The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power Steering, 4ws and e-brake

deusamo

So I've got a pretty major leak in the power steering that isn't going to be an easy fix. From the looks of it the leak is on the high pressure lines going to the rear, but I could be mistaken. I found a power steering rack from a 1g and the consensus seems to be that it is a direct bolt up (I don't care about 4ws and I'm leaning towards removing the active rear toe as well). I have a few questions about all of this, though, because I don't know much about steering racks (power or not).

1.) Most importantly, is it safe to drive a ps car without the ps in working order? It seems to me that it shouldn't be a problem, but I've read some random posts about the steering rack locking up due to a lack of lubrication. Doesn't sound fun, but it also sounds unlikely/impossible. Maybe I'm wrong though. Thoughts?

2.) Like I said, I don't care about 4ws. It would be neat, I guess, but it seems like repair is going to be quite expensive, and removal seems much cheaper. I'm more concerned about my budget than I am about a novelty, so I'm thinking it gets taken out. I read 4 bolt install/4ws removal, w/ pics , but I'm not 100% sure I get what's happening. We remove the low pressure lines entirely, and we block the two high pressure lines. Is that it? I know Telecaster removed the rear components as well, but that wouldn't be necessary, right? Obviously I'd like to head in that direction. My rear diff is covered in rust, along with a most of the stuff around it, so I would like to get all that out and replace it with non-rusted stuff, but that's lower on the priority list right now. Anyway, I know it would be better/cleaner to get a 1g rack, and that will happen soon. But if I can block those two lines and get a bandaid fix for a week or so, it would help a lot.

3.) The 1g power rack is only $30, so I'm thinking that's my best option. It's a few hours away, though and I can't pick it up for a little while. Anyway, are they a direct bolt in? Is there any kind of line modification necessary to make them work?

4.) Finally, anyone have any advice on replacing e-brake cables? My right rear one has completely snapped, and my rear left one is not far behind. I don't particularly enjoy not having a e-brake, particularly with a manual transmission when I want to park. I know I can leave it in gear, but I don't like using the transmission for a brake. It probably doesn't make a difference, but I don't like it.

Thanks guys!

mitsuturbo

It's kind of a pain in the ass to replace parking brake cables, but it's well worth the effort. I suggest after replacing them, you spray some lube down the line every once in a while.. maybe once every year or so, in order to prevent one locking up again. It's even worse when one gets water in it, and freezes every winter. I ruined 3 right rear rotors on one of my cars because of that sh*t.

LIV4PSI

A 1g rack will bolt right up. All you have to do is cap the lines going to the back to delete the 4WS, and maybe get a DSM power steering reservoir. I'm sure you have a local yard that is closer than a few hours away that can get you a rack.

deusamo

Thanks, mitsu. I'll be sure to keep them lubed. It's always amazing to me how much havoc can be avoided by little tips like this which amount to simple maintenance. I'll add this to my list of things to regularly do.

The only local yard I've found with a dsm is a 2g awd that is picked clean. All the others say they don't bother with cars that old. But there is a yard in Charlotte that is focuses mostly on dsms (their facebook page). I'll be down there this weekend anyway for class, so it's not much trouble. I just want to make sure that it's safe to drive the car with the steering as it is. I might jack the car up tomorrow and see if I can plug those lines, though. If that's all I really need to do, then that's awesome. It's still not easy, but it's piece of mind until I can replace the rack.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Best way to keep e brakes alive is use them all the time.

I have all the components of the 4ws if you are interested in a repair and it is a shippable part. Some of the front hard lines are still available new also if it is one of the short ones off the rack.

deusamo

How much? That could be an awesome solution...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Depends. Figure out what you need. Won't charge much really. Shipping will be the question if it is a big part.

I fixed three rusted lines on 855 (my 91) about 4 years ago, using new parts. Decided to keep it on that car.

When I started on 828 (my 92), I had so much of the car torn apart (but the 4ws was basically sound as the car had little rust), I removed the entire system without wrecking anything, to keep the parts as backups, and I plan to let my son have the car eventually, so taking off the 4ws was ok to me. Stored everything in my garage.

deusamo

It looks like I would need to replace pretty much everything. So I'm going to try to block some stuff off just so I can get ps back in the front. I'm not sure if I want to tackle replacing all the 4ws components in my driveway. It's not shaded, and I'll be doing it by myself. Not my idea of fun. Hopefully I can get the block-offs to work. We'll see.

deusamo

I can't even get the lines to budge. *Sigh. So I guess I'll try to find a garage that is willing to do it. So far most of them go cross-eyed when I mention four wheel steering. One even said, "We don't want to be liable for any issues that might result from blocking those lines." My response: "They're power steering lines, and the power steering doesn't work. Absolute worst case scenario: the power steering still won't work." I swear most garages are staffed by a bunch of old guys who know everything there is to know about a Chevy 350, and they can change the hell out of some oil. Tires, too. Such a waste of time. Just for kicks I asked for a quote on replacing my front ps rack as well as replacing both ebrake cables. $1500, parts and labor. Ridiculous.

/rant

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If you are going to block off the ports at the rack, you can cut through them so you can get a socket over the fitting and then get them loose. I blocked both rack ports with oil pan bolts and crush washers. Good for almost 2 years now.

I am not sure how this works with no oil in the rear though, as I took all that off as well.

i very recently has one of the lines from left to rt on the rack rust out a pin hole, i feel your pain i took the rack out of the car and used "KROIL" made by Kano Labs on the lines its magic stuff u let it soak in for a lil while and it will break anything free, i used it on an egr tube at work that i had cherry red with the sparkle wrench and it wouldent budge put this stuff on and 20 min later and a few light taps with a little hammer and it turned like it was brand new. ill get the website off the can tmr at work its one of those things if u own a gvr4 you need to have. if u have any questions about 4wps system or need part #'s let me know i just went through the trouble of workin on mine cause its one of the things that make our cars what they are and i wanted to keep it. best of luck!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned