The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tires tires tires

Brianawd

I need some help picking some new street tires. The BFG's just will not cut it any more. The fuckers are hard as a rock. Today on the way home from work I did a 2nd and 3rd gear pull with the tires still aired down to 16psi. The f***er painted 4 black lines down the road in 2nd and 3rd. I have no idea what to get.

curtis

Buy full out wet road race tires so if you do get caught in weather it want be ditch time.

The absolute best tires I ever had were a set of Yokohama A008RSII road race tires. This was back in my mustang days and around 94/95 they had 8 ply side walls, treadware of like 80 and traction a temp a. They ded hooked my car even on a 175 shot and I got 18K out of the back and like 24 on the fronts. Sounds bad but when you eat a set of goodyear eagle GSC's tires every 6 weeks in the back 18K was over a years worth of fun at a single cost.

Heres a right up I found on them from back then.

click me

Now days they have these

full comp A048's

tire rack comp page. The pirellis look sick and also like the wet radial hoosiers. As for mileage who knows on a street car VR4 I know normal tires don't wear at all and when you have some you hate they never wear out so these may last a year or 2 or 2 months . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif One things for sure they'll bite and break axles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Brianawd

Any one running these Falken Azenis RT-615

bustedsm

Yes and I love them! Even in the rain the car doesn't want to just lay rubber down the road and I'm only running 225/45R17s all around...

Dialcaliper

If you can muster the camber to run them, Toyo Proxes R1R seem like they could be pretty good street tire (brand new, 140 treadwear autocross tire). Full tread (rain tire) RA-1's or the new R888 (same compound, different tread pattern) if you don't mind running an R-compound on the street. All 3 call for 2.5-5.0 deg of camber.

Keep in mind also that sticky performance tires really don't do very well when cold. If you don't plan to warm them up before you use them (like gunning it on freeway onramps), you're better off with a harder street or all season tire (200-400 treadwear), as they will actually hook up better when cold than a soft race tire, which will just smear itself on the pavement. The Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S I was running before the car went up on jackstands were a pretty grippy, if a little hard all-round (all season) tire that will stand up to abuse fairly well.

Also, at 16 PSI, you're probably past the point where deflating will give you any advantage, and to the point where you're just unevenly loading the contact patch.

turbowop

Quoting Brianawd:

That's what Karter put on his car recently and seems to like them.

I'm not sure how much you'll like them for drag launching though. It seems that with the twin disks, people are having mad wheelhop issues with stiff sidewall'd street tires.

curtis

I just read up on them and grassroots magazine rated them #1 in may 07 and sport compact car like them also and built a project 350Z with them. Looks like a mean tire and has probably the thickest tread of all of them. I like em. Those maybe my new tires when the car leaves the garage under its on power again. That or a studded snow tire. Studded snow tires just look mean dirt rally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I got a video on vhs from a decade ago that I recorded, it was interviewing all these differnet car builders back then and reeves calloway said, " a car is only as fast as the tires under it " or some famous sh*t like that but it applys here

kartorium

THe azenis really aren't that stiff compared to some others in that segment.

I do like them though. They hook up way better than my old MX's. Its much harder to spin the tires now.

If you want them on the cheap I'd always recommend azenis or RS2's. Cam really likes the rs2's on his s2k.

curtis

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting Brianawd:

That's what Karter put on his car recently and seems to like them.

I'm not sure how much you'll like them for drag launching though. It seems that with the twin disks, people are having mad wheelhop issues with stiff sidewall'd street tires.

Thats what happened to me a week after I installed the ptt twin disk, The car wheel hopped mainly due to the pavement but it still rung off a drivers front then a week late rate the passenger rear. God I love that thing. Nothing better than knowing your clutch works and is putting the power out to the tires.}:D

turbowop

Quoting kartorium:
THe azenis really aren't that stiff compared to some others in that segment.

Maybe they're not the stiffest sidewall in their class, but that type of tire still has a stiffer sidewall than something like a drag radial. I think if Brian wants to run something that will hook off the line for drag racing, he'd want something a bit softer. Maybe just a set of fresh drag radials that aren't so old.

464/2K

brian, id recommend the azenis any day, they are amazing tires. if you want something with a softer sidewall id go for these
g-force-t-a-drag-radial.jpg

bfg g-force . this guy that always comes into my work with a pretty sweet civic has them and has yet to complain about them. before he had a set of Nittos and landed up switching to these 3k miles into them. the bfg's are considered a street tire still so you can get your 10sec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif on street tires.

edit:for got link

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Brianawd:

I run 255 40 17 rt 615 and traction won't be an issue for these as much as the broken driveline parts.
I think they are very stickey and will help out a great deal, after one run with some heat they stick like a mother f****R.

Cheap too!!!

Azenis are amazing tires for the money. I highly recommend them for people who like to turn. Preferably not on a daily driver (they won't last long)...

BadVr4

Quoting 464/2K:
brian, id recommend the azenis any day, they are amazing tires. if you want something with a softer sidewall id go for these
g-force-t-a-drag-radial.jpg

bfg g-force . this guy that always comes into my work with a pretty sweet civic has them and has yet to complain about them. before he had a set of Nittos and landed up switching to these 3k miles into them. the bfg's are considered a street tire still so you can get your 10sec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif on street tires.

edit:for got link

those are by far the best hooking street tire you can get. they wear pretty fast but are well worth it.

CP

Quoting Brianawd:

I'm not sure what you'll be using the tires for (generally speaking), but I didn't like the Falkens because they weren't great in the rain and they got slick after 4-5 hot laps. I ditched them with about 30% tread left last year and bought my second set of Hankooks.

For the same price, the Hankook Z212 RS2 is better in the rain and stands up to heat much better too. These are my current daily tires.

JSchleim18

I have also read that the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's are probably the best all around tires for Drag, Road Race, etc. but doesn't see a lot of daily use. They are probably $30+ more per tire than an RT-615 though.

powerplay

This is what is going on 525 once the brakes and wheels are done. I would look at the new Dunlop, Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. This max. preformance tire is supposed to be excellent and it is lower cost.

Olson

RE01r's FTW

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned