The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Quote:
Jas I'll PM you tonight, we need to get some stuff to Alex for the 4 bolt fitment and I need to discuss shipping methods.

Paul, I'm going to MA with the wife and friends. We'll drop by Al's shop this Saturday to drop off the small items and the exhaust I'll send him when he's ready to ship everything out.

John

cheekychimp

John,

Can you possibly take the downpipe as well, Al needs it for the fabrication of the O2 housing he is doing ... sorry if that makes things more difficult !!!

Paul.

sorry dude, can't do it. I'm going to have to walk to the back of my office and take the box apart and dig for the pipe then carry it down to the car and drive it up to MA, too much work.....J/K

No problem at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW I'll be going back to HK in Jan or Feb to change to my smartcard ID. So I wanna see the car ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

John,
I'll do my best. We are getting there. Iceman did me a huge favour and got in touch with Jon at TRE. So he has spoken with Al a few times since then and the Trans is pretty much on it's way. I'm waiting on some CF parts and an Intercooler setup and Al has to do tidy up the 4 bolt and fit the rear diff with the GGSX rear ring and pinion gear and we are about good to go.

If we are lucky, it might be done by December.

Paul.

cheekychimp

Well come on Al, don't keep me in suspense, what's the verdict? ... and what 'exactly' has/has not been done ... put me out of my misery ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

cheekychimp

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif NOT FUNNY !!! ... is 5th a standard gear or my taller one? Cryo treatment is $200 if it's not on the bill it's a good bet he hasn't done it same as forgetting the EGT probe and engine block magnet I reminded him about three times ... sigh !!!

OK ... need some advice guys ... very serious. I realize TRE are busy, and Im absolutely sure the work that went into this was top notch. BUT the fact remains that because of the much higher gearing on this, a double synchro 1st and 2nd was considered almost mandatory because of the very high likelihood of needing to change down to 2nd and 1st more than with standard ratios. Since that couldn't be done with the RS 1st and 2nd, it was suggested a full US spec gearset 1st to 4th be used. This was also what Jon recommended because he said the RS gearset wasn't as strong as the US gears. I also explicitly asked for cryo treatment because the engine is almost certainly going to make more than 400 ft/lbs of torque.

So should I;

(a) just take it as is ... drive it like I stole it and see what happens? (bearing in mind there are $3000 of diffs in there that will be pulverised if anything breaks !!!)

(b) beg Al to send it back and get it cryoed and the 1st 2nd standard ratios fitted with double synchros?;

or (c) take it, baby it and never get to use it to it's full potential?

Help me out guys, I'm feeling rock bottom about this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Bimmubishi

I choose A. Any damage as a result of non cryo'd parts will be to the gears and not the diffs. Better that be the weak point than the diffs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Get it fixed now how YOU want it. It's TRE's job to do the work or tell you they won't, especially in a timely manner. This is the reason I don't like dealing with Jon. I know many older guys have great experiences with him but he treated me pretty poorly before and during the sale, forgot other things I wanted to buy from him that I reminded him about repeatedly and didn't even get the transmission speced the way I wanted. He did take care of EVERYTHING so I didn't lose money including paypaling me cash to get the correct t-case. He is a good guy and does good work eventually. But my experience with the whole situation led me to never want to deal with him again.

Just my $0.02. This was 3 years ago so I can't comment first hand on today but this thread certainly doesn't make me want to give him my business.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cheekychimp

Well ... I actually did consider this, and it makes sense Al, but honestly speaking if a gear takes a crap in there will the diffs survive?

Paul.

Get it done the way you want it right the first time. Send the sh*t back till tis right.

cheekychimp

Alright next question. Is anything other than machining of the safts required necessary to fit a double synchro 1st and 2nd. I realize if we need cryo done it HAS to go back, but if we didn't do that could we just order a 1st 2nd gearset and shaft with the double synchros and have Al fit it?

Why send it to Jon in the first place then unless Al doesn't want the work? (real question)

My theory is you payed for TRE's work. Their shimming, their knowledge, their experience. If you have Al fit the new gears than that changes and you payed for something you aren't getting.

cheekychimp

Yeah ... you are right Chris. Al, I really hate to say this but I think it's best if you tell the lads not to waste anymore time on it. I'm really really sorry but it has to go back with a message to Jon that:

a) Engine really is a fully built monster and realistically likely to put out over 500 ft/lbs ... so we asked for cryo and we want it cryoed;

b) If he thinks that the best option was a US spec gearset because it allows fitment of the double synchros and it is stronger, then that's what we should have fitted. What's the point of leaving it up to his better judgement if he does one thing and then says "if it were me I'd have done this instead"?

c) Ask what 5th gear is installed, I want the taller 5th for fuel economy on the highway and balls out top speed ... nothing more

d) Ask him to send me a freakin' egt probe and engine block magnet.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but the transmission is crucial, we can't leave it like this.

Paul.

Last edited:

JB

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

cheekychimp

Of course Chris if you really wanted to help out, you could just give me your dogbox ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

a_santos

Thats right. I wouldn't take it if it werent exactly how I asked it to be. What a freakin idiot this John.

Have him do it right, like you want it, or give you your money back.

Holset power will break non-cryod gears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Quote:
Of course Chris if you really wanted to help out, you could just give me your dogbox ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

How much are you offering? lol

cheekychimp

I couldn't afford it ... Al's not talking to me ... I've pissed him off ... now I'm in the sh*t !!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned