The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tires tires tires

Flip4G63

the RA1 spins like crazy. from the launch till 3rd i'm blowing them off the ground leaving marks the whole way down. even under some VHT there spinning pretty bad. they can turn like crazy though. more of a autox tire IMO

Brianawd

Well I ordered the Falken Azenis RT-615 today from discount tires. Price was $480shipped to my door. Hope this work. Well any thing will work better than my BFG's KDW that are over 6years old and hard as a rock.

CP

Should have ordered the Hankooks instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

464/2K

i doubt brian will be doing much autox on these tires, most likey 130mph traps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CP

Any rain driving? Meh, I'll stop. After driving on both for thousands of miles in my GVR4, my conclusion was that the Hankook is a superior tire.

Brianawd

well I don't drive the car in the rain much. And as for autocross. Maybe once or twice a year. Car gets used for my weekend toy/drag car. But I do have to say all last week and every day this week it has been my dd.

CP
Thank you for the info if I don't like the tires I have I will try the ones you are using next time.

CP

They'll be great in the dry. I used mine for a different purpose and found that they sucked in the rain (as you would expect from looking at the tread pattern) and got slick after 4-5 hot laps. I chunked the Falkens WAY worse than the Hankooks.

stealthtt24

How do you like these tires so far? Im looking into 4 new tires and im not going to be DD'ing my GVR4, but I am hoping for 120 traps and dont want to spend a ton, just driving around town and strip, no autox or road racing...

belize1334

Here's my take on tires.

Street: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. 2nd best in Summer tires according to Tire-Rack. You just can't beat the price at 225/45/17 for $150.

Track: Toyo Proxes RA1. I don't track drive but my friend who does spec Miata and used to track is 400wph All-Track says that they're simply the best.

Autocross: Khumo V710 in the dry. Hoosier Wet for when it gets slick.

stealthtt24

Im doing 15's so im looking for something around $75 a piece, got any advice?

belize1334

You're severely limited in 15" but I think this seems like a reasonably good tire in your budget and size.

stealthtt24

Looks like a good tire. Im looking for something that doesnt wear too fast, isnt noisy, and is good for traction, about 400 hp. Its either those or maybe the Hankook Z212 RS2 that were mentioned, thanks!

Last edited:

CP

Quoting belize1334:
Track: Toyo Proxes RA1. I don't track drive but my friend who does spec Miata and used to track is 400wph All-Track says that they're simply the best.

The RA1 has been discontinued. The Toyo R888 ("triple 8") has taken its place. I used 5+ sets of RA1s last season on my Miata and think it was a great tire. Too bad it has been replaced.

slugsgomoo

Brian, if you do decide to order some drag radials at some point, talk to midnight_dsm (kyle) on pos. He runs the discount tire up here in bremerton and can probably get you the local hookup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
Brian, if you do decide to order some drag radials at some point, talk to midnight_dsm (kyle) on pos. He runs the discount tire up here in bremerton and can probably get you the local hookup.

No need for a set of DR. I have a set of QTP.

I think you've made it pretty obvious that your looking for better drag-race characteristics, ad I dont have much experience in that regard when it comes to tires. Here at work (Uvalde Test Track) we test a lot of street tires here; I'm not a driver, but I do get to see a lot of data. For those of you that happen to be shopping for street tires at the same time:

If your looking for a street tire with more dry grip, you should try Toyo's R1R. In a comparison against several other competitors, including Falken's 615, Dunlops Dirreza Z1SS, and Bridgestone's REO1R, they held the best lap time, and grip would last the longest compared to the rest of the tires. After about 20 laps on a 1.3 mile road course, all tires lap times dropped and stabilized to the same time as our SportContact3 (which remained stabile for the majority of the test). The worst performing after CSC3 tires were Yokohama's AD07, but it has great response and breakaway characteristics.

If you need something more wet-weather freindly, Goodyear's Eagle F1 is slightly expensive, but grips damn good. Dry they are on par with Conti's SportContact3, and wet they beat them by a good margin. I got to get a sample of their wet cornering grip a few months back in our '08 MB C-class (w/AMG suspension), and street tires shouldn't grip that well in the wet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I'm not trying to hijack anyones thread, I'm just trying to give some useful info.

Dialcaliper

^ Agreed - the Proxes R1R is a sweet tire for eating up corners - the feel is a little more vauge and rubbery than the Bridgestone RE01R, but the grip is better. They heat up fairly quickly for autocross, and stick like glue. We're running them on my girlfriend's Miata and they are a riot - pretty forgiving for driving up in the hills - the car will always stick once the tires are warm, even if you throw it into the corner a little faster than you meant to - they've actually saved my bacon several times.

Unfortunately, it must be said, they require more care and feeding than most other street tires. They are actually made of a similar heat-cycle tolerant "GG" compound that the R888 and RA1 are made of (in the US - outside the US, they have a sticker "GGG" compound for the R888). The 140 treadwear (instead of 100) is partially from the fact that the tread depth is 8/32nds instead of 6/32nds. They also tend to run wider than usual for a given size. The 205/50R15's we bought have a 7.9" tread and 8.5" section width, which is closer to a 215 or even a 225 in some tire models

It's important to understand that treadwear reported and measured by the manufacturer, not by some unbiased independent organization, so it doesn't tell the whole story. Personally, I think Toyo overstates theirs a bit because they want people to think they are a more durable and affordable dual purpose dry/wet combo street/race tire(which they are, compared to say, Hoosiers), but noone cares that much because the performance is there, and they don't get hard from heat-cycling as fast.

Some manufacturers will report lower treadwear numbers to give the impression that a tire is stickier (and people are pleasantly surprised that they last like a normal street tire). They all rely on the fact that most people will never switch tires that often, and will choose mostly based on reviews and recommendations.

The upside is that the R1R is essentially a "My First R-Compound" tire with deeper tread depth for better rain performance (the rubbery feeling is largely due to the tread depth) and are a bit more forgiving, more like a street tire that will warn you before it breaks away.

The big downside besides the durability issues is that if exposed to temperatures below freezing, the rubber will crack and fail just like any other R-tire! The "magic ingredient" that makes r-compounds sticky are various "water saturated" butyl compounds. When they get cold, the water freezes and cracks the rubber. A second set of wheels and tires is a must if it gets cold where you live, even if it never snows.

The sidewall is very stiff for a street tire (but not as rigid as a true R-tire) - definitely too stiff to "hook" well on a drag strip, and they must be aligned with significant negative camber, or the outer shoulders will wear off rapidly. Unlike most street tires, they must be warmed up to get them grippy - if you punch the throttle "on the way home from work" you will spin them. They also like higher than usual pressures, but are an awesome tire if you're willing to accept the complications of driving a race tire on the street.

The Miata handles pretty well already, but the grip from the warm Toyos is like no other street tire I've encountered. I'm sure there are other tires out there that can perform as well, but I'm gushing about them, because I'm certainly hooked.

If you're looking for a good "dual purpose street/strip" tire, Toyo has just started selling it's Proxes TQ, DOT legal drag radial, but the available sizes might be hard to fit under the fenders on the Galant. You might be able to squeeze the 255/50R16 under there, but they're a tad tall.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned