The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Guy to turbo's.

Hello everyone. I bought 1030 last month, and everything on the car was in really good shape execpt some general maintence issues, and a blown turbo. The car is right now 100% stock. Well I want to make 1030 a 300 hp daily driver. The engine has approximately 120,000 miles on it. I've been doing some reasearch on what parts would be good to buy/replace. I'm looking at buying:

EVO III 16G Turbo
EVO III Exhaust Manifold
EVO III O2 Housing
Some kind of Downpipe
Some kind of Exhaust
Some kind of Intercooler Kit
DSM Link 3
750CC Injectors
EVO 8 MAF
255 Walbro Fuel Pump
New hardware and gaskets for the replaced parts.

Now the question is does this sounds right? Am I missing essential parts? Do I need a boost controller, blow off valve, waste gate? I truely am new to turbo setups. I've worked on Honda's and old Datsun Roadsters, and have no experience setting up a turbo'd car. So if I've left out something like a particular bolt that breaks or what ever please let me know. I looking to try and get this all done by mid June. Are there any particular brands I should to look out for, or stray away from.

Thanks Guys

464/2K

before you mod make sure you do tbelt/bs belt and water pump. you will need a boost controller as you stated, manual is the best unless your really lazy. as for the blow off valve, id suggest a Tial. Get all new blots for the entire exhaust side, youll thank me later that you did. oh and get the turbine housing, o2 housing and exhaust mani ported while you have it apart.

Nartanian

Welcome. Got any pics? I also highly suggest you check the Ecu because the are known for leaky caps.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'd recommend you just go ahead and get 1000cc injectors. With link, there's really no reason to go with 750's when 1000's run perfectly for nearly the same money. More headroom is always good. Hell, you may even want 1150's. I hear they work as well as the 1000's. I'd say go with 1600's, but i already tried those, and they didn't work out so well on my car. I think they're more suited for E85.

fivestardsm

Welcome to the boards, do you have any pics?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

524of1000

don't forget an adjustable FPR to go with your wally

BoostedAWD91

definatly check out ur ecu to make sure the caps are all good. if u dont know when it was last done, do the timing belt, tensioner and so on. also i would remove the balance shafts if not done yet while ur in there. also upgrade to a fmic and piping. u will need some kind of boost controller and guage if u dont have them either. best thing to do would be post some pics and what all if anything is done to the car.
welcome to the board!

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have any picture right now. The car is in St. Louis, MO and I am in Hawaii. I bought the car off of these forums, there were a coupl eof photos on the for sale posting. The car is 100% stock. The only things changed on the car was the engine was replaced with the same type and the stereo was upgaded to a modern cd head unit. Is there any shops that I could get most/all of these parts from? How much do you think all this would end of costing me?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned