The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I knew this moment would come

coyotes

what clutch do you have mark? I need to start thinking about things like that since my spare motor is close to being wrapped up and I want to swap it in at some point this year.

prove_it

I tried Jacks drag test a while back and my ACT doesn't drag either.

I agree with Mark. Getting new parts for the hydraulic system and properly bleeding and adjusting the clutch make a big difference. I always tell people who do a clutch job to get a revised clutch fork, OEM throwout bearing, and new pivot ball. Also don't forget that old shift cables and a loose shifter can cause issues too.

vr4play

Speaking of clutches. I just picked this up this morning. It's the SS-x/B ceramic on both sides. It was recommended not to use the Kevlar on one side because I use slicks.

I bought this based on WOP's recommendation. TRE said my center diff was done and shipping back today for tomorrow. I've got all the gear stacks apart and ready to go back together with new parts later tonight.

prove_it

Looks damaged. Sent it my way and I'll properly dispose of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
I picked up an accumulator and was going to use it along with a slave that used a larger diameter piston to slow the engagement point of my old twin. But I honestly don't think it would have improved it enough to make me wanna keep the twin. I don't think I'll ever run anything with an unsprung hub either, single disks included. Just too harsh, IMO. Maybe I'm just getting old.

you should have put it in. You would have never got rid of the twin. Yes it really did help that much. I would say it was like a 2600 with a sprung 6 puck.

turbowop

It wasn't just the engagement that I didn't like. It was also the deceleration noise. And it's still not going to be as easy to leave from a stop due to how light the assembly is compared to a standard single disk. Especially in a heavy car like ours. I didn't like having to rev my car up every time I leave a stop sign or light. Not to mention those things don't like being driven on the street and can't handle the heat generated trying to drive them around like a normal clutch, thus requiring frequent rebuilds. I hardly put any miles on it and the guy I sold it to needed a bunch of new components to run the thing. Too much work, IMO. The juice isn't worth the squeeze for my goals. I'd rather just stick with the old single disk.

vr4play

Well after a long day of test and tune on Saturday and working through the night afterwards I got the car all back together for the first points event Sunday. The car ran fairly well although I am going to have to take the trans back apart and replace 1st gear syncro. I should have while it was out but I didn't have one. I noticed when I started to put it back together that the steel between the double syncro's was cracked. I replaced the steel but it almost doesn't work at all. The steel between 2nd gear synco's was broken into 3 pieces. I replaced that whole syncro but only had one spare. Got it all assembled and had the car back together about 12:30am on Sunday. I would like to give my fist impressions on this clutch. So far I absolutely love it. I need to re-adjust it because I thought is was dragging and that's why it wouldn't go into gear but that is not the case. I could not be that lucky. I haven't done any launches on it yet as it only has about 8 miles on it. I drove it 2 miles before putting it on the trailer and then about 4 miles before the event. Lots of forward and reverse. It feels almost stock. It doesn't have the harsh engagement I expected. I'm going to try and drive the car around some so I can get more miles on it before I launch it.

G

Staff member
Quoting vr4play:
Speaking of clutches. I just picked this up this morning. It's the SS-x/B ceramic on both sides. It was recommended not to use the Kevlar on one side because I use slicks.

I bought this based on WOP's recommendation. TRE said my center diff was done and shipping back today for tomorrow. I've got all the gear stacks apart and ready to go back together with new parts later tonight.

Looks like a exedy disc with re-painted clutch cover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned