The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing water pump

coyotes

Alright so I'm getting together a parts list to hopefully fix the o ring on the water pipe. Can someone chime in on anything I am missing and should pick up?

-m10x1.25 tap (for turbo threads)
-new ARP turbo -> manifold bolts
-Exhaust manifold gasket
-Water pipe O ring
-2g manifold
-turbo -> manifold gasket

What else should I pick up to do while I am in there? Much thanks.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Just get the stock bolts, the arp will seize if you don't have the correct anti-seize.

GSTwithPSI

You still need:

-Turbo drain line gaskets
-Turbo to manifold gasket.
-New crush washers if you don't want to reuse your old ones.
-Anti-Seize Lubricant for reassembly

coyotes

It's my understanding you don't have to remove the turbo to do the water pipe! Otherwise I'm just going in from the timing belt side. I'll take the turbo off when I put a bigger one on.

G

Staff member
Quoting coyotes:
I got the permatex antisieze. and the ARP and OEM are same price from JNZ.

Like I said, they will seize with the incorrect product.

GSTwithPSI

Well, you'll have to replace the manifold to turbo gasket either way. How do you plan to support the turbo with the manifold off? I think you'll just be making more work for yourself trying to work around it IMO.

coyotes

Yes you did say that but didn't tell me what the correct antisieze is. I've never heard that before, but I'll take your word on it.

coyotes

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Well, you'll have to replace the manifold to turbo gasket either way. How do you plan to support the turbo with the manifold off? I think you'll just be making more work for yourself trying to work around it IMO.

Support the downpipe with a jack was my plan.. People don't remove the turbo to change the manifold out.

transparentdsm

Quoting coyotes:
It's my understanding you don't have to remove the turbo to do the water pipe! Otherwise I'm just going in from the timing belt side. I'll take the turbo off when I put a bigger one on.

if your talking about the water pipe behind the turbo then the turbo has to come off because of the water line that goes from that pipe to the turbo, unless you plan on deleting you water feed to the turbo. or maybe not, i just remember the last time i was in there it was impossible to break the water line loose from the pipe and had to take the turbo out to get a better angle and more leverage.

Last edited:

coyotes

Got any pictures? I suppose I can remove the turbo, I was hoping to not have to though. Maybe I will just go back in through the timing side instead.

Wookalar

Yeah you should be able to remove the water pipe without removing turbo & exhaust stuff.

Remove the one 12mm bolt (might be a 14) holding the water pipe to the block, then it should pull out. Spray some wd40 to help it if needed.

Then on install wedge a piece of wood in between the frame and the water pump and after lubing the ring put it in place and give it a gentle help with a rubber mallet

coyotes

Thanks very much, that was the info I was hoping to hear. On installing waterpump I could never get a positive feel of getting the seal right around the water pump. Fooled with it for a while and never got that same *pop* you feel when taking the pump off the pipe. Just went ahead and installed it hoping bolting it down would seal things up. Guess not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hopefully can get it right when I pull the manifold off, now. Have to order parts so looking at next week I guess.

89Mirageman

Not sure about this. That coolant line that goes under the turbo from the main water pipe is a PITA. You'll have to pull the radiator for clearance to even get to it if you need to separate it. Maybe with the exhaust manifold off and the mounting bolt out for the water pipe to block out you can get to it but I'm not sure.

If it were me I'd go ahead and plan on pulling the turbo off to be safe. Since you're waiting on parts I'd start spraying down all of the bolts everyday with PB Blaster in advance just in case.

coyotes

Damn. Might as well put another turbo on it while I'm in there. What a pain.

I almost feel like I should let it sit and just out my new engine in it instead.

89Mirageman

Can you get to the 14mm bolt that holds the main water pipe to the block and take it out, then see if you can get that O ring to seat without having to take anything else off? Maybe tap the pipe with a rubber hammer or something.

coyotes

I will try that first, thanks. I'm off the next few days so I'm gonna pull the manifold off and see.

EHmotorsports

i would recommend replacing the manifold studs or at least having a few on hand if some break.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned