The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starting the N/A to turbo, auto to 5 speed conversion

joec

The drivers side axle attached to the block was only on the AWD (at least for 1G DSMs). The FWD just had the regular axle. I think they changed axle size on the 1G FWD at one point (1992?). Later ones had a thicker/stronger axle -- don't know if they are interchangeable or you need to match the tranny and axles.

Some people were upggrading FWD to use the AWD axle, but I think you needed a spacer/adapter to fit the AWD axle into the FWD tranny.

14u2nV

Cool, thanx for the info. I'll double check before I try it. You know why the awd had it bolted to the block?

14u2nV

Great info. I think I'll just stick with the stock fwd axles for now, and see how they hold up.

14u2nV

New update: I got the engine/tranny in last night. It's been slow going, since it's been too hot to get motivated to work on it. All I have left is to hook everything up, run the intake and exhaust, and turn the key (oh, and pray).

FYI: I measured the diameter of the FWD shaft where it fits into the tranny, and the AWD shaft at the same place. They are the same diameter, so there should be no fitment problems there.

To get the AUTO shift cable out, you have to drop the exhaust, drop the heat shield and take out three bolts. Easy.

The motor mounts on the engine are interchangeable. The ones in the car don't look to be, due to the fwd only having one crossmember. Also, the AWD tranny mount, will not fit a FWD tranny. Wish I would have known that when I got the tranny, so I could pull the mount then.

I have a ton of pictures. I didn't think loading them all on here would be to fun, so I have a photobucket account, and as soon as I figure out how to link it, I will.

14u2nV

Got my starion I/C yesterday, and started fabbing it up. It's gonna fit in front of the condenser perfect, and I'll be able to keep the stock GS bumper (sleeeeeeper). Piping should be easy, and shouldn't take long. I'm working on getting a bigger o2 housing, so I can do the exhaust. I still need to get the pix up.

14u2nV

Here's how the Starion I/C should have been made:

Went from stock, which is 1 7/8" IIRC, to 2 1/2" now. That oughta flow a little better. Once it's all up-and-running, I'll probably get a bigger I/C, but this will work for now.

14u2nV

Ok, I took the stock fuel pump out of my gs since I've been told it is smaller than the vr4 pump. hmmmmm

Looks the same to me, even has the same part number. It needed replaced due to the nastiness, but apparently it's no different. ALSO: Gs has disk back brakes, don't know how different they are than the vr4, but it may be worth looking into.

Try not to make the outlets on the IC straight across. Staggered or at least in the middle is better. Otherwise you don't get the full use of all the rows.

3Diamond

YEah i have a GS as well, the rear discs are awesome, but if bearings go youre looking at 150$ each. Ask me how i know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14u2nV

I also got a hob-cobbled intake with all the stock stuff from Hertz, so I can get it running (It's got a 90 T/B, so it doesn't all work perfect). I want to try to get it as close to a stock vr4 as possible to get it up and going, then upgrade. Plus, the stock vr4 I/C fits the GS with no issues at all, and will fit behind the stock gs bumper. I am wondering about the MAS, as the vr4 and gs sensors are different. I seem to remember something about having to add wires for it, but need some knowledgable assistance. It's just got to be temp to get it running, as I have a maf for it that will be going on with the bigger I/C.

Hertz

Staff member
Oh, I totally forgot -- did you need intake piping and MAS from the VR-4? I have that as well, and a K&N.

14u2nV

WOOOHOOOOO! Got to drive it to work today. Still got some idle issues, and it still smells like burnt oil. BUT IT RUNS! It's so much fun. It will definitely light the tires up through third, and that's with the timing off, and not quite running up to par. I've already blown an elbow off the intake, then blew it in half about five hours later. Upgrades here I come.

JB

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

14u2nV

Ok, after driving it a day, I'm learning the quirks of it. Tranny is out of a 91-92 manual galant N/A, using my stock vr4 clutch. Shifts like buda. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Never even had to adjust anything, just put the tranny, shifter, cables all in, and it worked great. It has pretty bad idle surge and tries to stall at lights though. I'm gonna adjust the biss, but I'm getting error code 25 (baro). Think my mas is wired up wrong, or the mas is bad? It also backfires and cuts out when accelerating hard, which may actually be due to fuel cut, since it's hitting upwards of 15psi of boost. When I looked, inj were at 100%, along with the three things right above/below it. They are the vr4 stockers with the resistor mod.

Yiuwa

Check your MAS 'plug's connection to ECU with multimeter, with reference to the wiring diagrams from vfaq. It really sounds like you have them wrongly wired up

MAS and ECU

14u2nV

I tell you, someone upstairs is out to completely ruin my life. As if all the other problems weren't enough, I still haven't gotten the idle straightened out, which has now become a "I'm not gonna have any power at all" situation. Turbo spools awesome, but the car cuts out so much now, that it will barely move. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Not too big a problem, just some time to diagnose. BUT! As of saturday, it is leaking gear oil, from inside the bell housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif It pours out of the hole where the clutch fork is. Tranny still shifts fine, but it's gotta come apart. I'm sooooo sick of this crap. Maybe I'll just sell the whole thing as a parts car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned