The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo III intake manifold and Cams...2G Head

JSchleim18

Trying to figure out the best setup for road racing. I am sticking with a 2.0.

I have a built 1G head with BC 280 camshafts, BC single springs, 1mm OS Stainless valves, etc.
I also have a JMF Race Intake manifold with the Magnus intake manifold gasket.

I want to ditch the 1G head bc I think it is better suited for drag racing, street monster.

I am going to pick up a 2G head with the same mods as my 1G head except cams and intake manifold. I have been debating on intake manifolds for a little bit now. I was thinking of getting the Evo III intake manifold because it comes with shorter runners and a larger plenum over a stock 2G intake manifold. But they aren't as short as a SMIM which helps keep some of my torque up in the low RPM range. I would mate the Evo III manifold to my current n/t rebuilt throttle body.

I am trying to figure out which one would work best in my application. Looking for some extra torque and something that pulls up to around 8,000 RPM maybe even less.

The biggest turbo I'd run would be a BB 50 trim. Just looking for a nice setup that broadens the power band. I have also been thinking about the best cams. Kelford 264/272 setup maybe?

Possibly the ultimate intake manifold would be an Evo III extrude honed?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

sleepyvr4

Hmmmmm - sounds like your existing parts conflict with your future interests. Those 280 cams gotta go if you intend to make use of the midrange - evoIII mani is a great idea but considering your overall goals I'd just get the smim and call it a day - and slap in smaller grind cams. You're on right track though...

I am running a 2g head w/ 264's - waiting on evoIII im right now. I have entirely different goals however - as I am shooting for spool/midrange with my setup (maxing 14b).

Hopefully I can get some dyno time soon and if possible I will post gains from evoIII im over 2g.

JSchleim18

That was the thing. I am buying this motor off my friend who had the motor built and I know who built it. The bottom end is what I want but the top end is set up more for drag. First thing I wanted to do was switch out the cams. Definitely going with a smaller grind. I want to get with Kelfords and they can build me a custom spec cam which would be cherry. I was also thinking 264/260 Duration, 11.00/10.35mm Lift. Street / Strip cams 300-500hp range or just a full 272. My main concern here is the best powerband possible. I'm not looking for top HP.

Ultimately, I want to give a 2G head a try. So if I do go that route, I'm going to have to ditch the JMF mani anyways bc it's made for a 1G.

So the story would be eiter a JMF street/race SMIM or an Evo III mani either stock or E/H.

Some Specs on cams:

Kelford 264 setup: click

Kelford 272: click

Here's my thinking:

2G head flows better for low end but doesn't pull up top as hard as a 1G head. I believe this can be fixed with a more aggressive cam and one of the 2 intake manifolds mentioned.

1G head flows well up top but not so much down low. Something to counter act that would be a cyclone manifold but it really chokes up top. Use a slightly lesser aggressive cam than I would in a 2G but it should help flow up top.

IMO, I think a 2G head just seems easier to achieve better torque numbers while still pulling strong to around 8 grand.

Or am I just an idiot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

Personally if I already had a 1g head all freshened up I would not go through the trouble of replacing it with a 2g head. Pick up some HKS 264/272 cams and if you are really itching to spend some cash there is only one aftermarket intake manifold I would pick up, and that's the Hawver manifold. click It's old school and has been tested time and time again and the timeslips and dyno numbers speak for themselves. It is also quite good at not sacrificing much down low for the huge gains you get up top.

Jeremy, give me a call and we can discuss this sometime Sunday. Also, Aaron has some very good points on this subject also. You are on the right track and you are correct, the head that I ported for you is not for road racing. Talk to you soon, Chris

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts