The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why remove 4WS

fuel

I think that would come under mechanical failure of some kind?

Only issue I've had with my 4WS, and I'm not even entirely sure if it is the 4WS at fault is when driving around high speed corners on the motorway with only small turns, it feels like the rear end is oscillating the steering - it was real severe when I had semi slicks fitted (stiff sidewalls), but with road tyres I can barely feel it. I'm wondering if it could be a worn suspension bush/ball joint/rear steering tie rod end at fault.

fuel

you would need some sort of valve or switch for when it's in reverse, as trying to reverse a 4WS car which rear wheels go the opposite way is a bit tricky - I know the 4WS Celicas have a switch purposely for that.

AnotherNewb

Quoting dmj:
.....but I hate that twitchy steering feel when going fast into corners. I have to make small steering corrections to keep the car stable....

+1

I personally don't mind the 4WS. It took some getting use to, and some money to repair a leaky line, but worth it to me to be able to keep the car in it's original form. Even things that have been removed to do mild upgrades like...intake, IC and piping, ect....have all been kept and stored. If the values were to ever raise, a mint stocker will be worth more than a ragged out, hack job any day. I've got to much money in 1947 as of now to ever think about selling her.

Last edited by a moderator:

flag24

Ask yourself are you a driver or do you want to be driven. The cars 4ws is not that progressive in engaging/disengaging that you can't feel it. If it were I'd be all for it. As it is no thank you. Thankfully mine ceased functioning a decade ago.

citymunky

So if 4WS was like this it would have be better?
4WS

fuel

I think the Honda system would be better - I see that the rear wheels turn the same direction as the front wheels for the first certain amount of degrees the front wheels are turning (ie for high speed lane changes), then as you turn the wheel further the rear wheels go back to straight ahead and then start turning the opposite direction, so would be ideal for low speed parking manoeuvres.

BrandonEchols

^ I want that system.
I never realized the honda worked that way.
I wonder if it's possible to retrofit it to our cars?

I have a 4ws 91 prelude SI I've had since a young teen and it only ingages under 15mph mainly for parallel parking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

misterfixit

I'll be driving a 1993 si vtec bb1 prelude over the next few moths as my galant comes apart for regeneration. The honda system is very good but in honda fashion has had a number of evoloutions. The '91 has a mechanical/hydraulic system and i can't eb sure of the operation oer a speed (look at icelord honda for the shop manual).

The bb1 has an electric ballscrew actuator for the rear rack and steers antiphase below about15mph and inphase above. Its like riding a magic carpet at low speed (a conrolled slide) and very sure footed at higher speed.

Mitsubishi have patented our system and patented it with two spool valves in the control block this was to mimic the honda behavior. I posted a schematic but the board is mega slow so i'll avoid the search at the moment.

I'm going to echo the comments of oscilation as the steering chimes in and out, just feels a little uneasy. Maybe due to sludge fluid cleanliness, has a big effect on hysteresis which is what i think is showing up as the oscilation.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned