COP set-up because of the SMIM, but the car ran like crap on it. i had 8.5mm wires laying around and they made the car run nice.

transparentdsm

got everything in and together, started the car up and its leaking a little coolant from the water pipe right at the water pump. it leaks about a 1/2 and ounce and then stops once warm. i ran 5 heating cycles all with the same results. took the car on a light drive and it didn't leak at all. I then went on a 70 mile drive, no leak, no overheating. still need to address the water pipe issue. after boost leak testing i decided i didn't like how things were configured for the intercooler piping and that it was half chrome/half painted so i took it apart, cleaned and painted it all, reinstalled and then boost leak tested again. this is currently how the car sits and i hope i can leave it this way for a little while.

while i had the intercooler piping off i thought about how much i disliked having to hold the throttle for a few seconds when first starting due to there being no ISC, so i pulled it off and put on in.

MellowVR4

What happened to that manifold blanket?

transparentdsm

2 things came into factor. 1 im no longer running a FP race manifold, im now using a evo 3 ported manifold. 2 after a few thousand miles all the fiberglass and heat packing started to break apart and leave dust and fibers everywhere in the engine bay, after seeing this i decided i no longer wanted to use it. i pulled the manifold off and compared it to the evo 3 and decided the evo 3 would be more then suitable for my needs. i made these discoveries and decisions while removing the 16g and installing the 18g.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

I see I see, good to know. I was going to get one but I had my concerns also. Didn't the ad say it will not break apart? lol

transparentdsm

yeah, it was part of the reason i was ok with it, but after all the heat cycles it was dustier then heat wrap. one day i pulled it off to clean and found a giant pile of fibers collected inside the FP manifold, at that point i decided i no longer wanted to use that. at first i recommended it due to the amount of heat reduction it created, but since have changed my mind. maybe i got a bad one or something. i wonder if Brett has had this issue with his at all.

MellowVR4

Yeah G has it on his vr4, I wonder how its been doing for him. Maybe they'll send you another one? You probably threw it away tho..

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Does G drive his?

MellowVR4

IDK about thousands of miles. But he brought to my house once, and I think he drove it to Chicago a couple times. Havent seen the car since last year. so not 100% sure how its held up for him.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
2 things came into factor. 1 im no longer running a FP race manifold, im now using a evo 3 ported manifold. 2 after a few thousand miles all the fiberglass and heat packing started to break apart and leave dust and fibers everywhere in the engine bay, after seeing this i decided i no longer wanted to use it. i pulled the manifold off and compared it to the evo 3 and decided the evo 3 would be more then suitable for my needs. i made these discoveries and decisions while removing the 16g and installing the 18g.

My blanket is holding up great. I've probably had it on and off the car half a dozen times, and still no issues. I kinda figured after taking it on and off a bunch of times, it would just fall apart, but it's pretty durable. Each time I take it off, I paint it with a fresh coat of VHT flameproof before it reinstall it, which keeps it looking brand new. I've got at least few thousand miles on my blanket. 1837 isn't a daily driver, but its gets driven a lot more than say, Mark's Galant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...

...Definitely get's driven more than G's Galant...Although, I'm still not convinced he actually owns one.

Regarding the fibers, there are some residual fiberglass fibers on the manifold if I pull the blanket off. But, mine doesn't sh*t them all over the engine bay, and I don't have any issues like Shane is describing.

In the beginning, I was on the fence about dropping $100 bucks on the thing when I bought it, but I'm glad I did. There's nothing else that retains heat like that thing. My experience with it has been nothing but good, and I'd highly recommend them based on that.

If you want to sell yours, Shane, LMK, I may be interested.

MellowVR4

Interesting, I guess Shane might of gotten a bad batch. Like I said, I say he should try and get it warranted or something.

And G does have Gvr4's lol.. I've seen them both and he gave me rides in both. Along with his other cars that he has.

transparentdsm

well i never painted mine, i just left it the way it came to me. I think you may be right Mellow with just getting a bad batch, its a bummer because i loved how much cooler it made everything, but the stock shield is working well enough for now, i may buy a blacket for the new turbo as i cant get a oem heat shield on with the external WG. maybe ill make one.

Brett if i still had it i would give it to you, but when i sold the FP manifold the guy saw the blanket and wanted that to. i explained to him what was going on with it and he didnt care, even gave me 80$ for it. he didn't care it made a mess as long as it kept things cooler.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts