The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newbie (VR-4) powered Evo III

Hey guy and gals

New to the site, so thought I would say hello from Canada!

Don't own a VR4 but my Evo III is powered by a motor that was once in one. Does that count?

Make's pretty good power now, but plan to get it up to around 450-500whp by next spring and have a better power band. Going to be adding intake manifold and different turbo. Still looking into which way best suits my needs for a daily driver

Anyway's a couple pictures
DSC06297_zps9d69432c.jpg

DSC06290_zps44828f5e.jpg

DSC06294_zpsbbdd5a2e.jpg

James

Nice to see something different come around! Welcome. What's story behind the car.

Vr4junkie

Welcome to the board nice looking ride wish we got those in the states.

Hey by any chance do you guys get the Toyota Hilux diesel version out there?

SmoothCustomer

Nice looking car. Toronto eh? Nice. I'm in Buffalo and my brother is in Tonawanda. We always talk about heading up to Canada so if we are ever in the area I'd love to stop by and check her out or something!

Thanks Guys

Story behind the car... Well it started off life in Japan where it was modified from nearly day one with suspension, intake/exhaust, chipped ect. It also had a crazy integrated GPS type system with a flip out TV right from the mid 90's. Computers, antenna's, and 100lbs of wiring harness.

Then I bought it about 5 years ago and imported it, and the modding began @ 61,000km or so. First motor made great power with some minor bolt ons until I broke a rod and it came through the block....... So then came a replacement Evo II motor (slightly lower compression but better for boost) so I put that in and ran it at 22psi all day long for 2 years and lots of track days. Ran like a champ but got tired over time and power dropped off

Well then I got bored of the power and started looking into building the motor to handle more boost, however being every 7bolt I came across had loads of crank walk and no permanent fix. So I decided to build a 6bolt, and that's when I stumbled across this click
So I ended up picking up the complete longblock, and since then have just been power happy. Its never enough....

Fully built/forged 6bolt
-Kelford 272's w/HKS Cam gears
-TD05 20G hybrid
-HAFE Exhaust manifold
-Full turbo back 3.25" exhaust
-Upgraded piping
-Tial 50mm BOV
-Tial 38mm Wastegate w/screamer
-Walbro 255LPH
-Fuel Lab regulator
-FIC 690cc
-300M COP
-ACT flywheel
-Exedy stage 2/4 Frankenstein clutch
-Devils own water injection
-DSM link V3
and more I can't think of

Handling/braking mods
Evo X BC coilovers
EVO IV Lower control Arms
Evo IV front hubs
Evo IV Front Sway bar
5x114.3 lug Conversion w/ARP extended studs
Advan RG 17x8.5 w/225/45/17 Rcomp Continentals
Brembo Blank Rotors
Hawk HPS pads

Rest is all stock Evo III trans/ transfer/ diffs

You mean one of thses Hilux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
DSC01283_zpsc0a8e939.jpg

1986 LHD, 2LT turbo Diesel. Very rare truck, unforchantly I didn't have the funds at the time to restore it so I sold it to someone who had the only other LHD one I had ever seen in person. They were sold here in the 85 & 86 Model years. Very few sold even fewer are left. I bet less than 50 in the entire country and probably less then 10 still driven on the road

Any time your in the area, more then welcome to check out my shop/collection. I also have a built RHD MR2 Turbo track car, MKIV Supra, LT1 Powered Jeep Comanche street truck, and my brothers have a few neat toys as well including a Supra powered BMW E36 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

onesickcrx

Wow nice car man! The only two cars I was considering putting that motor in was a evo 3 or a conquest glad to see it made it. Super jealous of your car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is that your workspace/barn?

Man - that is an awesome space to work on cars! Nice Evo as well!

Where do you usually track the car? Cayuga? Shannonville?

Vr4junkie

Quoting kurptk:
You mean one of thses Hilux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
DSC01283_zpsc0a8e939.jpg

1986 LHD, 2LT turbo Diesel. Very rare truck, unforchantly I didn't have the funds at the time to restore it so I sold it to someone who had the only other LHD one I had ever seen in person. They were sold here in the 85 & 86 Model years. Very few sold even fewer are left. I bet less than 50 in the entire country and probably less then 10 still driven on the road

Any time your in the area, more then welcome to check out my shop/collection. I also have a built RHD MR2 Turbo track car, MKIV Supra, LT1 Powered Jeep Comanche street truck, and my brothers have a few neat toys as well including a Supra powered BMW E36 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes one of those me and my dad were in a hunt for one but at the end he just went with the Tacoma we weren't sure if we could even bring one into the states to get it registered insured ect ect. I know they sell them in central america but thats a little out the way. By any chance do you guys get the new Toyota Hilux
since the Hilux isn't available my next project is going to be a OM617 powered 4Runner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Last edited:

citymunky

OM617, like the 3.0L Benz 5 cyclinder 88hp diesal engine from a 300SD? Why would you want that engine?

Vr4junkie

I belive your thinking of the non turbo version the turbo version has 125hp and 180ft/tq . Reason for going with this engine one probably one of the most reliable engines ever produced easy to work plenty of low end torqe and loves to rev for being a diesel and runs on veggie oil.

Heres the 300sd I used to own
click which is now my dads. These little engines are simply amazing this car has 350k mi+ maybe even more and still starts on the very first crank my moms new CRV doesn't even start up that quick.

Heres a link of the OM617 4 Runner goes more into detail
click

theevozero

First off, you're an a-hole. Super jealous guy right here. I'd almost consider selling my left nut for an evo 3 and thats my favorite one.

Also, that gvr4 thread was awesome and got me all excited for that work of art, till the very end. Seeing the roof all caved in made me wanna punch a baby. But at least you got a good motor out of it. Awesome car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Hey guys

Yes that was my old place. It was a pretty big. Big barn out in the middle of a field lol, had a work shop in there. It was to big though so in order to save costs I moved everything into a 1000sq ft shop. Much nicer place though for working on cars in the winter lol
DSC04708.jpg

Ill half to take some pics of the new place

Your right about it being a 1G intake manifold. 1G head, was best I could do at the time. That's this winter I plan to let it breath and extend the powerband, Magnus Intake manifold, throttle body, and another turbo/manifold. Haven't decided what yet. I want street acceleration over big hp power. I use to winter drive it but decided to drive my Jeep Comanche this year instead. Makes more sense lol Other then I need to convert it to 4wd instead of 2wd and auto to manual, oh and lift it since its lowered lol But yea once that's done I will be putting it away for winter and cleaning it up.

I would like to repaint it this winter also but well see I don't mind the character. Im more concerned about it being faster then my brothers car lol. I went to the dyno the other day. I had it actually running pretty good for street tuning it and learning as I went along with dsmlink. About the only thing I did was Leveled out my a/f's a bit and put down 344/301 to the wheels @21psi... Ran out of injector, still 650cc with 3gph water injection 50/50. So I got some 750's I am going to toss in there and 5gph nozzle and run 75/25 meth. That was also on 91 oct. With more fuel and more boost 4-5lbs Id like to get 380-400 at the wheels? I don't want to go over 450 just simply that I would rather spending money to get over that hurdle on another car and my current turbo won't get me there.
DSC06620.jpg

wadeevo3.jpg

Dyno reads 2psi higher then was its actually.

So I am taking it dragging friday. Im aiming for low 11's. Running on some continental rain slicks 245/35/17, full weight (2700)lbs without me in it. Full interior working A/c everything. I've launched it so many time's so I have a pretty good feel for the clutch. Surprisingly it works well for a mild clutch. Haven't been drag racing in years to be honest. Just years of circuit racing now and I know how to drive it, Will be fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Yes Cory's car was stunning. I would love to build this thing to even half of that car was. A work of art. He builds a great engine. I have now worries about putting the power down with it. Its everything else lol

As for the hilux they are super rare here nowadays. Like I said mine was only 1 of 2 I had ever seen in LHD in my life. Original Canadian Truck. When I saw it I had to have it. But here they call them the Toyota Pickup here lol. But you could get a turbo diesel in those years here in Canada with a 5 speed. Were not very popular. Slow as balls, always started and never stopped. Body falling off could still go anywhere. And if you could find one it is legal for import into the states. When I was selling it I had people from all over the world calling me for a rusted out 26 year old truck all over and wanted to ship it to south america lol

This forum seems really hard to navigate the posting windows compared to other sites. Like replying? Is it just me?
Like as I rewrite this I can't see the previous posts for reference

ApexHunter

Hi and welcome. You can only view the post made before yours. I will generally open a new tab/window in my browser to create the post if i need to reference other posts in the thread.

I like that dyno plot. Pretty dang linear, nice broad torque curve. I imagine it's good fun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned